World of Warcraft: Classic

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Oh absolutely... but WoW classic results in an inordinate amount of completely wasted useless time/frustration... as opposed to like going to play basketball or cycling or something. You never go exercise and then just sit there and can't with your thumb up your ass.

But I'd love to be able to play casually 1-2 days a week like on a saturday or something.. but yea like the guy above I'll be level 60 in about 4 months and geared in blues in another year... lol

Yeah I totally get that and there is a fair bit of downtime with playing an MMORPG, and if nothing else you learn early enough in playing Vanilla again that holy shit is there a lot of running around and waiting. It is kind of amazing though when you think about it, I remember when we came from EQ we enjoyed wow but thought it was dumbed down and simplified, just think of the tedium of old school Everquest today.

As to the 2nd point about taking 4 months to level into blues... I fail to see the issue. I mean there are plenty of degenerate retards like me who are going to plow through levels but it isn't like everyone has to play that way. Unless you have that competitive streak and once you log on that addiction hits and next thing you know it's 5:30am and you are close to hitting that next level and you just need to do one more quest before you can log.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And when too many people stick around come layer removing time?

You have a crowded fucking server.

They could make some 4d chess moves like having a really truly packed server keep a couple laters an extra month. Maybe go 5d chess and have extra layering purely for prime time that cuts out when people log off.

Instead they refused to layer, didn't add enough to compensate, and it was truly and literally impossible for someone logging in around 9pm est to get onto ANY pvp server before midnight.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
So Blizzard did this the wrong way, what's the right way? Let's assume they can't accurately predict demand since I think that's unreasonable. There are people in this very thread that likely have been unsubbed for years but only became interested in the month leading up to release.

The only thing I can think of is guarantee low population realms will be semi-aggressively merged to maintain a near-full capacity.
The right way is to have infinity layers per server. And when they start shutting layers down in P2, offer free transfers to new servers.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I totally get that and there is a fair bit of downtime with playing an MMORPG, and if nothing else you learn early enough in playing Vanilla again that holy shit is there a lot of running around and waiting. It is kind of amazing though when you think about it, I remember when we came from EQ we enjoyed wow but thought it was dumbed down and simplified, just think of the tedium of old school Everquest today.

As to the 2nd point about taking 4 months to level into blues... I fail to see the issue. I mean there are plenty of degenerate retards like me who are going to plow through levels but it isn't like everyone has to play that way. Unless you have that competitive streak and once you log on that addiction hits and next thing you know it's 5:30am and you are close to hitting that next level and you just need to do one more quest before you can log.

It's not really an issue to level or gear slowly other than I was competitive at one time and geared in full BWL/AQ gear and it'd be frustrating to be newb geared again.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
They should have just used a masked form of real phasing. Wanna log on to Whitemane? you log into Whitemane on your character select screen, but on the backend Whitemane is actually Whitemanes 1-10 with a shared character list, chat channels, and auction house, like a battlegroup on live. a guy in WM 5 gets invited into a group in whitemane 7? phases him over to 7. As hype population shrinks, IF it even shrinks, they could shift everyone to 5 whitemanes or 1 whitemane, shrug, it'd be transparent. They could even optimize it with shifting members of a guild onto the same server-phase by default. Zero-queues and high population. >;p

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
They should have just used a masked form of real phasing. Wanna log on to Whitemane? you log into Whitemane on your character select screen, but on the backend Whitemane is actually Whitemanes 1-10 with a shared character list, chat channels, and auction house, like a battlegroup on live. a guy in WM 5 gets invited into a group in whitemane 7? phases him over to 7. As hype population shrinks, IF it even shrinks, they could shift everyone to 5 whitemanes or 1 whitemane, shrug, it'd be transparent. They could even optimize it with shifting members of a guild onto the same server-phase by default. Zero-queues and high population. >;p

This is what they said layering was.. almost verbatim

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Thats exactly what the layering is, or at least how they described it. I guess it just doesn't work for shit.

yerm

Thats exactly what the layering is, or at least how they described it. I guess it just doesn't work for shit.

They turned it off. That's why I'm so salty. They literally have the tool in front of them that solves the entire problem but refuse to use it.

They told Forbes that they don't want to use it because it will cause too many people to end up on a server and make it less like a community in the same breath where they claim they have tools for free transfers, and also that they expect numbers to drop anyway.

It's insane.

• 1Solidarity

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
They turned it off. That's why I'm so salty. They literally have the tool in front of them that solves the entire problem but refuse to use it.

They told Forbes that they don't want to use it because it will cause too many people to end up on a server and make it less like a community in the same breath where they claim they have tools for free transfers, and also that they expect numbers to drop anyway.

It's insane.

Well thats fucking stupid

I mean everyone should be on 1 "server" even if there's 20 million people because it makes everything more vibrant if its crowded. Should just be infinite dynamic sharding once it reaches a desired crowding level. I thought thats what they were doing.

Siliconemelons

Classic existing is a big blow to their pride - so they are still hand waving it away as a simple fad that they indulged.

The "Classic MMO RPGS are the best! WHy cant you just make a 'modern one for us!?" has been a cry since... BC really.

"The market" has ignored it, saying those voices are small and could not support a real AAA title or dev or anything - and the emulator success is simply cheap freeloaders that are scamming the system, not an actual market share that could be leveraged.

Right now the bean counters are looking at classic and sure they are happy they are getting sub monthly $$... what they do not like is that these people are not going to buy 50$ xpacs every Y term.

I haven't read? but if its not already (and it may be) - I bet you will need to have a up to current xpac to play classic.

Additionally this is disruptive to a market that has been focused only on trying to "be new WOW" and that WOW is of current expansion - not ever "going back"... Blizzard seems completely unable to bring the magic for a WoW2 or SCMMO to fit this "newfound" playerbase that inverstors are going to want to leverage...

So... with that, I hope we get a new "classic" type MMORPG out of all of this and blizzard can suck it.

• 1Like

yerm

Where did they say that they turned off layering?
I've not seen that anywhere but I've seen multiple posts that it is not being implemented to its full capacity.

A few offhand posts in their forums, or the big one to me is Ion's interview. They specifically state in several places that they are against using layering except as a last resort and they do not want overpopulated servers (even though they also claim pops will rapidly drop...)

Servers are hitting caps and not adding layers to funnel more in during peak times. Some queues were well over 900 minutes last night with 30k people in line. 30 people getting in per minute = only log offs replaced, zero new capacity. Most of the newly released were around 3 hours and 6k line, so same deal. Once full they didn't layer in more.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
hMXZtiPTB0gRG2z7T95w4WFq7l7mJ2_KIRJJCXsb_z4.jpg

iu

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Classic existing is a big blow to their pride

Maybe to like 5 individuals but classic existing is giving blizzard an insane surge of money and companies don't believe in pride, only that sweet sweet sub number

xzi

Mouthbreather
also it's really, REALLY fucking stupid I can't play BFA while playing classic

and by playing I mean waiting in queue for 8 hours

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
also it's really, REALLY fucking stupid I can't play BFA while playing classic

and by playing I mean waiting in queue for 8 hours

I used my AH account to play on a low pop dogshit server as alliance as I wait in queue on Whitemane.. High IQ plays