World of Warcraft: Current Year

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Sublime with Rome isn't that bad. If were doing music analogies BfA is to WoW what Load is to Metallica.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't really see how a WoW 2.0 would work under current management. If I had to describe WoW today in one word it would be "overdesigned". Gameplay is more directed than ever. So many changes over the years that on the surface appear to be matters of convenience but actually detract from the core gameplay loop (smaller and larger challenges that let the player set goals and achieve them). Pointlessly changing the way classes play, which only frustrates players while bringing nothing to the table in return.

Generally sequels are evolutionary and follow a certain design moreso than the more free-form original (think EQ vs EQ2's linked mobs, class homogenization etc). Any sort of over-overdesigned WoW2 will have even less retaining power than WoW does now (which at least benefits from the player's vested interest in it) and will not generate enough profit relative to the development and infrastructure cost involved.

It's going to take a clean-slate, return-to-first-principles endeavour to get a really good new MMO going and that sort of thing requires boldness and creative freedom, two things that just aren't possible in a large corporation. See the Star Wars franchise lately.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
If I had to describe WoW today in one word it would be "overdesigned".
Half the problem is that WoW is a major success story and management wants growth, which is practically impossible in the current gaming market. The other half is overanalyzation of metrics. You can bet that Blizzard tracks a lot of those metrics: from hours played to how many and what quests were done to how many players do raid/dungeons and how many times they wipe.

However, the insights from these analytics are the problem: Lots of players do world quests, farm AP and grind reputation, so they must like the systems and have fun, right? So in the next expansion you get more AP grind, more reputations to grind and more world quests. It just never occured to those bean counter types that the players just want to get it over with the tedious systems so they finally get to enjoy the fun things.

And that is the point when you realize that Ion has to be the front face getting all the hate, while he has to dance to the tune of stupid bean counter "game designers". Those types that probably worked on mobile games, and that Blizzard hired to maximize player retention. And that is the reason we have a shitty "game inside a game" mission table inside WoW, complete with a companion app on your mobile, so you don't even have to log in to do your "content". It worked so well for WoD.

tl;dr: Everyone hates the systems, but they use it anyways because they want the rewards. So Blizzard thinks only a vocal minority of people complain about it and the rest likes it. So Blizzard makes even more of those systems no one likes.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Gotcha. Old-school children of bodom vs new

I haven't listened to Bodom in years. So they get bad :(? Who left? My best concert ever was Children of Bodom + In Flames + Megadeth. God that was a good concert.

Also, does anyone remember when Activision bought Blizzard and we were told Blizzard would maintain complete autonomy?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've.been levelling a new mage when I get time (not much lately) and usually it's just 30 minutes a day. Goddamn they really slowed this down. Casting 6 frost bolts to kill a mob doesn't really feel good at all. My water elemental basically does fuck all too.

If I get Into a daily dungeon at least it's usually 1-1.5 levels per.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Low level fire felt really good when I was doing it in August. You could basically save cooldowns and burst shit down as you walked from group to group.

And by really good I meant less shitty then other classes. The low level leveling experience is pretty retarded. I should have maxxed all the classes during the Legion pre-patch.

• 1Like

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Ya level as fire, you can basically go around 1 shotting everything with your combo as long as you do it right until like 45-50ish, then it takes 2 or 3 hits.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The stupid thing about leveling up now is that even with the heirlooms its a bitch, so I can imagine how bad it must be for raw character growth.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
The stupid thing about leveling up now is that even with the heirlooms its a bitch, so I can imagine how bad it must be for raw character growth.

I hate how Heirlooms are now worse than current level greens, let alone blues. I wouldn't mind it if it was just blues, but greens too? It somehow makes the gear that drops in dungeon feel even shittier than never upgrading your heirlooms because they are better. Do I equip this +9 agi item over my heirloom or keep the exp? Ahh fuck it, ignore all loot anyways, yet feel like I'm wasting something.

Leveling my alt Marksman Hunter was so fun before the prepatch, and then they gutted the leveling experience in a dozen ways and I haven't played an alt since.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I think if they would fix loot (less rings and cloaks, more trinkets and weapons), do something with AP to not make it miserable, beef up tanks (that need it) and undo some of the GCD shit the game would be in a better state. As it stands, M+ is fun, Uldir is... well a raid and I suppose if I had a guild I'd enjoy it and the rest of the shit is pretty much the same to me.

Professions are lamer than ever too, which doesn't bother me all that much, but I think they really had a good opportunity there to give the professions something that could work with AP to produce worthwhile items.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
lol complaining about leveling.

It tooks weeks in vanilla and there weren't even enough quests.

• 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
lol complaining about leveling.

It tooks weeks in vanilla and there weren't even enough quests.

And in EQ you had to walk barefoot in the snow to slay gnolls with your bear hands. Shut the fuck up with this bullshit. This isn't 2004 the leveling speed in the current game sucks monkey shit.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've been gaining levels in games for over thirty years. Not wanting to go through a slog just to see expansion from the other side or to have a complementary secondary character doesn't make me soft. It used to be faster, they made it slower, and the amount of levels necessary to go from character creation to max goes up and up.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
And in EQ you had to walk barefoot in the snow to slay gnolls with your bear hands. Shut the fuck up with this bullshit. This isn't 2004 the leveling speed in the current game sucks monkey shit.

The weird thing with leveling speed is most games it takes you longer and longer to level as you go but wow currently is nearly the reverse after the 40s. Once you hit 90 and get to the outlands leveling is super fast where half a zone and some bonus areas and you are done. Then legion if you get some luck with invasions leveling is also stupidly fast and BFA weirdly enough with the whole island stuff is also really really fast for a launch patch expansion where none of the mature expansion level boost shit is going on. This just makes the time it takes you to go from like 40-90 that much more odd. Leveling goes pretty fast then slows to a crawl then speeds way up again.