World of Warcraft: Current Year

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Having a nice computer helps a ton even if WoW can run on most machines having a decent one really makes a difference I put together an i5-8600k, 1070gtx back around December upgrading my old 5-6 year old PC and it made a world of difference. I do kind of want a 1080ti but the difference between paying $400 vs $1000 for a video card was hard for me to justify.

That being said I am starting back up a traveling job soon and will be in the market for a new Laptop soon, since I will be playing WoW mostly on the road or in hotels, and while my potato PC can run the shit it's getting to be old. I might have to seek out some recommendations from you guys on that in a couple of months.

Have you guys already updated your UI's for BfA? It took me a while to get things mostly where I liked them in Legion but with all the class changes and shit I might need to get some new weak auras and things.
Just go to Best Buy and buy an MSI gaming laptop. Price tag $1000-2000 , depending on how much juice you want it to have. No reason to really go anything else, and it's simple and easy.

Done and Done. Travel life improved!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Just go to Best Buy and buy an MSI gaming laptop. Price tag $1000-2000 , depending on how much juice you want it to have. No reason to really go anything else, and it's simple and easy.

F Best Buy up their stupid asses. They are an Amazon show room at best. I do like MSI laptops that is what I currently have for gaming so yeah I would probably just get an updated version of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Legion had me actively playing my main pretty much through the whole thing. Normally I run out of content and only bust out my main for raiding while I putter on alts. This go round I did not do any real alt playing until about 4 months ago and still actively doing stuff and progressing on my main character. They did about as good of a job as you could hope for with content to do and work on throughout legion. If they can hit this pacing in BfA I will be very happy.

Yeah, despite the various flaws ( mostly rng related ), I have to give blizz credit for legion - they added a *LOT* of stuff on a pretty aggressive schedule. Only the top like 0.05% got to farm a mythic tier for more than a month.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I am giving up on the mage tower stuff. Will still do my dailies on a few toons to eke out some gear and legos before BFA drops. Mage Tower is pretty much all the shitty parts of raids rolled into one. Dodge mechanics? Check. Keep track of 5 billion adds? Check. Misstep once and die? Check. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

I'm playing on a $700 laptop that plays really smoothly and runs on high settings and loads zones almost instantly. At first I was having ridiculous 100+ second loads and it was driving me fucking crazy but I found some really dumb settings that Blizzard has enabled now (such as streaming) that once turned off, reduced the load times from 40-100 seconds to 1-3 seconds.

If anyone has long load times or load times that seem disproprotinate with your PC specs, try disabling streaming. Click on the Blizzard logo on the Battle net launcher, go to the streaming tab, and click off "Enable Streaming". Also another thing to do if that doesn't speed things up drastically (it usually is enough to fix things) is to add this line to your config.wtf file :

SET worldPreloadNonCritical “0”

Blizzard likes to delete that line from time to time though - just forewarning. I just let it stay deleted though because disabling streaming was enough to drastically improve performance.

I can't for the life of me understand why Blizzard would have a setting that so drastically fucks with load times default to on. I played that way for a fucking week. I'd have to alt tab out of boredom whenever I loaded anywhere, because it just took so damn long. And then you click off a single setting and you go from 100-120 seconds down to 1-3... like what the actual fuck Blizzard?

I am giving up on the mage tower stuff. Will still do my dailies on a few toons to eke out some gear and legos before BFA drops. Mage Tower is pretty much all the shitty parts of raids rolled into one. Dodge mechanics? Check. Keep track of 5 billion adds? Check. Misstep once and die? Check. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Haha yeah I tried it a couple of times as a Vengeance DH and just noped straight out of it. Eventually, after 20-50 tries I'm sure I'd get it, but it's just not worth it to me personally. I prefer my pajama transmog look anyways.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You can cheese it. You use an infernal, put it on defensive, stand next to Karam at the start and let him hit you. He will go onto your pet and never leave. Then when he casts purgatory you mortal coil him DURING the cast (you'll get the hang of timing after a few tries). At this point you burn Raest because Karam will stay on your pet and you get 2 full phases to damage Raest.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
So questing Argus right now and again I am amazed at how good the game is right now. The music, the cinematics, the quests, the characters. They all feel real for the first time in a really long time, maybe more real than ever to be totally honest. I actually feel like I am with these characters on the Vindicar. I'm such a nerd, I know, but damn. If they keep this up WoW actually has its best years in front of it, not behind it, and that's 15 years into the game... that's... fucking... insane. Like I go back to play EQ from time to time, and even play a little modern EQ, but I never expect it to be a better game.. I always go into it knowing I'm playing something way past its sell by date and playing something stale (not the traditional type of stale we use to define games, but like... food stale, does that make sense?)

