World of Warcraft: Current Year

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Most of the EQ heroes on this forum were probably never very good at video games. You can usually tell who those people are by how much they despise WoW. Game is too hard for them.
I had a running theory that EQ players make the worst wow players, all the way back in WOD i decided that

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

I wasn’t ever part of the mythic portion of the guild (days didn’t line up, and I didn’t play much of Legion) but I find it surprising there were a bunch of underperformers. I guess I’d just assumed if someone has been posting on this MMO hobbyist forum for 10+ years they’d hopefully not suck at MMOs.

Under-performing and sucking are a bit different, I would say. If the person is just terrible at the game and fails at basic tasks, I would imagine, get the boot from mythic rather fast. Under-performance that is difficult to deal with, is more like dealing with someone that can do at least an above average job in heroic, most of the time, but lower than where they should be for mythic.

I haven't raided bleeding edge since early BC, but during that time, for me, it took upwards of 40 hours a week on the same class, and staying current on the EJ class forum to feel like I was not one of the carries that stood in voidzones. Now, it might not take that amount of time to get back to that level, but it would still take more than I am willing to do.

Burns

I had a running theory that EQ players make the worst wow players, all the way back in WOD i decided that

Psh, the group I came over to WoW with, from EQ, were almost all, at least, above average, one even went on to become a founding member in Premonition (such a terrible name)!

Last edited:

Korillo

Molten Core Raider

Rude! Some eq players have killed mythic Argus!! Even if they did perhaps get carried.

I still mostly suck but I'm getting better.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It's alright, guise, I'll hold down the fort.

View attachment 164655

If you and Midori are there when BfA starts up, you'll see a lot of people back again for a few months. If the xpac isn't shit you'll probably have enough to plow N/H when raiding starts up again. Or at least that has been what I've seen happen in every guild since the game started. End of xpac is definitely the shitty part of the cycle. Didn't we end up taking a month or maybe more off at the end of WOD too?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Virtually no one was on when I started at the end of WoD. People started to trickle in when the news of the super fast leveling via invasions came around.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

I'm just bad at games in general these days. You have to farm this shit daily for 18 months just to be barely useful? Fuuuuuck that. Legion made that suck a little less with multiple zones getting added/finished as xpac went on, but grinds are not my thing anymore. You can only 100% so many games before the joy of it starts to pale compared to other things you could be doing. I barely managed that in vanilla WOW until AQ. Grinding for NR gear was shit. Grinding rep to get the recipes to make the gear was AIDS. The grinds have varied between tolerable and fuck this shit since then.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

I think that's fair and valid. I definitely mostly sucked at WoW because by the time I'd finally reach end game, it was long after it had been out and everyone had the strats down pat, while I was still fumbling and learning them. I didn't even realize that until I finally played a Souls Game. WoW's content was way more interactive than EQ which was really just an old school final fantasy game played out in real time. It was still dice rolls against dice rolls. Where WoW is way more action orientated and you have to move to certain points and do certain things, and that was my problem. All the way through MoP, I was trying to play it like EQ, and was pissed that it didn't play like EQ. Now, that I understand what I was missing, I see I was wrong, but I'm a slow learner though when it comes to mastering strategies, so I'd still be aggravating for folks trying to truly advance so I just stay away at this point.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe that was true in vanilla, but i think the best guilds right now were born in wow (method, exorsus, limit, etc)
That's because no one who cares about real raiding has played EQ in ages. That game is fucking awful now.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Last edited:

Jox

Molten Core Raider
WoW raids were almost entirely just target dummies until wotlk and even then it was still baby steps for needing people to do stuff.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Theres a huge step from Heroic > Mythic. Heroic you can clear while making mistakes, standing in the wrong thing here or there, and playing sub-optimally in regards to gear/spec choices. Mythic you make the tiniest mistake or dont put out the absolutely best dps you can muster its a wipe for everyone. Even "good" players make mistakes and have shit happen, but unless you are that top 5% of all WoW players Mythic Progression isnt really for you. Its a grind.
Then you have heroic which with titanforge and all manners of crazy gear levels you can outgear and just truck through, which makes guilds like FOH and other hardcore casual guilds (casualcore,hardcasual,try hards...dunno what you call them) sit in a weird spot. Heroic too easy but Mythic too hard. All because Blizzards stupid gear awarding system.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
BWL was not an eq guild you are correct. It's short for Black Wing Lair and it was a raid zone in World of Warcraft.
The world first for taking down deathwing had less than 3 EQ players in it, and wasn't an EQ guild.

But feel free to ignore my point proving you wrong.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
One thing I do wish WoW did was make past tiers more relevant. In EQ you could still raid past expansions to help gear yourself for the current expansion. In WoW, all that is completely obsolete (other than achievements/mounts), even tiers in the same expansion become irrelevant, because you can gear yourself up in shit you get solo in 2 days that's higher ilvl. I get why they do it, but I feel like it's too bad. There's a lot of good content that I'll never get to see (at least in any sort of relevant way).

The titanforging is really shitty too. In EQ, you basically have to raid if you want gear, and the gear is rare and hard to come by (at least some pieces). I've personally seen someone get a 970 tier helm from an LFR raid. The rewards for raiding mythic are too low in my opinion. It is not surprising to see guilds uninteresting in trying to progress in mythic. It's just not worth their time or effort.

Which is too bad if you ask me. I gave WoW a lot of shit in the past, but their raids are actually really enjoyable. I think if they were a bit more rewarding, or, that is to say, heroic/normal were a bit less rewarding, more people would do the raids and actually find they have fun doing them.