World of Warcraft: Current Year

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I liked the way FFXIV did this. There was a point (i.e. achievement whoring) in getting player recommendations at the end of an instance, so people were less likely to ditch because they had to catch 'em all to get to that next level.
Achievement is ok. Depends if you want to change people's behavior, or simply replace our brain-limited social sense with a computerized augmented version.

Otherwise, you can also use big social data and recommendations algorithms.

Ultra simple version: You can friend (+100%), thumbs up (+50%), thumbs down (-50%) or ignore (-100%).

If you don't have a setting for someone, then it's current +/- % is simple: it's the average of values that this player got (20% of score), plus the average of values that your friends or thumbed-up people have set (half score for simple thumbs up, full score for friends, quarter score for guild mates).

Whenever you see a group in LFG tool, the score of the group is the leader's score, +average of raid/group members. When you talk to someone, or you get prompted, you also see the score of the person (a simple smiley system to determine score range, value gets displayed on mouseover) so you get an idea of who is looking to group.

You can score anyone you've interacted with recently, even if they left the group/raid 5mn ago to go back to their server.

(and yes, that means you can neg realm hoppers if hate those people)

Voilà. A simple reputation system. A complete stranger will be tentatively noted, someone who interacted with your social group in the past will get a more accurate score. The more you interact (and score) people, the more accurate a view of unknown people you get.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Ultra simple version: You can friend (+100%), thumbs up (+50%), thumbs down (-50%) or ignore (-100%).

On paper, this works well. In reality, it has too much potential to backfire (mostly because luls) when you're talking about negatively rating someone. If you have the ability to curb stomp someone into the shit forever, some people will make it their life's work to do so to as many people as possible, and since there are a lot of people out there who think this way, such a system would probably become fairly meaningless, fairly quickly.

That, and you're not talking about a fair playing field here to begin with. You've got the people who will downvote because they don't like your name or your hat or they're complete asshats or whatever, then you've got the regular plebs that will use the system properly, then the ultra elitists who will kick you because you aren't doing 500k dps or getting +3 on a m+ and will downvote you unless you're the second coming of Jebus. All of these groups will grade you differently based on factors that potentially have nothing to do with your actual value as a group member.

Oh, and your friends can upvote you to the moon, I'm assuming, counteracting anyone else's opinion.

So, yeah, good on paper. Not likely so good in reality.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The system is perfectly fine the way it is. Cross realm grouping is the best thing they've ever added to this game.

Sounds like a lot of you are eager to add people to your shit list yet refuse to create a friends list. Found some good players? Friend them. Need to find a group? Ask your friends list. Nobody on your friends list available? PUG and do the same thing until you can reliably get a group full of people you know and trust.

Letting players police themselves (Adding those stupid rating systems) is the same as letting the inmates run the asylum.

LFG tools, dungeon finder and cross realming don't ruin "community" or "immersion". Nerds who think they're better than they actually are and refuse to PUG or add people to their friends list because they have a superiority complex ruin community.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
Achievement is ok. Depends if you want to change people's behavior, or simply replace our brain-limited social sense with a computerized augmented version.

Otherwise, you can also use big social data and recommendations algorithms.

If you don't have a setting for someone, then it's current +/- % is simple: it's the average of values that this player got (20% of score), plus the average of values that your friends or thumbed-up people have set (half score for simple thumbs up, full score for friends, quarter score for guild mates).

Whenever you see a group in LFG tool, the score of the group is the leader's score, +average of raid/group members. When you talk to someone, or you get prompted, you also see the score of the person (a simple smiley system to determine score range, value gets displayed on mouseover) so you get an idea of who is looking to group.

You can score anyone you've interacted with recently, even if they left the group/raid 5mn ago to go back to their server.

(and yes, that means you can neg realm hoppers if hate those people)

Voilà. A simple reputation system. A complete stranger will be tentatively noted, someone who interacted with your social group in the past will get a more accurate score. The more you interact (and score) people, the more accurate a view of unknown people you get.

Easiest solution to prevent abuse is limit the number of votes each account can do weekly. Rarity makes things meaningful in mmos.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Khane Khane

I thought about what you said about the enemy force requirement and I agree. Removing it would be awesome to see how creative you could be at skipping the most stuff possible. Rather than a DPS check along the way. But at the same time I see why they didn't go that route. You'd have to have incredibly tight timers if they developed knowing you would skip shit all the time.

Like using invis to skip the last 4 packs in DHT, for example. Or just mass CCing passed entire packs with group stacking. You'd run into the wall. For the timer to be hard for dumbasses it'd would still have to be forgiving like it is now. While smarter groups would find it trivial as they cut each dungeon time down to like 15 minutes, where applicable, just skipping shit.

But I would like to reduce the amount of enemies needed so you can kinda be creative.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I guess you could argue the creativity is in killing the least amount of stuff possible to meet the requirement?

Yeah, I know, not all that great of an argument.

Also didn't notice the Pally hotfix note from 1 NOV that Sephuz' Secret ring of AIDS triggers on the silence effect from Avenger's Shield. Makes it more like chemo-treatable cancer instead of full blown HIV for Prot pallies.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Spider is much more about mechanics. A solid group gets it in about 30 tries (good for you if you did it in less, want a handy?) when it just becomes doing the lil dance by the numbers.

Ursoc requires like... healers blasting the boss on pull and *every* dps being strongly and confidently at 300k single target or higher (aka NOT: oh this one time I hit 301k!).

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
yea we had about 15 wipes on Ursoc before deciding we just didn't have the dps 5% and 9% wipe, two of our dps were trials and one of our top dps players were not online that evening so im pretty hopefully we can down him next week. if i remember correctly your raid needs a bare minimum of 3.7 million dps the entire fight to kill it exactly on enrage timer, if you drop below 3.7 you hit enrage and instant wipe to the first roar.

spiderbird (13 wipes) is all mechanics people wont stop killing the damn spiders on the bridge and then a hurricane hits it, and we get green swirls all over the raid. or after we get on 2nd platform people are killing spiders near where tornados are going to be dropped and there is no where safe to move her during second spider jump. its little shit that people need to clean up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Having trouble finding definitive information on druid travel form since they just changed it. Let's say I have +100% ground and +280% flight speeds, travel form will use those speeds as well where applicable? But it *still* does not get bonuses to mount speed that actual mounts get?

And what are those bonuses? Guild perks and legion pathfinder? Am I missing anything else that increases mount speed?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Having trouble finding definitive information on druid travel form since they just changed it. Let's say I have +100% ground and +280% flight speeds, travel form will use those speeds as well where applicable? But it *still* does not get bonuses to mount speed that actual mounts get?

And what are those bonuses? Guild perks and legion pathfinder? Am I missing anything else that increases mount speed?

I am pretty certain you get mount speed bonus like pathfinder if you're in travelform.

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am pretty certain you get mount speed bonus like pathfinder if you're in travelform.

You dont get any speed bonus in travel form :( Also, if you're in combat when you go into travel form you dont get the full 100%.

xzi

Mouthbreather
"Ahn'Qiraj rememberance day"

"To celebrate AQ we're going to take servers down once a year" kek oh Ion you jokester