World of Warcraft: Classic

Shiftyx

Molten Core Raider
Isn't the current record (solo hunter) 4 days 21 hours to 60?

Are people beating that record by 20% now?

As far as I know, yes, that was the best time from Vanilla. However, that same person (Joana) along with dozens of others have been min/maxing routes and mining data from the beta since it went live. Based off the xp/hr they've been getting up to level 40 and estimates from the quest/mob xp data they've gathered, it seems highly likely the new record will be closer to 3 days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I have no respect for anybody who 'world firsts' just because they played 50 hours straight. Congratulations, nobody else was willing to harm themselves to be first in a video game level race?

Also, good luck getting 40 people to do that with you

Well I hate to break it to you but 100's of people do it for EQ, this game was orders of magnitude more popular so...

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
As far as I know, yes, that was the best time from Vanilla. However, that same person (Joana) along with dozens of others have been min/maxing routes and mining data from the beta since it went live. Based off the xp/hr they've been getting up to level 40 and estimates from the quest/mob xp data they've gathered, it seems highly likely the new record will be closer to 3 days.

There is no doubt in my mind really. If EQ TLP has taught me anything it's never underestimate autists trying to beat records.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whole lot of pity for the people trying that hard to level and clear MC that fast. WTF kind of life is that?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure, I have no doubts we will see week 2 kills but I am still kind of doubtful on the week 1. Many of the super fast power leveling things are AoE mob farming by mages which assumes there are no other people near your level to compete with for mobs. I am sure there will be some interesting dungeon farm groups and things to speed through.

I

Murked

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Unless they drastically change the respawn timers and leeway system, aoe mage farming is damn near impossible from what I've read on the Classic beta.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Well I hate to break it to you but 100's of people do it for EQ, this game was orders of magnitude more popular so...

I was the first 60 wizard on my EQ server in 2000 and that was after I stopped leveling to play Diablo 2 for awhile. I was also one of the first 60s on Hyjal and the first 60 Horde on Dentarg. And went to bed every night doing it.

This actually brings up the big reason why Classic won't be like the good old days: the players are different. Its a different game when it's spoiled to death and people are min-maxing quest routes to this extent. It really reduces the enjoyment of the game IMO, but it's not avoidable in old game remakes. This is one reason why I'm very in favor of diminishing returns on experience gain in MMOGs. It might save some lives with how the kids are nowadays.

TLPs aren't 'real EQ' to me anyway.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Using potions, what is this private server sorcery!? Us vanilla plebs didn't figure out that we could use potions until Burning Crusade!

I played in a pretty high ranked guild and I literally not once used a flask until like 7 bosses into naxx, I didn't even know they were a thing because I never took alch on any chars

xzi

Mouthbreather
This is one reason why I'm very in favor of diminishing returns on experience gain in MMOGs. It might save some lives with how the kids are nowadays.

This is the gayest shit I've ever seen with my own two eyes and I've kissed dudes before

• 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I played in a pretty high ranked guild and I literally not once used a flask until like 7 bosses into naxx, I didn't even know they were a thing because I never took alch on any chars
Making Ossoi right is an even greater sin than not using Flasks on progression bosses...

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I discovered Flasks in BWL when I came back from an absence. I was gathering lotus in EPL but I never used them until we were doing Naxx either. Most of our wipes in AQ were just mechanics failures, not really dps checks. Naxx was definitely more DPS checks driven.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm divided between a sense of respect and pity for the people who come up with ways to powerlevel like that. Respect in that it takes a lot of time, effort and dedication to crunch the numbers like that, and pity in that they speed through everything to get to the top as fast as possible. But I guess that's what WoW is designed for, it's not the journey, it's the destination that matters.

It's been 1.5 years since I blew off the dust off my old Lord of the Rings Online account, and my highest level character in all that time is my level 65 hunter (LotRO has a max level of 120). It will be another 1.5 years of leveling before I see max level, if I push it. LotRO has taught me the value of the journey. I don't think I can go back to a WoW type game.

• 1Like

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I'm divided between a sense of respect and pity for the people who come up with ways to powerlevel like that. Respect in that it takes a lot of time, effort and dedication to crunch the numbers like that, and pity in that they speed through everything to get to the top as fast as possible. But I guess that's what WoW is designed for, it's not the journey, it's the destination that matters.

It's been 1.5 years since I blew off the dust off my old Lord of the Rings Online account, and my highest level character in all that time is my level 65 hunter (LotRO has a max level of 120). It will be another 1.5 years of leveling before I see max level, if I push it. LotRO has taught me the value of the journey. I don't think I can go back to a WoW type game.
I did the same thing with Lotro. Experienced the actual game and stuff and just leveled slow. It also helps following the lore and the community of that game is so much more relaxed.

Who wants to bet the first to 60 is going to be someone exploiting phasing somehow

Edit: no idea why it quoted like that I suck at using this phone

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

I am going through that right now with FF14. I can play tons of new content and better source material, take my time, on a couch with a controller no less, and have tons of NEW content and new game play mechanics.

My take on WoW Classic is been there, done that, it was awesome, made a few great friends, laughed a lot, was epic in 2004. It's over. Time for something new.

• 1Like

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I always enjoyed the leveling process the most in WoW, because it really seemed to matter when I leveled. I never played LoTR online, but you can buy level skips in FFXIV and everyone who already played through the story and quests just levels through mostly roulette (running dungeons we've run a million times before) and PoTD or HoH. I think you can have a long honeymoon phase with nearly any game if you decide to take your time. My first time through WoW was nice and slow. I took my time, enjoyed the world, fished, cooked, read the quests, did almost all the dungeons while exploring the huge world. At least it felt huge since you couldn't just teleport anywhere easily like you can in games like FFXIV. I started so many alts when WoW launched that I didn't hit max level for quite a while. I really think a lot of the old MMORPG community fostering philosophies are alive and well in classic WoW that are just frankly missing from games like FFXIV, and that's something I'm really looking forward to re-living. Also the PvP, which frankly is balls in FFXIV.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I hate leveling, especially solo. Give me a raid (pve or pvp) or let me tank a dungeon anyday. I always liked the community aspect better, EQ was great because it forced it on you. I could give a shit about lore or reading quest text.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Leveling makes sense from a DnD standpoint. You play short campaigns and your power level is gated by the stats and skills/spells/etc available to you as you level up. And you're typically never hitting max level with your DM creating content to your party's level.

But it's balls pointless in an MMO where the character progression continues through gear acquisition after max level. It's just 100+ hours of supposedly teaching me how to play my class, but not actually teaching me a f'ing thing because gameplay changes pretty radically in a dungeon/raid from what I was doing in the open world.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Depends how you play. For some people it's just a hurdle, for some people it's their favorite part of the game, for someone like my wife it's the only part of the game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I was the first 60 wizard on my EQ server in 2000 and that was after I stopped leveling to play Diablo 2 for awhile. I was also one of the first 60s on Hyjal and the first 60 Horde on Dentarg. And went to bed every night doing it.

This actually brings up the big reason why Classic won't be like the good old days: the players are different. Its a different game when it's spoiled to death and people are min-maxing quest routes to this extent. It really reduces the enjoyment of the game IMO, but it's not avoidable in old game remakes. This is one reason why I'm very in favor of diminishing returns on experience gain in MMOGs. It might save some lives with how the kids are nowadays.

TLPs aren't 'real EQ' to me anyway.

So is classic WoW not going to be 'real WoW' to you? You just sound like you are salty about not having enough time to play to me.

• 1Picard