World of Warcraft: Current Year

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I give anyone at least one fuckup before vote kicking. Unless they get around name conflicts by using non-standard symbols like accents and umlats.

Druids for tankiness and some decent utility(brez and stampeding roar), blood dk for great self heals and very good utility(brez and grip) but you have to be really on top of your short cooldowns. Any tank technically can push M+, but probably everything outside of monk, DK, and DH are more forgiving of mistakes.

Note, I went this route with my first alt and picked Druid. I ran into the unforeseen consequence of picking an alt that has two roles that are great for M+(guardian and resto) and 2 that sucks balls(feral and balance) for M+. A class that is dps + tank or heals is much more versatile in filling out a group than one that is tank + heals. I really hated being forced to dps with a substandard spec, so I've pretty much dropped the class.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless you are pushing over M+10 then Boomkins are certainly fine. Feral is as well and actually gets better the higher you go but fuck off playing the tab target dot game.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I can't bring myself to do LFR for the extra chance at legendaries.. I desperately need that holy paladin ring but I know that shit isn't gonna drop lol

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How many people do you think that affects compared whatever the fuck they're doing to secondary stats on the ptr currently?

I'm not saying it affects many people. I'm saying "Hey, this is a thing now".

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Unless you are pushing over M+10 then Boomkins are certainly fine. Feral is as well and actually gets better the higher you go but fuck off playing the tab target dot game.
My misgiving with both specs is that a large chunk of their AE dps is dots, as you mention with tab-targeting. They don't bring that much utility either.

I don't understand how they are better in lower difficulties when shit gets blown up before either spec can ramp up. Explain?

Khane Khane Right, I was more taking a shot at their twitter for ignoring far more important questions. Not a dig at you for posting it.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My misgiving with both specs is that a large chunk of their AE dps is dots, as you mention with tab-targeting. They don't bring that much utility either.

I don't understand how they are better in lower difficulties when shit gets blown up before either spec can ramp up. Explain?

Khane Khane Right, I was more taking a shot at their twitter for ignoring far more important questions. Not a dig at you for posting it.
In the lower difficulties each person needs to contribute less in order to finish on time. Therefore their smaller contribution is less detrimental.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
OK, I can agree with that perspective. Just feels bad as a dps to see the other two big dick dps blowing shit up while you're clawing at 2/3rd their DPS at best. And if you're pugging, that will affect your ability to receiving invites on even trivial M+ difficulties.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Just started dicking around on my shaman as elemental (first 110 at Legion launch week 1 so has like AK 17 or so). I'm bad but getting a bit better. What are you looking for?

....everything? I never played elemental but I need a DPS spec and I heard they won't suck as much in the patch.

I just don't want to be another enhancement spurg. And I liked ranged DPS.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
It's pretty simple. Keep up flame shock (on up to 3 targets if they'll live for a bit), lava burst on cooldown and procs, Lightning bolt on 1 target, Chain lightning 1-3 targets, CL + keep earthquake up on 4+ targets, and earth shock when you're around 90 maelstrom. It hurts if you have to move and their single target is total ass atm. Apparently improved in the patch, which is why I'm a bit more interested in mine now (approach 3rd gold trait from zero points in weap after only ~4 hours of play).

The talents have some choice I think, I don't even remember what I have off the top of my head. I usually stick with low management viable options for alts.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
It's pretty simple. Keep up flame shock (on up to 3 targets if they'll live for a bit), lava burst on cooldown and procs, Lightning bolt on 1 target, Chain lightning 1-3 targets, CL + keep earthquake up on 4+ targets, and earth shock when you're around 90 maelstrom. It hurts if you have to move and their single target is total ass atm. Apparently improved in the patch, which is why I'm a bit more interested in mine now (approach 3rd gold trait from zero points in weap after only ~4 hours of play).

The talents have some choice I think, I don't even remember what I have off the top of my head. I usually stick with low management viable options for alts.

Awesome, Any good guides or sites to take a look? Icyveins seems like trash for restoration shamans not sure about elemental.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Icy Veins and discord channels are the go-to unless a class has a specific site (like Windwalker Monk has one that is awesome, but those seem pretty rare).

Also nice to see they're addressing how alt-unfriendly artifact knowledge is. They are adding both the ability to buy an Artifact Knowledge level up to 15 for 500 order resources per level AND a bind-on-account item for 1000 order resources that will put an alt up to a level dependent on your main. Example given, if you have AK level 15-19, you can spend 1000 OR and instantly put an alt at AK 10. Pretty good catch up.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The icy veins one was written by a guy that doesn't even play the class and had an obvious disdain for the elemental spec from a raiding perspective. Take any information in that guide with some suspicion.

I have had some conflicting results simming elemental dps at different target levels. CL-EQ spam at 2+ targets, for this current patch, is equal or marginally better than FS and LB. Also, tab-targeting FS seems to be always a dps loss. That one's curious to me because tabbing dots is a no brainer. Maybe spending lots of extra maelstrom on FS is no good.

And I especially disagree with limiting EQ to 4+ targets, that makes no sense at all. Assuming the target will live through most of the EQ, which is much more of a possibility next patch, EQ does more damage per maelstrom at 2+ targets compared to ES.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Quite a few tanks out there in this thread. Question for you in relation to playing alts.

When you play an alt, do you get mad that peeps don't know the way through a dungeon? Despite not playing a tank, I'm aware of at least most of the optimal ways through the M+ dungeons, and playing any alt that isn't the tank, and watching them herp/derp their way through it is really terrible.

Also, opinions on best M+ tank? Druids if pushing 12+ , any tank if below that? doesn't matter?
I don't get mad at anyone trying, everyone starts somewhere. You've been to my raids man, I try to let everyone join and have fun.

I wish I were a druid for M+

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Icy Veins is terrible and should never be used as a guide for any class at all.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The hunter guide is well done and constantly updated with relevant information.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
prot paladin one is pretty well done and constantly updated as well, a lot of very useful information

also for high level m+ druid is the best you're gonna get. The rest kind of depend on affixes though imo. Most tanks are tied when it comes to healing if they're played properly

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DH might be the best for necrotic. The mass pull plus ability to kite effectively puts them near the top.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
prot paladin one is pretty well done and constantly updated as well, a lot of very useful information

also for high level m+ druid is the best you're gonna get. The rest kind of depend on affixes though imo. Most tanks are tied when it comes to healing if they're played properly
That's what I kind of figured. The question was asked because I want to play a tank, but want to have utility as well that makes groups run smoother. Druids seem to be the way to go for a number of reasons, even if the DPS off-specs aren't nearly as useful.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Not as useful at the moment, yeah. They'll probably get their time.

Druid and paladin have a ton of group utility though that's for sure. I dislike healing monks in almost every situation but I've yet to play with a really great one. Paladin are very CD dependent and can either by a complete wall and not take damage or just die because they used shield twice. Warriors are a bit rage starved in lower level m+ but pull ahead pretty well at higher difficulties. DH/DK are great for self sustain so you can focus on the group a bit more depending on what you're doing, but they both seem pretty easy to fuck up and just drop pretty quickly.