It's like all the food in the house is gone, but you're really hungry and you found some stale cookies in the back of the cupboard. You know they aren't going to taste good, but it's all you have, so you eat them. That's how most other older MMO's feel. But with WoW I feel like I am starving, I open the cupboard and dig around to the back and to my surprise there is an untouched, unopened box of girl scout cookies that are 100% fresh. I am playing an improved, better game than last I played. I can't get over how mind blowing that is. The game is FIFTEEN YEARS OLD!!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
You can get a Dell Alienware, 17", 8th gen i7 6core 4.6ghz with a 1070OC, 16gb ram, 256ssd w 1tb drive for $1100 right now. People love to hate Dell, but that machine will do the trick.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So questing Argus right now and again I am amazed at how good the game is right now. The music, the cinematics, the quests, the characters. They all feel real for the first time in a really long time, maybe more real than ever to be totally honest. I actually feel like I am with these characters on the Vindicar. I'm such a nerd, I know, but damn. If they keep this up WoW actually has its best years in front of it, not behind it, and that's 15 years into the game... that's... fucking... insane. Like I go back to play EQ from time to time, and even play a little modern EQ, but I never expect it to be a better game.. I always go into it knowing I'm playing something way past its sell by date and playing something stale (not the traditional type of stale we use to define games, but like... food stale, does that make sense?) But with WoW I feel like I am playing an improved, better game than last I played. I can't get over how mind blowing that is. The game is FIFTEEN YEARS OLD!!
I felt the same way with the storyline while questing in WOD and they fucking squandered it... Legion was half that good a storyline, but at least it had a solid conclusion at the end.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
You can cheese it. You use an infernal, put it on defensive, stand next to Karam at the start and let him hit you. He will go onto your pet and never leave. Then when he casts purgatory you mortal coil him DURING the cast (you'll get the hang of timing after a few tries). At this point you burn Raest because Karam will stay on your pet and you get 2 full phases to damage Raest.

You deathcoil right when raest starts speaking as karam goes in to purgatory. All you really have to worry about is putting your pet on the rune of summoning so you don't get the karam like demon add chasing you and killing one hand of doom, banishing a second. At 905 ilevel when I did it karam came out of purg when raest was at like six percent. I had switched to a doomguard when karam first went in to purgatory so I just crippled karam for that last few percentage.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
So after 4.5 years off I caved and did a 1mo sub just to peek at things (I quit just before Siege of Orgrimmar patched in; it was on the PTR). I gotta say, I might have turned up my nose at the lore behind how WoD started (lolGarroshescapes), but I did like how they did the introductory questline for it, at least on Horde. And as usual, Demonology sucks balls compared to Destruction and especially Affliction. :p I like the direction they took it, but they really need to take a hard look at the Soul Shard portion of Hand of Gul'dan and lower the damage timer on Doom (so it happens faster).

At least I passed the test to get felfire, but I really regret not finishing that legendary cloak on Pandaria after having come that far. Oh well.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So I have all classes at 110.
Warlock is 965 or something, with a decent amount of legendaries to pick from.

All the others are 900-920, more at 900. Mainly bad legendaries if any.

I have done exactly one Mage Tower skin and that's affliction scythe because it looks badass.
I like the rogue swashbuckler sword things and manbearpig. Prot warrior and prot paladin look nice too. I think I'll start looking into some of these.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So what is the most effective way to gear up a bit just so I can do mage towers? Only have a few classes I want to knock them out on.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
So what is the most effective way to gear up a bit just so I can do mage towers? Only have a few classes I want to knock them out on.
Do the Argus quest lines and invasions plus world bosses. Lfr as well. The hardest thing to get is relics honestly. 915 to 920 is all you really need to get too for most of the challenges.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can't totally lock down what I want to play in Legion. Been gearing out all my alts and every now and then I say to myself "this one feels right" but then I play another toon and say the same thing.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I gave up on it also. I was getting severely frustrated with the one shot kill/fail mechanics especially the tanking one. I completed a few of them and I'm done.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Having a nice computer helps a ton even if WoW can run on most machines having a decent one really makes a difference I put together an i5-8600k, 1070gtx back around December upgrading my old 5-6 year old PC and it made a world of difference. I do kind of want a 1080ti but the difference between paying $400 vs $1000 for a video card was hard for me to justify.

That being said I am starting back up a traveling job soon and will be in the market for a new Laptop soon, since I will be playing WoW mostly on the road or in hotels, and while my potato PC can run the shit it's getting to be old. I might have to seek out some recommendations from you guys on that in a couple of months.

Have you guys already updated your UI's for BfA? It took me a while to get things mostly where I liked them in Legion but with all the class changes and shit I might need to get some new weak auras and things.

Got this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DT49XN8?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title back in 2016 after legion launch to play while deployed. Ran the game great.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I get to the final phase in the MW tower every time but I'm either too low to and he flamecrashes me or too high and I nuke my group.

Really aggravating challenge.

I was bored and went in and one shot feral (having never played it) and boomkin...this concordance level is a joke.

I also ran a 16 DHT yesterday and averaged 1.6mill dps as a tank...feels good man.