World of Warcraft: Current Year

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
In the real old school AV you had all the noobies wanting to go fight Captain Whatshisnuts in the field of strife to get a level 50ish polearm which was one of the best weapons at the time. This is prior to them handing out welfare epics on the 1st and 15th to the wakandans creating wakanda culture throughout wow.

Remember having to fucking CHOOSE between The Unstoppable Force or The Immovable Object? You sure as fuck were never going to be able to afford both unless you lived on the game.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Classic wow sounds amazing on the paper. Then you realize how fucking easy all those raid zones are after you've been fucked in the ass for years by mythic mechanics.

People used to take months to level in wow classic, i'd wager the first level 60 on this classic iteration will happen day 2 of release.

People will get bored a week or two in and servers will be ghost towns.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Classic wow sounds amazing on the paper. Then you realize how fucking easy all those raid zones are after you've been fucked in the ass for years by mythic mechanics.

People used to take months to level in wow classic, i'd wager the first level 60 on this classic iteration will happen day 2 of release.

People will get bored a week or two in and servers will be ghost towns.

Leveling speed used to be a lot slower not only due to people not knowing the game but the xp gains were a fraction of what they are now. If they put back in the release leveling gain speed its still going to take a while for all but cat asses to hit 60.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
If they end up doing a full TLP style server I would 100% be in for the full duration, until it catches up to the live servers.

I'll still play on a Vanilla only server, but probably only for the first month or 2, and then just casually if at all after that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
HAHAHAHAHAHA AAAHHAHA

Playing on a handful of EverQuest progression servers over the years has taught me that a coordinated group of like minded individuals can lay waste to expectations. I don't have any idea what optimal leveling speed is/was for that era but I fully expect people to hit max level faster than anyone thought could be done. If another fresh WoW Classic server launches or if launches become a semi-regular thing even the speeds of these first few will look sluggish in comparison.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Original WoW speedrun to 60 record was like 4 days, 20 hours. I think most people were between 6-8 days /played.

I can see the devs going either way with it. I'd bet they keep old-school levelling so these neckbeard shitheads can enjoy being stuck in the 40's for a week

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I love a good old fashion EQ leveling grind, but the thought of going back and leveling in vanilla wow makes me want to gouge out my eyeballs.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Has anyone experimented with the BFA follow equipment? The chance to return with X but takes 30 expulsom fuck you stuff. Are the rates decent?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Leveling in Vanilla WoW was longer, but the game was more immersive back then. Every outpost was your new home and you forgot what your race's starting city was for the longest time. You couldn't ride a mount until what? 40? That meant you ran from place to place, which made the game feel huge.

Nowadays, forget it. Everything is whistle-close.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Playing on a handful of EverQuest progression servers over the years has taught me that a coordinated group of like minded individuals can lay waste to expectations. I don't have any idea what optimal leveling speed is/was for that era but I fully expect people to hit max level faster than anyone thought could be done. If another fresh WoW Classic server launches or if launches become a semi-regular thing even the speeds of these first few will look sluggish in comparison.

I agree there is always going to be that small group who plot out their leveling path and work as a team to cheese stuff like dungeons and other content that is giving more xp to level at silly rates far faster than the rest. This happened in vanilla on launch as well. Still though if they go the full vanilla EXP scale it is going to take longer than a lot of people expect to level.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Leveling in Vanilla WoW was longer, but the game was more immersive back then. Every outpost was your new home and you forgot what your race's starting city was for the longest time. You couldn't ride a mount until what? 40? That meant you ran from place to place, which made the game feel huge.

Nowadays, forget it. Everything is whistle-close.

Yup and once you got the ability to use a mount getting the money to pay for it was a challenge. I remember it took me a couple months of scrimping and saving at 60 to finally afford one epic mount.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Original WoW speedrun to 60 record was like 4 days, 20 hours. I think most people were between 6-8 days /played.

I can see the devs going either way with it. I'd bet they keep old-school levelling so these neckbeard shitheads can enjoy being stuck in the 40's for a week

It took me about 12 days played on a pvp server as a mage from day 1, and only because I got banned for 3 days the first weekend for calling someone a wakandan, so I missed a lot of dungeon leveling opportunity with friends who out leveled me and I had to do a lot of shit myself. I completely skipped STV in favor of Feralas to avoid getting ganked. Also 56-60 was pure mob farming, since there weren't any fucking quests after eastern plaguelands. Took to about late March 2005, or around 5 months. In mid 2006 (patch 1.6-1.8), knowing all of the questing areas, it still took about 6 days played, but I was able to level in just under 2 months. I would expect the average player today, if they don't blow their brains out in the attempt, to maybe hit 60 with playing all the fucking time, to happen in about the same time (2 months). Being forced to walk everywhere significantly slows shit down. Knowing not to waste time on crafting until max level so you have money for mounts was a critical lesson we all learned, though to be fair, I managed to scalp a ton of gold from Beastslaying enchants at level 60 that even casters would purchase "because glowy shit", meaning I was one of the first with an epic mount. The original white horse before they added armor to it that I'm still butthurt Blizz won't give me, since I faction/race changed the character before they made mounts "skills" instead of items, and so there wasn't a record of me owning it, thus I'm stuck with an original BC blood elf chicken that it converted to....

Screenshot_20181001-174124_Chrome.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Level tailoring and be one of the first to make Runecloth bags if you want easy mount money.

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If I only took you 6 days played it absolutely won't take someone today 2 months. Dont underestimate poop socks

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I hit 60 around 4 days /played on my first 60. People who have been playing on the private servers and remember a lot about vanilla can probably do it in 2 days. That's what I expect to see. First level 60 around 2 days after launch.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
No doubt there will be level 60's after the first week, possibly running BRS, but it'll be a while before they're fielding healers who aren't below 56 in raids. Remember having vastly lower leveled healers for runs where the only concern was their aggro radius. Druids, shamans, and paladins having to wait and respec at 60 since they couldn't reliably solo heal any content until then. All of this really depends on how many shitters actually end up playing. And how they split up servers, if at all. A solo server would make things happen very, very quickly. Limited servers with no transfers or faction changes would be required.

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Speaking of that old mount achievement, it know it's nothing more than imaginary e-peen points but it still pisses me off to not have that achieve since you could trade in your shit mounts for the new armored ones which damn near everyone did. So you got ass plowed because you didn't know what kind of shit Blizzard was going to add later. Back then you didn't even want pets and mounts for the most part since those fucking things took up precious bag slots, unlike today.

Also as weird as it sounds I enjoyed part of the game way more before achievement system ever saw the light of day. Prior to that shit I could just do what I felt like here and there, once they added the virtual dick measuring contest I felt obligated to compete and collect extra bear asses and other shit I know for a fact I wouldn't of fucked with had they never existed. Shit even now I will get the desire to go do the post Cata zones to finish up Loremaster, is it because I wanna do low level shit quests I couldn't care less about? Fuck no it's not, it's because I am retarded like everyone else and want my 10 extra big boy points.