World of Warcraft: Current Year

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I have honestly been burned to many times on their promises to get hyped about this.

Every year it’s lessons were learned and less RNG, and we hear you, and lessons were learned, and we’ll make classes feel more like classes, and lessons were learned, and squish this and squish that and lessons were learned. Not buying it.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
So wait until tomorrow when they actually talk about those games systems.

The M+ change alone is enough to make me have SOME desire to do m+ though. I already said it here, but I got a belt 8 weeks in a row from my mythic chest and I've not done a single m+ since like a month before classic launched because of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yeah it’s the same shit to repackaged for morons, just like those dumb enough to not understand WQ are daily quests.

This new system is just more AP aids repackaged.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The problem with AP was in its infinite, and exponential gain to reward structure.

There's going to be a secondary XP system, it's just how its packaged, where it's limited -- how much you can get per day, and how much you need to "grind" or "do" in order to make up the gap, given any catchup mechanics for folks who don't sign in every fuckin' day.

I'm thinking artifact weapon traits, but seriously trimmed down to special abilities, and you get your one ability for that month after the first day, then spend your anima on shit like transmog, pets, toys, mounts, etc etc. At least, that would be the least painful way of implementing it for me.

The tower is still going to be islands repackaged, and give you the most anima at higher levels. Watch.

xzi

Mouthbreather
The way it's worded in that wowhead post doesn't sound like AP at all. Guess we'll see tomorrow lol

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
World of Warcraft: Shadowlands will smooth out the leveling experience and better prepare new adventurers for what’s to come. Players will level up to 50 before heading to the Shadowlands (new level cap: 60).

We’ve adjusted the experience curve to make it faster than ever to prepare for the newest challenges, and each level along the way will provide more meaningful increases in progress and power. All expansion zones are getting more flexible, too; they’ll be able* to scale to you and your friends while you level to 50, so it’s easy to try a zone you’ve never played.

*You can still outlevel dungeons and crush them for transmogs or fulfillment.

Levels 1-10: A New Journey for New Players
New characters will embark on an introductory voyage to learn about everything there is to do in Azeroth, including your first mini-dungeon.

Levels 10-50: Pick Your Era
Play the latest expansion, Battle for Azeroth, or follow Chromie back in time and tackle any other expansion you choose, with challenges that scale to characters level 10–50.

Levels 50-60: Enter the Shadowlands
Step into Azeroth’s afterlife, and stand shoulder-to-shoulder with legends of the past as you fight to preserve the universe

I remember suggesting this exact change a year or so ago, though my suggestion included squishing characters and exiting expansions down with each new one for the new one and its levelling to take place of it.

The new 1-10 exerience is a good idea as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
I kind of hope it doesn't take the same amount of time to get max, because the game is bland leveling and making it just have smaller numbers won't make a difference.

The party sync thing is certainly cool as fuck already, if you have someone you enjoy levleing with.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I kind of hope it doesn't take the same amount of time to get max, because the game is bland leveling and making it just have smaller numbers won't make a difference.

The party sync thing is certainly cool as fuck already, if you have someone you enjoy levleing with.

Levelling is really fast now. I think its something like 2 days with heirlooms. Their comments about this are that its going to be even faster.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Arthas was just a human. Bolvar is some weird undead hybrid created by the magic of the red dragonflight who was able to resist the control of the Lich King. Conversely Sylvanas was some random named elf that Arthas raised from the dead while he was still a baby death knight and wasn't even the Lich King yet.

She won because of plot armor.
Sylvanas was the Ranger General of Quel'thalas and sister of Alleria who was a hero unit in Warcraft 2 and it's expansion.

She was in charge of the entire defence against the Scourge and Arthas raised her as a punishment for being so effective in delaying him.

Bolvar was a random guy with no backstory made up for WoW to be Anduin's guard in Stormwind. He was given fation leader stats and soloed Onyxia's guards on the attunment quest, so players somewhat liked him. Similar to Saurfang although he has an epic brother in a book.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Bolvar also lead the charge against the gates of Icecrown, last standing in the undead gassing, before taking dragon's breath to the face, then drug up to the top of the tower and chained as a trophy by Arthas. That's a pretty big step up in background story, but yeah, no where near Sylvanas, but treated with the same level of... What's the word for it, respect, but also really not..?... After we inevitably kill/redeem Sylvanas, all we have left of the original characters is what... Jaina...? Thrall. Khadgar. I mean, Illidan is still corner pocketed, too. What's her face who guarded him before he was crystallized, the Warden.

Expac after this will very likely go back to dragons.

Black.

Dragons.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Well he ain't dead so there's still time, but idk wtf he does without the helm
"Hi Darion? Got kicked out of my old job, need a new one. Get out of the way, I'm taking charge of the DKs."

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Oh, and I just realized. Since we're getting all the dead people from Azeroth, junior can probably say hi to daddy, and by the way, did she really got you killed in Legion?

velk

Trakanon Raider
I don't think I can get over the level squish to be honest.

Intellectually I realise that it doesn't make any practical difference, but the thing with rpgs, even MMORPGs is that the illusions matter - heroic strike can be literally exactly the same thing as 'sword attack one', but it's just better anyway. They've just been systematically removing things and grinding down 'things that don't matter' in the name of streamlining and for me, I think this is actually the tipping point.

It doesn't help that the expansion is also completely missing any kind of hook other than islands v2 ( because getting two other people who could put up with that shit was too hard, you can now do it by yourself ).

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Levelling is really fast now. I think its something like 2 days with heirlooms. Their comments about this are that its going to be even faster.
Still takes a long time. The autist who made AAP does it in like 24 hours. I've leveled a bunch, still takes me 40 or 50 hours to max.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Intellectually I realise that it doesn't make any practical difference, but the thing with rpgs, even MMORPGs is that the illusions matter - heroic strike can be literally exactly the same thing as 'sword attack one', but it's just better anyway. They've just been systematically removing things and grinding down 'things that don't matter' in the name of streamlining and for me, I think this is actually the tipping point.

It doesn't help that the expansion is also completely missing any kind of hook other than islands v2 ( because getting two other people who could put up with that shit was too hard, you can now do it by yourself ).

I don't mind squishes, but Blizzard is going to fuck this up large because they can't math anymore.

The real question is why they are bothering fiddling with something that's been in the game for 15 years? Leave it the fuck alone and make some new stuff, I say.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage

In the current state of WoW leveling from 1-120 you get barely any new skills as you gain levels, you can go up to 80 levels without things like a silence (hi balance druids), without any means to counteract certain mob abilities and you only get talents at set intervals with large level gaps in between. You don't even get anything new from 100-120. If they do the squish right they'll be able to fix all that. If they do it wrong it's just kinda more of the same.

I don't see a level squish as pandering to streamers or high end raiders or the like. I see it as a necessary change to get new people interested (60 levels is a lot more palateable than 130 to a new player) and to hopefully make the leveling process more dynamic for existing players. We'll see how it's implemented but I'm in favor of it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't mind squishes, but Blizzard is going to fuck this up large because they can't math anymore.

The real question is why they are bothering fiddling with something that's been in the game for 15 years? Leave it the fuck alone and make some new stuff, I say.

They've fiddled with the leveling experience every expac since cataclysm. Talent system changes, ability/spec changes, changes to leveling speed, changes to level scaling. Leaving the leveling experience alone since vanilla would have made this game unbearable to play after any extended break. Could you imagine trying to level to 120 at classic leveling speeds? Or wanted to switch mains? Fuck that.