World of Warcraft: Current Year

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The more I think about RFDT(rage from damage taken), the more I'm surprised they brought it back. I was hoping that linking active mitigation to RFDT and freeing threat generation from resources would make the system work. But even then, the system has some conceptual problems.

If I parry an attack, no rage gain. I'm not assuming this, this is pretty well known.
If I absorb an attack, do I gain rage? If no, that means a disc priest shielding me actively hurts my mitigation. If yes, it means IP has some serious scaling issues(in the OP and spammy sense of the word). I have no idea how to link twitch videos at a certain timestamp:

But at 6:28:00, the tank picks up 89 stacks of dripping fangs and spams IP to heal through it.

Increasing my crit and hp make IP worse because they lead to less RFDT. Increasing my mastery, str, haste, and versatility make IP better and worse. Absorbs, I have no idea.

Ugh, why Blizzard? Stupid fucking system.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The more I think about RFDT(rage from damage taken), the more I'm surprised they brought it back. I was hoping that linking active mitigation to RFDT and freeing threat generation from resources would make the system work. But even then, the system has some conceptual problems.

If I parry an attack, no rage gain. I'm not assuming this, this is pretty well known.
If I absorb an attack, do I gain rage? If no, that means a disc priest shielding me actively hurts my mitigation. If yes, it means IP has some serious scaling issues(in the OP and spammy sense of the word). I have no idea how to link twitch videos at a certain timestamp:

But at 6:28:00, the tank picks up 89 stacks of dripping fangs and spams IP to heal through it.

Increasing my crit and hp make IP worse because they lead to less RFDT. Increasing my mastery, str, haste, and versatility make IP better and worse. Absorbs, I have no idea.

Ugh, why Blizzard? Stupid fucking system.
You're coming around man. This is a beautiful transition

As for rage from absorbs I can't remember but I can test it later. My initial thought would be no as it would be double dipping and blizz hates warriors now.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The Diablo experience is getting to me. WQ procced a tit-forged trinket for my Demon Hunter, ilvl 870. Obviously it had fucking crit on it which was the first downside but I thought waoh, 30 ilvls higher than what I have, surely it's an upgrade. Well apparently it isn't because my 840 versatility trinket gives 3% versatility which means my regular Shear is doing more damage with it, even though I'm losing almost 400 agility from not using the tit-forged one.

That's because secondary stats, value of main stat and scaling blow chunks in this expansion and your example can happen regardless of RNG ilvl upgrades. You would be in the same shitty situation if the item had been a natural ilvl870, titanforged is not to blame for that. The lack of stat balancing is the real culprit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're coming around man. This is a beautiful transition

As for rage from absorbs I can't remember but I can test it later. My initial thought would be no as it would be double dipping and blizz hates warriors now.

For the most part, the system is ok. I mitigate more damage, I don't need to press my non-percent-based active mitigation as often. So, it acts like a quasi-percent-based mitigation. However, it's complicated, unintuitive, and feels bad being rage starved even if you are holding threat fine.

The absorbs is what gets me. If you get no rage from absorbs, that means using IP hurts subsequent uses as does other players shielding you. DH's have the same problem but it's not as bad because the ratio of their PFDT is not as high, nor do they use that ability as much as warriors use IP. If you do get rage from absorbs, it's a possible runaway situation(as shown in that video) that's only stopped by the ability's cooldown.

What do you mean by double dipping?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Nyth/Tree and maybe the world boss (depends on which one it is).

All other bosses is EN have mehhh gear for guardian druids

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Whatever has the biggest baseline upgrade. Atm in EN that is Nyth, Cenarius, and...something else.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For the most part, the system is ok. I mitigate more damage, I don't need to press my non-percent-based active mitigation as often. So, it acts like a quasi-percent-based mitigation. However, it's complicated, unintuitive, and feels bad being rage starved even if you are holding threat fine.

The absorbs is what gets me. If you get no rage from absorbs, that means using IP hurts subsequent uses as does other players shielding you. DH's have the same problem but it's not as bad because the ratio of their PFDT is not as high, nor do they use that ability as much as warriors use IP. If you do get rage from absorbs, it's a possible runaway situation(as shown in that video) that's only stopped by the ability's cooldown.

What do you mean by double dipping?
I just mean if you blow rage on IP then get rage back that's a double dip

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I just mean if you blow rage on IP then get rage back that's a double dip
I don't think that's double dipping. That's just getting the rage you would have gotten otherwise. The alternative(no rage on absorb) means spending rage on IP(or Shield Block) means you get less rage for subsequent uses of IP. Active mitigation hurting itself is just bad.

I'm fine with things like gear upgrades "hurting" your active mitigation because those aren't decisions you make during the fight. It's not great either because it makes picking upgrades even harder than it already is. Note how there are no stat weights for prot warriors. Just generalized schemes of haste percentage then mastery/vers or just straight up vers/mastery.

Is that 870 mastery/crit an upgrade over your 835 mastery/haste? Do you know for sure?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Last night was the first time I was queueing as a DPS for LFG.

Fuck that shit...my DH tank is instant, my Monk Mistweaver is instant, the Mage...36 mins and 48 mins.

I'm going to have to beg my healer friend to group up with me I guess. :)
Lol... welcome to the DPS life. Especially on normals for a new DPS.

There were a few that said it won't matter, because it's a new expansion and so many people would be playing, so the queues would be short. Not the fucking case. Heroics it does get a little better, but it's still 10-25 minutes, compared to instant for tanks/healers. I've resorted to just doing WQs for my gearing up stuff, especially as the WQ equipment seems to have gotten a bump recently. Good shit is dropping from there. That'll easily bump you past the 810, and then just start queuing for heroics while doing WQs after that.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blood trader items will be more valuable once the poopsockers are wiping on Nighthold. At least that's my plan.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At this point saving your tokens for Trials of Valor which will be out next week is probably the best right?