World of Warcraft: Current Year

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
lol "the sky is falling!" log over to the PTR and test it, i vastly prefer devastator over spamming one button to fill GCDs, i hate filler abilities that hit like wet noodles, devastate isn't doing anything but fishing for procs. It's the worst part about prot and what your doing a majority of the time (on live) its boring as shit to hit one button repeatedly until another button lights up. If you want to do the best prot war DPS then devastator is going to be mandatory, but if you still want to spam just dont take the talent, take indomitable and have more HP and IPs.

The prot warrior playstyle really didn't change without devastator

biggest change - you use Revenge when you would have focused rage
- Revenge is on the GCD FR wasn't, so you sub it in for a devastate if it procs (it procs a lot) or you can weave it like you do FR/IP now
- Revenge has the same chance to proc a SS as devastate
- Revenge hits like a truck, harder than a 2 FR shield slam on live (last tested Dec 6th, they are still adjusting numbers)

minor change - You use thunderclap when you would have used revenge
- thunderclap hits harder
- thunderclap isn't limited to a cone in front of you
- thunderclap has a chance to reset SS procs just like devastate so it makes it better than the spot revenge is at the moment

net changes
- shield block you cant easy mode haste it into permanently being on anymore
- no matter if you take devastator or not you're getting more shield slams over a 5 minute fight
- on tanking and regular target dummies i was generating more rage over 5 minutes than i do on live
- you're doing a fuckton more damage (as of Dec 6th patch)
- You're making active decisions on when to use revenge instead of pressing a button off the GCD, turns the spec into a choice instead of a no-brainer

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If that's all the change meant for us I'd have no issue with it. Taking Devastate off the talent bar for Devastator instead makes us less Warrior and more Havoc DH with Demon's Blades, and just no. Fuck that. Strangest way to play ever.

If Devastator wasn't up against Indomitable, I think I would definitely take it. I was playing my warrior again last night to finish up Good Suramaritan and I had a realization: rotations that are GCD-locked with filler abilities fucking blow. As in, if you have absolutely nothing else to press, press this free ability instead. It's mindless and boring and especially bad on prot warriors because devastate is that filler ability and constitutes 2/3 of your GCDs(glad they are promoting more tclap and revenge in single target). But even worse, it promotes a sort of frantic button mashing that can lead to mistakes.

As I've been playing my Enhance shaman, I keep thinking "why don't I just play my fury warrior instead?" because the are somewhat similar in the sense fast-paced DWing. I had to remind myself from playing last night that abilities like furious slash are stupid. I found myself making mistakes that I couldn't blame on being rusty. Fury warrior has other problems that enhance doesn't(Execute, Juggernaut, poor utility, little self healing) but just the feel of the enh rotation is superior to fury despite being close in nature.

Sumdain x Sumdain x how did they limit shield block uptime? The only thing that changed is a slight bump in its rage cost.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Haven't had time to PTR much yet, but sounds like I'd better get 'er done. I know that I really dislike the Demon's Blades sit-on-your-GCD play style, having tried to adapt to it a few times on my DH. To each their own.

Gotta say, though, that I enjoy no-brainers when I'm playing WoW. I have enough shit to do. At least some mindless fun is good.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Haven't had time to PTR much yet, but sounds like I'd better get 'er done. I know that I really dislike the Demon's Blades sit-on-your-GCD play style, having tried to adapt to it a few times on my DH. To each their own.

Gotta say, though, that I enjoy no-brainers when I'm playing WoW. I have enough shit to do. At least some mindless fun is good.

its a little different since demonblades is the classes (only?) resource builder that funds all of your other abilities where as with devastator while it does build rage it isn't your only option for snap rage building you are still juggling revenge/tclap/ss/ip/other cooldowns.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Of course, if you like filler abilities, good. Warrior seems to be the class for it.

To be fair, I'm not sure I would classify it as "sit on your GCD". That makes it sound kinda boring. Not being GCD-locked is only part of the picture. You also have to have other things to make decisions about since you're no longer frantically filling every GCD. I honestly don't know the DH rotation well enough. I've only played them to Dalaran and DPSing with the Demon Blades talent did seem a bit boring.

