World of Warcraft: Current Year

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Noodle WoW was my favorite game from 2004-2006 when I raided with one of the top guilds in the world. Things like having Tigole actually watch your guild attempt vanilla Nefarian, admit you were doing it close perfect and it was impossible then soon nerfed was great. Snatching world 5th was better. Standing in the middle of Iron forge on Cenarius server in the middle of a giant circle of players inspecting me and telling me how jealous they were made me feel like a video game god. Now everyone has basically the same gear just colored differently.

I was doing fuck all with my life in 2004 and coming from Afterlife in EQ allowed me to poop sock myself to the top. Im not one of those guys who say vanilla was harder because it wasnt but doesnt matter. Felt good to be a king for 2 years.

Im also tired of the community argument. This game has shit community compared to then. I was on a high pop server at the time and everyone still knew each other and could name someone from afar just by the gear the had before seeing their name.

Who on Cenarius? I played in Pirate from TBC to WotLK. Guild officially died in WoD I think.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Odd they would all transfer to Hyjal. I guess to stroke their epeen?

Not the same guild

We were that 1 percent who even got the see Naxx 40 man and that pre nerf dance used to make most guilds who did see it quit. Raiders weren't ready back then. 895,000 level 60's on us servers and only 23 guilds cleared Vanilla Naxx. Less than 0.1% players killed Kel'thuzad, a number that has never been achieved with any other dungeon in the history of WOW. Being at the top back then was different than today

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's always a stupid argument, defending achievements from vanilla, when the fights themselves weren't a challenge, it was all logistics. Congratulations on being able to attune and gather 40 fucks to run at the most basic of mechanics the game hasn't seen since vanilla.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Heigan was one of my favorite fights in the zone, but its been so long, I dont remember what the nerf was. I remember seeing the fight on the first night the zone was released, but I think we moved over to spider because the other top tier guilds went Deathknight wing first.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's always a stupid argument, defending achievements from vanilla, when the fights themselves weren't a challenge, it was all logistics. Congratulations on being able to attune and gather 40 fucks to run at the most basic of mechanics the game hasn't seen since vanilla.

A lot of the time requirements outside of raiding were logistics, that they have cut heavily back on through the years, but there was a different kind of challenge (than just mechanics) in vanilla, to a point that vanilla and modern raiding are hardly comparable. A couple of the things I can think of off hand are:

When the final two boss fights of the zone weren't broke, they were tuned to require the raid be in "x" percent of gear from the previous bosses in the zone.
They put in cock blocks like resist fights, that required patterns and drops from the current tier.
Threat and mana management were a mini game all in itself.
You had to get 40 people to do those simple mechanics on much poorer connections than we have now and if you had less than 15 carries, you were doing good.

For officers, managing ~50 raiders for a 40 man raid just made everything that much more difficult.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
A lot of the time requirements outside of raiding were logistics, that they have cut heavily back on through the years, but there was a different kind of challenge (than just mechanics) in vanilla, to a point that vanilla and modern raiding are hardly comparable. A couple of the things I can think of off hand are:

When the final two boss fights of the zone weren't broke, they were tuned to require the raid be in "x" percent of gear from the previous bosses in the zone.
They put in cock blocks like resist fights, that required patterns and drops from the current tier.
Threat and mana management were a mini game all in itself.
You had to get 40 people to do those simple mechanics on much poorer connections than we have now and if you had less than 15 carries, you were doing good.

For officers, managing ~50 raiders for a 40 man raid just made everything that much more difficult.
Everything you just listed was still logistics. Having a decent gear level or resist isn't a direct challenge, it's a time sink requirement. And even still, the majority of those fights were pure single positioning fights. Group A stands here, group B stands here, spam your two abilities ad nauseum. Maybe have a tank swap, or group a switches positions with group B. But those were standardized. During Maiden in TOS, certain fucks have to switch sides, and also not stand in spirals, and also stand in meteor style hammers, and avoid cross contamination, and... The comparison is laughable. Gear checks, resists checks, and player quantity checks, I'm so glad are more or less set aside (save the 20 person lock on Mythic raiding).

• 1Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you threw most of the high end raiders from Vanilla/BC at even H NH/ToS, without exposing them to the changes in WoW over the years, they'd very quickly go mad and quit.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Acid fly enjoying his time in Wow where taunt doesnt miss like it did with 8 warrior tanks trying to do the 4 horsemen and 1 taunt missing was instant wipe

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i mean, also understand player abilities have drastically changed as well. pally healers had 2 heals. but then we also had to spam blessings on 40 people every 5 minutes. and make sure judgment was up on the boss every 15 seconds or however short it lasted. oh and also decurse. and remember dps had to wait nearly 30 seconds before engaging the boss so the tank could have enough threat on him.

the mechanics were "simpler" but because there was less going on mechanically, a lot of those mechanics were more punishing.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
where taunt doesnt miss like it did with 8 warrior tanks trying to do the 4 horsemen and 1 taunt missing was instant wipe

I do -not- miss that shit. At all. Ever.

the mechanics were "simpler" but because there was less going on mechanically, a lot of those mechanics were more punishing.

I don't really think that's a reasonable argument. There are a great number of fights, even in ToS, where a single missed cue is a wipe.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm sorry but you guys talking about the challenges in vanilla don't know what is actually challenging. Buffing 40 people every 15 minutes isn't a challenge - that's a shitty design choice. Taunt missing isn't a challenge, that's stupid fucking design.

Naxx40 was hard shit - I was there, I know. My neighbor was in one of the guilds from Zuljin that actually even killed KT.

None of what you guys are listing is hard. The heigen dance isn't hard, it's a retard check. Nefarian isn't hard, it was a gear check.

The encounters these days are way more complex. Even finding 20 people capable of mythic is the hardest part of running a guild for me.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I do -not- miss that shit. At all. Ever.

I don't really think that's a reasonable argument. There are a great number of fights, even in ToS, where a single missed cue is a wipe.

well, i'm thinking of the whatever fight in naxx where if you didn't cleanse the poison ASAP, the person died. and like, 15 people at a time would get poisoned. it wasn't COMPLEX. you just spammed cleanse. today's fights CLEARLY have a ton more going on, so it's easier to miss a cue. there's 300 spell effects going on so it's easier to stand in the fire just because it all gets lost in the noise.

the point i was making isn't that it was HARDER, it was different.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only people deserving of any praise for killing vanilla bosses are the guild leaders and recruitment officers.

There's a thread where you can talk about the glorious poop socking days of farming resists and pretending you had any semblance of skill at video games because your taunt didn't get resisted or you were really good at mashing decursive.

• 1Like