World of Warcraft: Current Year

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think any of us participating in the discussion earlier and fucking around during pre-patch/expansion release is "playing WoW full time".
If we were playing at the top level and "full time", we'd be sitting on the SL beta right now and playtest the latest patch changes, find strategies and do raid testing.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So just to so I’m reading this right. We’re specifically talking about how playing WoW full time directly relates to how successful you are. With both “full time” and “successful” being unsurprisingly... undefined.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't think any of us participating in the discussion earlier and fucking around during pre-patch/expansion release is "playing WoW full time". Hell, we'll probably be doing something else in 2 months when we can't be bothered the grinds Blizzard seemed to be determined to add to SL.

So yeah, we all think you're projecting a lot right now.
I'm not saying that you all are.

Only pepple projecting are those defending the poop sockers grinding gear for no reason.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Only pepple projecting are those defending the poop sockers grinding gear for no reason.
Have you ever noticed that a lot of ex-smokers come off as preachy, bordering on zealotry when it comes to smoking? You can also observe this in vegans.

The same seems to be true for MMO ex-addicts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Have you ever noticed that a lot of ex-smokers come off as preachy, bordering on zealotry when it comes to smoking? You can also observe this in vegans.

The same seems to be true for MMO ex-addicts.
Most ex smokers I know say it's a shitty habit that's hard to break, so it's best you don't start. Not sure how that is preachy.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Every ex smoker I know is more inclined to say "Oh don't go anywhere with that cigarette, I just wanna smell the smoke for a second. God I miss a coffee and a cigarette in the morning"

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Every ex smoker I know is more inclined to say "Oh don't go anywhere with that cigarette, I just wanna smell the smoke for a second. God I miss a coffee and a cigarette in the morning"
I smoked for 15 years. Worst part of cigarettes now is the smell. Shits nasty.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So just to so I’m reading this right. We’re specifically talking about how playing WoW full time directly relates to how successful you are. With both “full time” and “successful” being unsurprisingly... undefined.

Well to be fair Chris is a cucked eurofag so you can gauge anything he says through that lens.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Much like ex MMO players, ex smokers come in different types. Some are the "let me smell that cig", some are the it's a really tough habit to break types, and some are the Chris I completely quit cold turkey from smoking 2+ packs a day for 5 years because I had better things to do with my time and money, and everyone should have the willpower to do it exactly like I did.

• 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
See, if you play the "god imagine what productive things I'd have done if it weren't for MMOs" game you run smack into the "oh, probably would have spent a decade watching TV/Endless Youtube Videos" corollary.

It's like the "If I don't pay down this 3% loan I can invest the money I would have spent on it and make way more in the end!"=>Never actually invests the money.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
=>Never actually invests the money.
You can also "invest" it into hookers and blow. No joke, a guy during my time in the army told me that he "invested" 2500 euros for a weekend of ... er... "full service." He said it was the best weekend of his life.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Decided to pick up an MMO as at a personal level I can't seem to get any enjoyment out of single player games and Smite/LOL while great just lack that feeling of investment and gradual power gain that I always enjoyed. I spent about 15 years doing fairly high end to bleeding edge raiding in 5-6 MMO's and did enjoy it but at this point am looking for a more balanced game that can has some options to really push but also can be really enjoyable to play with myself and my wife who just picked up gaming in the last few years.

We played FFXIV before which she liked but we quit when school + work got abit too hard to manage for her but are back to having ample free time. My main problem with FFXIV was it just seemed abit too much on rails as far as having no "builds", gear upgrades seemed really lack luster and meaningless, and general combat was abit slow (always hated the ICD ratio's they choose). Flip side it has amazing production value, easy to jump in and do an hour or two a night of daily's etc with her. Our accounts are partially through stormblood if i recall.

Been alot longer since we did WOW, think we only leveled to 10 or something and some reason she wanted to try FF again. I had 2-3 stints of top end raiding (top 10 US guilds) but its been quiet some time. I saw they are completely redoing the leveling curve and have a new expansion Nov 23rd so thought maybe would be a good time to jump in there as WOW had pvp and insta raiding plus if i recall easy as fuck modes for base raiding as she wasn't a pro gamer so could be fun?

