World of Warcraft: Current Year

Cybsled

I want to point out again Dota and how it came from a Bliz game and Blizzard had every chance to embrace that shit but since they are arrogant cocksuckers sniffing their own shit they let what turned into a multi-billion dollar industry slip through their fucking hands because they weren't willing to pay the guy who made it. Now shit like League of Legends and Dota just shit out piles of money and get those microtransaction dollars while Blizzard once again thinking they know better made HOTS which is terrible.

Semi-related, but the documentary about the Fall and Rise of FFXIV helps explain why the 1.0 version of FFXIV was a huge failure. Square-Enix basically had a huge ego problem...they thought they were king shit and figured what worked for FFXI would work for FFXIV, even though MMOs had changed drastically since the EQ1/FFXI days. The fact they were able to rebuild from the ground up and get a successful second chance was a miracle. Yoshi P had played MMOs since the UO/EQ1 days (he used to be a PK in UO lol) and he understood that post-WoW, you couldn't release FFXI /w upgraded graphics and expect a success, so he learned from stuff like WoW and other MMOs to make sure their product accounted for the competition. He had a good analogy about how you can't open a restaurant without researching what all the other local restaurants are doing. But they also point out that a lot of the old guard who remember the 1.0 days aren't there anymore and they are the ones who acutely recall the failure and don't want to repeat.

Blizzard sort of strikes me as being in the same arrogant space right now...they've been on top for so long, they've lost their way

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm thinking of re-subbing just so I can get flying now and not have to worry about it if I ever come back to playing the game again. Can you grind out either of the new factions required or is it more of the same with rep being locked completely behind WQs?

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think a Destiny type mmo looter shooter would be perfect for them. I cant believe they cancelled that shit. Destiny2 continues to be popular as hell, even when its dogshit entire year one and lacklustre Destiny 1, it still sold like hotcakes and continues to do well since they are venturing out on their own now. I cant believe Blizz does not jump on that bandwagon. The genre is rather new and has very few players in it. Its essentially warframe, destiny and 3rd person Division which all have their own set of problems which could be capitalized on with a fresh Blizz game.

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
Time to bastardize this shit: I'll take a firstperson 3D Diablo 4 with guns and fire aoes, a bit like Vermintide, with huge waves of demons please. And then I'd like a modern Titanquest with more classes and content.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
I honestly believe that Blizzard management thought the Diablo franchise was dead. It took to long between 2 and 3, initial reception to D3 was between lukewarm and outright hostility. Remember the RMAH? Yeah, that went really well with the community. So they canceled the 2nd expansion for D3.

Management thought that Diablo (as a isometric dungeon crawler) isn't that complex and could work as a first entry on mobile to test the waters, so they outsorced that shit as a test balloon. They never expected the Blizzcon reaction (Wyatt Chengs face makes these funny "wtf is going on?" and "i hope they don't riot and lynch me" reactions), so they started to scramble D4 production post Blizzcon 2018 so they have something to show for 2019.

But with Activision breathing down Blizzards neck no one wants to touch the corpse of a dead franchise inside Blizzard, and Looter Shooters were a hit with Destiny/Division. Especially as a live service with expansion passes and nickel-and-diming the audience. Anthem wasn't a smoking crater at the time yet, so it is entirely plausible they tried something that would trigger the Diablo fans.

Because when did Blizzard in recent years understand what the fans want? You think you do, but you really don't.

Lukewarm perception doesn't mean shit when D3 was the highest selling PC game of all time in that era. Plus added RMAH sales. (It's still #3 highest selling)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah and I mean lets not forget POE, which essentially took over Blizzards Diablo fan base and grew that company and brand to new heights within jsut a few years, so its not like the genre is somehow dead, its just that D3 ended up being shit.

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Time to bastardize this shit: I'll take a firstperson 3D Diablo 4 with guns and fire aoes, a bit like Vermintide, with huge waves of demons please. And then I'd like a modern Titanquest with more classes and content.
This sounds amazing.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If that 4chan leak is real, I feel bad for Tenks. That was his dream job to work at Blizzard and I'm sure we can all relate - it was my dream job too (except.. living in hipster california). That's a real shame.

Let's not forget that just a few years ago these guys were kings of the industry. If their sub count dipped below a million for WoW that's absolutely disgusting. Weren't they up over 13M during WOTLK?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
DOOM with 500x as many enemies and special abilities?

• 1Mother of God

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Semi-related, but the documentary about the Fall and Rise of FFXIV helps explain why the 1.0 version of FFXIV was a huge failure. Square-Enix basically had a huge ego problem...they thought they were king shit and figured what worked for FFXI would work for FFXIV, even though MMOs had changed drastically since the EQ1/FFXI days. The fact they were able to rebuild from the ground up and get a successful second chance was a miracle. Yoshi P had played MMOs since the UO/EQ1 days (he used to be a PK in UO lol) and he understood that post-WoW, you couldn't release FFXI /w upgraded graphics and expect a success, so he learned from stuff like WoW and other MMOs to make sure their product accounted for the competition. He had a good analogy about how you can't open a restaurant without researching what all the other local restaurants are doing. But they also point out that a lot of the old guard who remember the 1.0 days aren't there anymore and they are the ones who acutely recall the failure and don't want to repeat.

Blizzard sort of strikes me as being in the same arrogant space right now...they've been on top for so long, they've lost their way
Just to reiterate here - this documentary is absolutely amazing. If you like game design in the slightest, or even just MMOs, it's incredible to watch what they did.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Blizzard was my dream job as well, until a friend started working there making 3x less as she would in literally any other software development field and having absurdly high cost of living because Southern California lol

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Blizzard was my dream job as well, until a friend started working there making 3x less as she would in literally any other software development field and having absurdly high cost of living because Southern California lol
Yeah I make a pretty good income for my professional level of software engineering.. I'd probably make half there

Nola

Trakanon Raider
If that 4chan leak is real, I feel bad for Tenks. That was his dream job to work at Blizzard and I'm sure we can all relate - it was my dream job too (except.. living in hipster california). That's a real shame.
Does anyone know what he did at Blizzard?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think I would have an issue with my work place telling me "You're not allowed to post on that forum anymore" - if that was the case. Just because I would be working on some amaze-balls project, doesnt mean Im going to toss my job out of the window via NDA breach. So maybe Tenks? Maybe whats his name with Pantheon? etc.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I think I would have an issue with my work place telling me "You're not allowed to post on that forum anymore" - if that was the case. Just because I would be working on some amaze-balls project, doesnt mean Im going to toss my job out of the window via NDA breach. So maybe Tenks? Maybe whats his name with Pantheon? etc.
Convo Convo

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It may have been his own choice. I know people were tagging him for everything blizz related for awhile.

Also the creative director of wow being furor might have something to do with it