World of Warcraft: Classic

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's like when you have the rubber room in highschool. You gotta have somewhere to put the retarded people so the rest of us can avoid them

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You think you do, but you don’t. - the full smug cuntiness of Jay Allen Brekk who is now in charge of the whole fucking company makes me wonder if he really does want this to succeed.

Plus I think the better things like Classic do the more it shines a light on how different the current version of the game really is, and why you should keep retarded EJ theorycrafters away from design.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You think you do, but you don’t. - the full smug cuntiness of Jay Allen Brekk who is now in charge of the whole fucking company makes me wonder if he really does want this to succeed.

The leadership worries me the most about all of this. That's true. I do believe that there are passionate people on the team who really want this to succeed though. Maybe we'll even get a change in leadership eventually.

Plus I think the better things like Classic do the more it shines a light on how different the current version of the game really is, and why you should keep retarded EJ theorycrafters away from design.

I really hope so.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
We already had this, more or less, two decades ago in Ultima Online.

That branch withered and died while the EQ/WoW one grew to bear the shitfruit still being consumed today.

Technology has really enabled developers to add a lot of rails to their games. Interactive maps, group finders, waypoints, flying mounts, etc. are things that were added to games because it was new technology and seemingly added quality of life. Now we all know that some of those QoL changes were for the worse.

These kinds of cycles aren't exclusive to gaming. The hand-made trend that popped up a few years ago was a response to the reality of mass-production gone awry. The cheapness of everything spawned a resurgence of well-made goods and everything that died off in the 90's, from bakers to smithies, have kind of popped up again.

With new tech comes the learning process of how to deal with it and understanding the consequences of making things easier. One of the original lead dev's, I think the video was posted here, talked about the rules they used in Vanilla and how flying mounts never would've made it into the game because it violated the rules. I think he discussed wanting players to experience the world [of warcraft] and making sure they didn't build features into the game that bypassed that.

I think players in the genre are currently experiencing a hangover from QoL tech and miss the inconvenient parts of games that actually make them fun.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As soon as you have a primarily instanced world where you don't have to travel to a dungeon/raid to do it then any arguments against flying mounts goes out the window.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The only new tech that has improved the gaming experience was the quantity of people in a single group. Blew my fucking mind in closed beta back in 2004 when I was apart of one of the first groups with 40 folks after they enabled raid grouping. It's regressed since then.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So is this "layering" going to take away the whole player reputation aspect that was so nice back in Classic? You actually knew names and if they were good or bad. Transmog isn't in, right? So at least we can go back to being able to spot the Raiders and PvP'ers based on how they look!

misery

So is this "layering" going to take away the whole player reputation aspect that was so nice back in Classic? You actually knew names and if they were good or bad. Transmog isn't in, right? So at least we can go back to being able to spot the Raiders and PvP'ers based on how they look!

There's no Transmog in Classic.

This is the effect layering impacted the beta. Layers

Layering description from WoWHead.

Layering will be the alternative to the sharding technology in Classic WoW. In short, sharding is a technology used in retail WoW, it distributes players to different versions of zones based on local populations for zones, in an effort to balance players around and create smoother game experiences. However, this technology also separates players and creates awkward phasing situations where players or NPCs suddenly vanish from your screen.

In order to maintain an authentic Classic experience, Blizzard had already previously spoken against the presence of sharding in the game. However, as the sharding has been one of the main tools to keep stress periods like patch releases and expansion launches smoothly in recent retail WoW history, they developed an alternative system to deliver the same experience for Classic, which is Layering.

Instead of balancing players around shards of zones and combining players from multiple realms, layering will allow realms to create a separate instance of themselves to balance their own population. However, unlike sharding once in a layer, players won't leave this layer in favor of a better one whenever they move or change zones, removing the awkward phasing present in retail. The only way to change a layer will be to enter a group, which will have all players from the group in the same layer.

However, there are instances in that video where no group changes occur and yet the mobs are directly phased out when the player passes over a trigger point. So that description isn't completely accurate, unless the closed beta layering system was incomplete.

Supposedly, layering will be removed when phase 1 is complete, so it shouldn't be a permanent issue. It's impact on the game and the community is anyone's guess.

misery

This news is a few days late, but I just found out and thought someone else might find it interesting. The last stress test that was scheduled for July 26th-27th (or around there) has been changed to "Date To-Be-Determined."

The blue post said the launch date is still planned to be the same as before. Here's the thread on the Blizzard forums for anyone interested.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
1 month to go, who else is excited. I've been doing speed runs on a emu. Been getting my first 24 hours down pat so i can avoid the massive amount of people that will play this.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
It’s tough to really commit to a certain path, at least for the first few levels. In Durotar for example, if you are positive you can be the first person to accept the Sarkoth quest and kill him, that is the best thing to do. But if enough other people on your layer do it too, odds are that you won’t get the tag and have wasted a couple minutes. I’ll be a lock so I’m going straight for the cultists to get my imp ASAP and then doing a couple more quests and getting out of the valley at level 3 since the imp lets me solo level 5 mobs efficiently.

I do plan on doing a few runs through Durotar and Barrens though since I’ve typically played Undead or alliance and don’t remember those zones very well.

The biggest thing is to just poopsock more than 99% of the server for the first few days so you get ahead of the curve and stay there.

misery

1 month to go, who else is excited. I've been doing speed runs on a emu. Been getting my first 24 hours down pat so i can avoid the massive amount of people that will play this.

I'm also excited. I haven't been doing speedruns though, because I have a path down already. Or more importantly, I know what needs to be done and at which levels and what can be skipped if needed. If launch is anything like the stress test, you might have a very different experience from your speedruns. Monsters supposedly spawn much faster on private servers, they path differently and more. It can be a good idea if you're unfamiliar with the zone to watch a quick playthrough or do one yourself I guess, but I wouldn't keep repeating the same content so much that it becomes mundane to you. Also you might want to stop doing speedruns a little before launch just so you don't burn yourself out completely. It could just be a personal thing, but starting fresh while not playing anything similar for a month or more does wonders for my motivation to level and grind. That's why I dropped FFXIV a couple of weeks back too.

I definitely share your excitement though. 30 days and 2 hours from launch at the time of this post. Even shorter for name reservations and initial character creation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Probably that Northdale shit but even that I am not sure about this close to Classic launch you might as well just wait.