World of Warcraft: Current Year

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well, it's also a QoL improvement that basically everyone appreciated. In fact, I think most of the playerbase would have accepted never having flying again as long as we could use the flight whistle. It's always a headscratcher why they give players these QoL improvements only to take them away.
Because learning from the mistakes of your predecessors is too complex, and would require you to acknowledge that you aren't better than them in every possible way.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
What the fuck happened to the silver and daily golden chests in Bastion?

Also - ran a 5 dps level 3 upper reaches and it went really well, people used their broader class abilities for healing and such and it was a snap.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What the fuck happened to the silver and daily golden chests in Bastion?

Also - ran a 5 dps level 3 upper reaches and it went really well, people used their broader class abilities for healing and such and it was a snap.
Ive Duoed Torghast three times with a dps to put them across the finish line. I can visibly tell that they would just get eaten alive in some fights. Im not sure if its gear, spec, or what. But Im wondering if its just best to just swap your spec at certain layers. As a Tank Im fine now, but at later ilvl and the higher layers like 7 or 8 - will it be better for me to switch to a DPS spec etc. Is it the opposite for DPS at the early levels is the real question.

I picked up a few Anima Powers that helped them each time. They appear only when others are in the party, so it's coded correctly. But some of the Anima Powers that Prot Paladins have are amazing in there. One is Blessing of Sacrifice on the person every 45 seconds if they drop below 50% health, which isnt bad. A good one was when I cast Word of Glory on myself, the lowest party member is healed by 25% of its value - considering I use it all the time there this one was the most useful. Casting Divine Shield also casts Divine Shield on all party members was nice.

Point being, there are some nice party features they've added without them being overwhelming in the choices, so I still had plenty of "fun" ones to pick. The Kyrian Steward buffs you get in there are minimal at first, but when theyre stacked up - they are outrageous. I only found out cause they just kept forcing me to get them - but Phial of Serenity would heal me to full, he would heal me AND buff me, and by the very end I was at 120% run speed. Was dumb, but so freaking fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I've learned that some DPS are just bad and have absolutely no sense of self-preservation. Shocking right?

Did another PUG for Soulforges 3 before the reset and one guy died 5 times on the first floor and then ragequit and the remaining four of us cleared the place. Choosing anima powers that compliment the group and are focused on overall success vs pew-pew numbers are key. This being WOW I'm sure that within a few weeks it'll all just be big dick AE DPS to pull the entire floor at once is the only viable strategy, but for now its actually fun.

Daidraco

I've learned that some DPS are just bad and have absolutely no sense of self-preservation. Shocking right?

Did another PUG for Soulforges 3 before the reset and one guy died 5 times on the first floor and then ragequit and the remaining four of us cleared the place. Choosing anima powers that compliment the group and are focused on overall success vs pew-pew numbers are key. This being WOW I'm sure that within a few weeks it'll all just be big dick AE DPS to pull the entire floor at once is the only viable strategy, but for now its actually fun.
Im sure at some point layer 8 will be that way, but from the looks of it.. that'll be a while. Im 176 and layer 3 still puts me in precarious positions at times. Usually its cause I do get in the "fk this, pull em all" mood.

Speaking of ilvl, Ive got a few pieces of mythic gear that didnt sim out well at all. So the whole "ilvl is better" mantra that this expansion and BFA keeps/kept trying to push isnt quite true. For example - A 184 Crit/Versatility ring came out 25% less on pawn weights for that sim than the proper secondaries of a Heroic 171 Haste/Mastery ring, for example. Just pointing this out in case someone is drinking the kool-aid.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Im sure at some point layer 8 will be that way, but from the looks of it.. that'll be a while. Im 176 and layer 3 still puts me in precarious positions at times. Usually its cause I do get in the "fk this, pull em all" mood.

Speaking of ilvl, Ive got a few pieces of mythic gear that didnt sim out well at all. So the whole "ilvl is better" mantra that this expansion and BFA keeps/kept trying to push isnt quite true. For example - A 184 Crit/Versatility ring came out 25% less on pawn weights for that sim than the proper secondaries of a Heroic 171 Haste/Mastery ring, for example. Just pointing this out in case someone is drinking the kool-aid.
ilvl over all has never been true. Ion kept pitching it but he is a retard. secondary stats are too strong most of the time.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
It's crazy coming back to WoW after a long EQ stint, and seeing people complain about covenant choices having penalties or long time investments to swap. I share similar sentiments, but I had to ask myself, "Why?" this morning.

Pretty much, an RPG progression choice feels so out of place for the audience that WoW fostered on top of the actual gameplay. It's a great system and would work... if you didn't streamline the rest of character choices, like the talent trees in Cata, the campaign/story quests, etc.. and god forbid they nerf one of the covenants you like. But also, in early MMORPGs, we just sucked it up and played whatever the fuck we enjoyed at the end of the day, even if it was unviable (in EverQuest terms, Human Magicians, Wood Elf/Gnome Warriors, Half Elf Druids etc) and min/maxing choices were tossed to the wayside. The term 'powergaming' was a thing back then. Now what we once called 'powergaming' is the norm, and casuals or those who pick bad choices are shunned and kicked out of groups. How interesting how quickly a genre changes based on catering to one group.

I imagine someone on design said, "Hey, let's dial the game back a bit. Put the role back in roleplaying", not knowing how the current audience they attracted would react.

Borrowed power or not, it's just... out of place for this game. I don't know why I ultimately feel that way other than what I described above. Players don't like being told "This is a choice you make and it has consequences" anymore, and it's because they cater to an audience that doesn't spend tons of time on one game anymore.