For comparison, let's take two dps specs I know decently well. Fury warrior has to watch 3-4 cooldowns(though the minimum 3 line up half the time), 1 proc(wrecking ball if taken) and 1 buff in a minor way(enrage doesn't change your rotation very much). Technically, you have to watch your rage for Rampage, but that's such a minor dps increase. If you can hit Rampage, you will. All this changes when you reach 20%, which is actually one of the really annoying things about fury. Execute gets inserted into your rotation at a variable priority depending on your artifact talents and now you have an extra buff or two to watch.

Enhance shaman has 2-3 buffs to watch, a couple maelstrom breakpoints, 2 cooldowns, and 1 proc. They are similar except the enhance rewards you for pooling resources and not doing anything in a couple ways. Don't use lava lash unless above ~100. Don't hit boulderfist if you have its buff and are near cap. I make less rotational mistakes on my shaman than on my fury warrior despite playing my warrior for much longer.

I would agree with sumdain that the newer rotation fits devastator much better. The live prot rotation would be awful with that talent. I wish they were fixing some of the other problems with prot warriors like establishing AE aggro on pull. The class overall still needs a lot of work.

Sumdain x Sumdain x ptr websites still say 13s for shield block.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I feel like this is actually the proper answer.

Khane Khane - You're not pissing me off, you're making me think you might be borderline autistic though. Remember that time you told me bear tanks couldn't get over like 120k dps or something, shit was hilarious.

Uhh what? Definitely never said that.

Our avatars are very fitting at this point.

Last edited:

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
yea that was a rough estimate i have 100% uptime on live with 31% haste (i drop down to like 45% mastery) on PTR if i swap to 31% haste i cant keep it up indefinitely. however, i am seeing quite a few more SS procs which tends to lengthen it a bit more. i'd say without having actually ran the numbers that its "effectively" 100% at that haste level since you aren't going to be tanking many fights start to finish without tank swaps etc.

Also blizzard made the remark that our secondary stats are pretty much where they are going to be the rest of the expansion, right now i choose between 31% haste 45% mastery or 27% haste 54% mastery and that is probably not going to go up in night hold but my str/sta will. they said that some classes require a high secondary stat to be effective and sometimes that level of secondary stat wouldn't show up until the last raid of the expansion.

long story short if you have a ring with 1700 haste on it, rings 2 raids from now may have 1800 haste on them but a ton more stamina.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Guild announcing "no more mythics but we'll continue to run heroic raids and m+" and then doing no such thing (all officers bailed) ticked me off too much to care about making the effort to find some crappy replacement guild to keep things going until I can win the legendary lottery.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
You are right. The quests are under a Artifact tab. This means I dont have the nighthold quest line or whatever the fuck that thing is that rolls over every week.
Did you finish Good Suramaritan? It should just pop up from the First Arcanist in Shal'aran once you're exalted and have Good Suramaritan done.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Guild announcing "no more mythics but we'll continue to run heroic raids and m+" and then doing no such thing (all officers bailed) ticked me off too much to care about making the effort to find some crappy replacement guild to keep things going until I can win the legendary lottery.
You can always raid with us. We aren't mythic but at least we try hard

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Did you finish Good Suramaritan? It should just pop up from the First Arcanist in Shal'aran once you're exalted and have Good Suramaritan done.

No, pretty sure I did not. I have to finish Ley Lines and dont feel like farming 2k mana.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Kreugen i think we are are recruiting just downed Mythic Cenarius last night 2 night a week raiding guild. i can find out for you if you're interested

kraken#1677 is my battlenet tag.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Fyff Fyff .... you serious man?

Pull quotes from the first three weeks of the expansion when people are 845 ilvl before the Galactic Guardian buff (300% more damage when you moonfire is huge) and before anyone had any dps legendaries when you're complaining your DPS can't even pull 150k and then ignore the post I made about Incarnation a few posts later.

Context.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff

BM Hunter

i hear there is a guild on hyjal that raids weekly and is only kind of bad

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Fyff Fyff .... you serious man?

Pull quotes from the first three weeks of the expansion when people are 845 ilvl before the Galactic Guardian buff (300% more damage when you moonfire is huge) and before anyone had any dps legendaries when you're complaining your DPS can't even pull 150k and then ignore the post I made about Incarnation a few posts later.

Context.
Agree. I mean you were wrong before we got a dmg buff, and when everyone was like 30-40ilvls lower with 1 legendary!