World of Warcraft: Current Year

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Leveling as mage should always, and has almost always been fastest using fire. Swap to frost if you want to play safe or need to take down a high Hp mob solo. It's the mage tank spec. Play arcane if you want something that's blisteringly simplistic to the point of wanting to blow your brains out, but its burst is high enough to accomplish the same as the other specs.

Speaking of mage, I really fucking miss being able to play hybrid specs. Arcane power+pom+pyro, or pom+flame strike with fire nova followed up with blizzard, or just loosing a frost bolt between frost nova while pummeling with fireballs and fireblasts.

The complexity has been brought back down to the simplicity of spamming a keys like a rogue in vanilla on a boss fight for everything just to make sure something is always casting, and not interesting or unique or fun in anyway. It also hardly changes between encounters, at least in Uldir. Might shift one talent here or there, but otherwise the rotation is just as generic as spamming frostbolt, but more annoying. How the fuck did that happen.

xzi

Mouthbreather
lol complaining about leveling.

It tooks weeks in vanilla and there weren't even enough quests.

I know you're just shitposting just to annoy everyone, but I do see people genuinely say this and say shit like "lol enjoy vanilla servers" like it's even an argument. The massive issue I have with leveling right now isn't that it takes so long (which is annoying), but that you basically gain fucking nothing while leveling. In vanilla you gain several skills/new ranks and a talent point every single level. Current game on my shaman I gained a new skill like every 6, a new talent every 15, and stopped getting skills at 84.

You go almost 40 levels with gaining absolutely nothing and it feels like the biggest waste of time when you could be playing your main because literally the only thing that matters in the game is max level content. Dungeons don't give experience, the dungeon quests aren't interesting in the slightest, there are no unique items in any of them.

Feels bad man.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I know you're just shitposting just to annoy everyone, but I do see people genuinely say this and say shit like "lol enjoy vanilla servers" like it's even an argument. The massive issue I have with leveling right now isn't that it takes so long (which is annoying), but that you basically gain fucking nothing while leveling. In vanilla you gain several skills/new ranks and a talent point every single level. Current game on my shaman I gained a new skill like every 6, a new talent every 15, and stopped getting skills at 84.

You go almost 40 levels with gaining absolutely nothing and it feels like the biggest waste of time when you could be playing your main because literally the only thing that matters in the game is max level content. Dungeons don't give experience, the dungeon quests aren't interesting in the slightest, there are no unique items in any of them.

Feels bad man.
Fucking this. As annoying as it was to have to go back to a city to spend what was actually a lot of gold to train a skill, it's something you could do based on your actions that resulted in a clear benefit to your character. Even though you'd end up down ranking at max level when your gear allowed it to maintain threat/throughput.

Having a ton of trickle up bonuses that have noticeable increases without too many ways to cheese and skip advancing. You couldn't bring a dungeon level character through BWL or AQ reliably, so you had to spend time in MC, even if it wasn't the current raid tier. Which served two purposes, educating new players on raid encounters, and gearing them up. How it works now, once the next raid tier comes out people will give two fucks about Uldir and folks will get Uldir+ ilvl gear from doing fuck all. Or TF/WF procs from LFR that does nothing to train players, just handholds players because "everyone should have access to all content". Now, not everyone has access to Mythic raids, though the extreme level it's gotten to is a bit outrageous. 6-700 attempts just hoping for good rng, sun and moon aligning, even though all of your players are playing perfectly within 40-60 runs is absurd.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How it works now, once the next raid tier comes out people will give two fucks about Uldir and folks will get Uldir+ ilvl gear from doing fuck all.

Can blame Wrath for this, no? Not release Wrath, but whenever they just went to the rotating 2 tier token system.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I know it's the way things are now but seeing that the next tier of raiding content has item level 370 loot at the LFR difficulty doesn't sit right with me. It may be an irrelevant accomplishment but when I finally hit 370 on Monday evening I was pretty happy and now it's going to be retard level.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know it's the way things are now but seeing that the next tier of raiding content has item level 370 loot at the LFR difficulty doesn't sit right with me. It may be an irrelevant accomplishment but when I finally hit 370 on Monday evening I was pretty happy and now it's going to be retard level.
This is standard for years new raid comes out old raid gear is now entry level.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This is standard for years new raid comes out old raid gear is now entry level.

Not quite that extreme but not too far off. I just made this list off the raid guides on wowhead.

EN LFR 835
Normal 850
Heroic 865
Mythic 880

NH LFR 855 / 860 / 865
Normal 870 / 875 / 880
Heroic 885 / 890 / 895
Mythic 900 / 905 / 910

Tomb LFR 885
Normal 900
Heroic 915
Mythic 930

ANT LFR 915
Normal 930
Heroic 945
Mythic 960

I think that are going from 340 to 370 in the 1st to 2nd tier for a jump of 30 and Legion had it go from 835 to 855 so a jump of 20.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
EN and NH were the same tier though. Not sure next raid is considered this tier

Also tov
I didn't do much raiding in Legion so I just took a snapshot from what I remember. Looks like if EN/NH are the tier and then Tomb is that next that is a 30 point jump so identical?