Reflections aside, Torghast is SUPER fun. Massive XIV PotD vibes, and I love it. Can't wait till higher floors, seems too easy when solo right now. Maybe need to carry some bodies through it for a challenge.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

That seems to be due secondary stats being subject to harsher diminishing returns, but the DR they implemented isn't good enough. If you're missing too much of one stat, the diminishing returns you receive on those stats is far greater than item level benefits or having the right stats. Blizz wanted to avoid stat stacking it seems, and wanted 'iLevel upgrades' to take precedence regardless of stats. But it didn't work.

At the end of the day, you'll have to sim it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Rings used to not give primary stats, is this still the case? That's what usually made rings especially not fit into the whole "ilvl over everything" mantra.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Rings used to not give primary stats, is this still the case? That's what usually made rings especially not fit into the whole "ilvl over everything" mantra.
Rings have Stamina, but not Primary. But to further the point, my Crit Mastery Heroic boots simmed out better than the epic Crit Vers boots. In these early ilvl sims, Mastery and Haste are just weighted so much more than Crit for example. It's even more interesting knowing that Castle Denathria has only a few Haste / Mastery upgrades in its entire loot table for Plate. >.> Mythic Keystone Farming is definitely in my future if I want BiS.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, jewellery doesn't have primary stats on them anymore (stam isn't primary) so their value is more about the stat distribution rather than the ilvl

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I like all the burly men in this thread lately feeling threatened by female characters yet calling others "beta cucks".

I've played throughout the story and I'll echo the sentiment that if anything, the female major characters in this expansion are for the most part pretty "Good is dumb", except maybe Draka and Vashj who are a bit more subtle.

Denathrius is an evil traitor of course but he's enjoyable in that role, and you see it coming from miles away so it's not really a feminist gotcha either.

I'm hard-pressed to find any of this oppressive or threatening to my masculinity, but I guess some of you have such small dicks the tiniest mention of female power might make it disappear for good.

Just play the game or don't, but stop trying to find SJW shit all the time in everything and shove it down the throats of everyone because it's just as annoying if not worse than the actual SJWs doing it.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It appears you can't save up Anima items to turn in after you get the new Weekly to get credit towards the new 1k.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It appears you can't save up Anima items to turn in after you get the new Weekly to get credit towards the new 1k.
I kinda figured it would go that was because even last week some anima stuff did not count towards that number.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was wondering what the must have addons that retail has that classic doesn't? Cuz i haven't played retail in years. I have the standard (Weakauras, DBM, Details) but thats it.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
The weekly anima gathering counts the anima you get from WQs and killing rares, not from the little anima items you use to fill the reservoir.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Handy Notes & Handy Notes : Shadow Lands is pretty nice to have in the Maw and for some of the daily Emissary quests. Details vs Recount is up for discussion, but I like Details better.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ive Duoed Torghast three times with a dps to put them across the finish line. I can visibly tell that they would just get eaten alive in some fights. Im not sure if its gear, spec, or what. But Im wondering if its just best to just swap your spec at certain layers. As a Tank Im fine now, but at later ilvl and the higher layers like 7 or 8 - will it be better for me to switch to a DPS spec etc. Is it the opposite for DPS at the early levels is the real question.

I picked up a few Anima Powers that helped them each time. They appear only when others are in the party, so it's coded correctly. But some of the Anima Powers that Prot Paladins have are amazing in there. One is Blessing of Sacrifice on the person every 45 seconds if they drop below 50% health, which isnt bad. A good one was when I cast Word of Glory on myself, the lowest party member is healed by 25% of its value - considering I use it all the time there this one was the most useful. Casting Divine Shield also casts Divine Shield on all party members was nice.

Point being, there are some nice party features they've added without them being overwhelming in the choices, so I still had plenty of "fun" ones to pick. The Kyrian Steward buffs you get in there are minimal at first, but when theyre stacked up - they are outrageous. I only found out cause they just kept forcing me to get them - but Phial of Serenity would heal me to full, he would heal me AND buff me, and by the very end I was at 120% run speed. Was dumb, but so freaking fun.
yeah and it was fun doing it together. Bosses on level 2 and 3 seem to be overtuned? I don't know, but as a DPS warrior I can easily get to the bosses on both level 2 and 3 but I can't kill them without the correct anima powers (for level 2 at least... for 3, it's not even close)

• 1Like

nu_11

I like all the burly men in this thread lately feeling threatened by female characters yet calling others "beta cucks".

I've played throughout the story and I'll echo the sentiment that if anything, the female major characters in this expansion are for the most part pretty "Good is dumb", except maybe Draka and Vashj who are a bit more subtle.

Denathrius is an evil traitor of course but he's enjoyable in that role, and you see it coming from miles away so it's not really a feminist gotcha either.

I'm hard-pressed to find any of this oppressive or threatening to my masculinity, but I guess some of you have such small dicks the tiniest mention of female power might make it disappear for good.

Just play the game or don't, but stop trying to find SJW shit all the time in everything and shove it down the throats of everyone because it's just as annoying if not worse than the actual SJWs doing it.
It's Blizzard, of course they're gonna SJW. But I did get a good laugh out of the fact that Ysera has lady-like eyelashes in her dragon form... LOL. I also just found at that Horde got a furry race... fuck me.
The weekly anima gathering counts the anima you get from WQs and killing rares, not from the little anima items you use to fill the reservoir.
Yep just found that out. The counter is updated when you receive the anima item rewards and not when you fill up your reservoir. Also, anima items in your bank are consumed when you refill your reservoir despite them not being in your inventory.