Anyone who is familiar with both games have any insight that can tip the scales? I do want something i can play independently as i go to bed about 3-5 hours later then her so have plenty of free time in the evenings to enjoy pushing abit harder on content etc.

Regarding MMO's stealing your life to be competitive, I definitely don't think that is true in all cases but in general terms of course it can be a black hole. I started hard core raiding in EQ when i started college and managed to finish 3rd in my BS and 1st in my Masters in engineering while being a starter on the college football team. Managed to have a relatively balanced social life but I ran the raid guild so I did make the scheduling abit more flexible to my life. I've had a very successful career in a demanding work place requiring 60-80 hour weeks in management and senior management roles for over 14 years now and still raided in top end guilds in every MMO i played during that time. I think the key to being a top end MMO player is about efficiency and aligning with the proper teams. You get so much more done when you have like minded people and you approach games with a continuous improvement/six sigma approach and not a bunch of nerdy fucks jerking off to goblin vag.

That being said, while I am happily married and have a 17 year old step son, i never had young children etc during this time span which is obviously a game changer that impacts alot of people. I've also had the advantage of running off ~ 5 hours of sleep since I was 14 most days so you can get a lot done, but not everyone can do that and stay healthy so I feel fortunate for that.

Just saying its definitely viable to have a normal well rounded life and stay near the top, heck i'm still benching + 315 lbs at 39 but would be lying if old age is starting to creep in at the gym and on the game screen...Smite i can still be very competitive in ranked but I tried picking up LOL and get my ass raped in 7 of 10 ranked games to the point I think Hello Kitty would be a better place, fingers are abit jacked from so many years of sports so loosing abit of an edge on games that require extremely quick APM's. WRU EQ circa 2000 where you hit ice comet every 8 seconds and did your homework on the side.....

• 1Hodjing

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone who is familiar with both games have any insight that can tip the scales?
On one hand WoW is going to be "do the daily chores", which may or may not be enjoyable. But you have to keep up with it or wait until catch-up mechanics kick in. Also, the "theme park ride" aspect kicks in hard with Shadowlands, because you are forced to do zones to get from 50 to 60. In order, and you have to do them all. It's as on rails as FFXIV at this point.

On the other hand: Shadowbringers is the best Final Fantasy game Square has put out in the last decade, which is why they put Yoshi-P on both FFXIV and FFXVI, especially after the shitshow FFXV development was. It is a FF game first and an MMO second.

Daidraco

When I saw that wall of text, I was like... Here we go, someone finally stepped up and introduced themself in this MMO Anonymous group.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couple days before release and we got a whole page on ex smokers. This expansion is obviously very hyped.

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Most of us here are already established in our careers or have long since started our own businesses. Nothing you do or ever will do impresses people: not your Wix consulting business, not your shitty taste in music, and certainly not playing chess online at a grade school level. There are several people on this board that I know of not only played WoW full time but also worked full time and made piles of cash. Just because you failed at both doesn't mean other people did.

But hey...grats on your start in running your own business. I'm sure people are banging your door down to help them build websites on Wix. We can all see that you've realized it is too late to make a difference in your life and you are lashing out at people who are or were successful and earned the time to fuck around with as we please.

Pretty real. My friends haven't had an end-user ring their phone in 4-5 years. That's when you know you got fuck-around time.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dunno why this thought popped into my head but while hiking today I figured out exactly how the story will end this expansion...

Sylvanas is literally the exact same character as Kerrigan.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think any of us participating in the discussion earlier and fucking around during pre-patch/expansion release is "playing WoW full time". Hell, we'll probably be doing something else in 2 months when we can't be bothered the grinds Blizzard seemed to be determined to add to SL.

So yeah, we all think you're projecting a lot right now.

Yeap, BFA lasted most of this forum 30-45 days. It's a minority that have made WoW a job.

You should be able to tell the difference you'd think, but if you are casually reading the thread I guess not.