The point is that it isn't super insanely different.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yeah looks like they aren't doing much different but at the same time them going crazy on ilvl like that is why they needed the stat squish twice so far. They are just running it right back up again which is stupid. At the very least why not just increase by 15 for the next tier. Not like it matters that much, which is the issue they have gone so far in the direction that really everything feels pointless.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Fucking this. As annoying as it was to have to go back to a city to spend what was actually a lot of gold to train a skill, it's something you could do based on your actions that resulted in a clear benefit to your character. Even though you'd end up down ranking at max level when your gear allowed it to maintain threat/throughput.

Having a ton of trickle up bonuses that have noticeable increases without too many ways to cheese and skip advancing. You couldn't bring a dungeon level character through BWL or AQ reliably, so you had to spend time in MC, even if it wasn't the current raid tier. Which served two purposes, educating new players on raid encounters, and gearing them up. How it works now, once the next raid tier comes out people will give two fucks about Uldir and folks will get Uldir+ ilvl gear from doing fuck all. Or TF/WF procs from LFR that does nothing to train players, just handholds players because "everyone should have access to all content". Now, not everyone has access to Mythic raids, though the extreme level it's gotten to is a bit outrageous. 6-700 attempts just hoping for good rng, sun and moon aligning, even though all of your players are playing perfectly within 40-60 runs is absurd.
When I was playing vanilla emulated servers even playing them casually was so much more rewarding. You can have a toon 17+ and whenever you got a piece of gear it was so rewarding because it could last you so many levels which was hours if not days of played time.
This new cookie cutter system feels just like a job you need to log into to get your daily quota.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Not quite that extreme but not too far off. I just made this list off the raid guides on wowhead.

EN LFR 835
Normal 850
Heroic 865
Mythic 880

NH LFR 855 / 860 / 865
Normal 870 / 875 / 880
Heroic 885 / 890 / 895
Mythic 900 / 905 / 910

Tomb LFR 885
Normal 900
Heroic 915
Mythic 930

ANT LFR 915
Normal 930
Heroic 945
Mythic 960

I think that are going from 340 to 370 in the 1st to 2nd tier for a jump of 30 and Legion had it go from 835 to 855 so a jump of 20.
20 ilvls in legion felt significant. Having a piece of gear go from 320 to 370 in BfA doesn't. Which I think is what it breaks down to, ultimately. Not that there wasn't an inherent standard ilvl gain overall (though that's also fucked in its own way with BfA).

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Because mobs in BfA scale with your own ilvl. You can see this when you target a mob and it has 100k HP, but once you aggro it its HP jumps to 160k. Then a second player comes along and starts whacking once on the mob to tag it, and suddenly its max HP scales to 240k.

So no matter how powerful you get, all the mobs in the old zones also get more powerful, so you feel like you've gained nothing. This kills the sense of progression in most players entirely. Which is one of the biggest carrots in MMOs.

How they could fuck up such a fundamental part of MMO design is beyond me.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Because mobs in BfA scale with your own ilvl. You can see this when you target a mob and it has 100k HP, but once you aggro it its HP jumps to 160k. Then a second player comes along and starts whacking once on the mob to tag it, and suddenly its max HP scales to 240k.

So no matter how powerful you get, all the mobs in the old zones also get more powerful, so you feel like you've gained nothing. This kills the sense of progression in most players entirely. Which is one of the biggest carrots in MMOs.

How they could fuck up such a fundamental part of MMO design is beyond me.
Yeah I noticed my character getting weaker throughout BFA, it was really weird.

You can have mob scaling like that but you need to get new spells and abilities while doing it so your character feels stronger against the trash mobs. They also need elite mob areas like in Vanilla which would crush you at the start of the expansion alone but with your new abilities become more managable at max level.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
20 ilvls in legion felt significant. Having a piece of gear go from 320 to 370 in BfA doesn't. Which I think is what it breaks down to, ultimately. Not that there wasn't an inherent standard ilvl gain overall (though that's also fucked in its own way with BfA).
Got another 370 ring drop last night to accompany my chest ring from a couple weeks ago. It's still not as good as my 345 or 355 I am wearing. #feelsbadman.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I kind of don't get that asmongold tweet. Don't most companies delete beta and alpha forums on release ?

insert beta for azeroth joke

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't do much raiding in Legion so I just took a snapshot from what I remember. Looks like if EN/NH are the tier and then Tomb is that next that is a 30 point jump so identical?

The point is that it isn't super insanely different.

Yup and I would bet money that world quests/heroic dungeon ilevel bumps up to 350 at least. Its basically along the ones of what we saw in legion. Blizzard has found that people in general seem to like the every raid tier gear reset. If nothing else it makes catching up for people who have lapsed for a bit pretty painless so they can get right back into the swing of it.