World of Warcraft: Current Year

xzi

Mouthbreather
The only thing known about legendaries mentioned at blizzcon is they want them to feel legendary and not just have +gooder. They mentioned they were going to be very rare but there will supposedly be ways to go about targeting certain items.

I'm all for D3 loot in WoW cause gear doesn't matter in like 5 weeks after x content patch anyways

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gold rotation is just about the same. Garrison missions with gold followers. Fel Blight and particularly True Iron Ore sells really well.
Not sure if it's just me or what, but on my 2 characters I've gotten a total of 6 gold missions in the past 4 days. It used to be 6 a day, each.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if it's just me or what, but on my 2 characters I've gotten a total of 6 gold missions in the past 4 days. It used to be 6 a day, each.
They may have stealth nerfed it, but I haven't noticed any changes. Since 6.2 it seems like one character will get several treasure missions while everyone else only gets one or two at most.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Can anyone, in as few words as possible, explain the idea in gear in this new expansion? I've been away for a while, check MMO Champ, and just see tons upon tons of legendaries for every slot. Is this their plan? Have everyone wear full suits of legendary gear with ridiculous effects to keep up with? Or is it supposed to be all only 1 legendary equippable at a time?

I want to believe this game is trying to improve itself, I really do, but this Legion info I'm reading is almost like an endless parody of April Fools Jokes.
Artifacts: Main andonlyweapons - one per spec. Each one has multiple skins and an internal talent tree.

Legendaries: Think Diablo 3 - World drops (probably) with some sort of 'mini-talent' built in. You're probably going to end up with one ormaybetwo legendaries which are even useful for your spec so the rest of your gear will be the usual questing/dungeon/raid/etc. drops.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Don't know if it was mentioned but WoW is $4.95 and WoD is $12.95 right now in the Blizzard store. I picked up WoD because why not for 13 bucks.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
There's no free month, so keep that in mind. But you should be able to blow through it in a week which is what they give like to everybody who has been unsubbed for a while.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm all for diablo loot in WoW, but what worries the little altoholic in me is that between artifacts that require levelling and random legendaries (unless they are going to make them Bind to Account), the commitment to a main becomes much more emphatized. It's going to take ages to switch character/class halfway through the expansion. Maybe world drops will be so rare that it won't matter much.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm all for diablo loot in WoW, but what worries the little altoholic in me is that between artifacts that require levelling and random legendaries (unless they are going to make them Bind to Account), the commitment to a main becomes much more emphatized.
I'm pretty sure it's the point.

The datamining shows the legendaries bound, so they are almost certainly BoP. Meaning they are going to be personal spec-loot system (i.e. when you get one, it's one that's useable by you). They might add another mechanic to it, but I doubt it; the spec-specific loot system works right now, and it's pretty sufficient for that. If they're as rare as random BOE epics were in vanilla, you won't be able to really farm them even with your main, much less with an alt.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
as long as I don't have to create another cloak or ring this expansion I'll be happy. Let me play alts without mandatory weekly commitment please

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm pretty sure it's the point.

The datamining shows the legendaries bound, so they are almost certainly BoP. Meaning they are going to be personal spec-loot system (i.e. when you get one, it's one that's useable by you). They might add another mechanic to it, but I doubt it; the spec-specific loot system works right now, and it's pretty sufficient for that. If they're as rare as random BOE epics were in vanilla, you won't be able to really farm them even with your main, much less with an alt.
Why would the focus on making life harder for alts? Alternate characters offer longevity, something their game needs so badly, given that everything else is at best a 2 months effort and subsequent patches add pretty much nothing if you analyze them over the time period they are stretched upon.
I may be an exception, given that I play an obscene amount of characters, but even my friends kept their subscriptions longer so they could play alts, level them and run a few LFRs. From what they told me having to level artifacts is not really exciting.
I honestly don't care much, if they stay true to their statement that raids won't be mandatory (and the only) content, I'll be happy to run them once in tourist mode and then focus on different aspects of the game.

DavivMcD

Peasant
Why would the focus on making life harder for alts?
Let's keep things in proper perspective here. When you say 'harder' what you actually mean is 'the same for all characters'. If that is one extreme end of the spectrum, it seems a much better option than the other end, which would be making all gear/artifact progression account wide. Why would you spend any time playing your alts if they instantly had as much power as your main? Progression is a large part of what makes playing an alt fun, and keeps you invested in that character.

That said, they have stated they want to strike a balance between those two extremes. We don't know how yet, but there will be catch-up mechanics for alt and off-spec artifact progression. Something probably similar to the legendary ring quest in WoD. Getting the final form of the ring may still be a pain for alts, but it is a hell of a lot easier to get the earlier stages for your alts than the first character you did it on. I have several alts I barely play with a 680-710 ring, when the rest of their gear is 650-675, and most of that from shipyard missions from my main characters.

Bitterness

Trakanon Raider
I would appreciate going the other direction in regards to alts. Once I have more then three characters I feel the need to log in daily, the game becomes more of a chore then an enjoyable activity to engage in when I have the time to devote to it. This is probably more a symptom of maturing in the genre, but I would love a reason to focus solely on one toon with regards to casual progression. I'm excited to see the daily activities they have planned around increasing your artifacts power, and see this as being a great opportunity to tie you more closely to a single character.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Their answer to the "nothing to do" problem is give you tons of stuff to do, constant leveling of your artifact, farming legendaries, more dailies than you can reasonably do, etc... The downside is it makes alts a pain in the ass. It is a fair trade and a good one for the health of the game imo.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Their answer to the "nothing to do" problem is give you tons of stuff to do, constant leveling of your artifact, farming legendaries, more dailies than you can reasonably do, etc... The downside is it makes alts a pain in the ass. It is a fair trade and a good one for the health of the game imo.
As someone who tends to not alt very much in games Legion sounds perfect for me. I'd prefer to define a single character in an MMO than have to have 5+ max levels just so I can reuse daily content.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
As someone who likes alts it's insane to me that someone would complain about character specific progression. That's the point of an alt. Yea, yea you have your raiding main that's a beast but oh, damn your healer alt is pretty geared and can help out on this new dungeon with your friends. It's a mark of time/skill that your alt is loaded with a couple pieces of cool shit from high end raiding or pvp and the scrubs' mains can't even approach your alt without the searing light of accomplishment blinding their unworthy eyes.

Kids these days.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I think it depends on how people view/use alts.

Some people don't really have a main and alts...but rather rotating "mains". They play one for a period of time, then they cast it aside, and play another on, and always consider the current character that they are playing...their main.

For those people character specific progression is annoying.

I never expect my alts to be anywhere near as well geared as my main, or to actually have their progression(faction, legendary quest, etc.) to be anywhere near my main.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well those people are dumb and not what an RPG is about so they should feel bad and play CoD instead.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can still have alts, they just aren't as easy to have raid ready anymore. If you have enough time, you can have 10 alts all raid ready still, you just can't go from fresh max level to raid ready in a week like you can today. It is too fast and easy today, hence, nothing to do on mains and alts.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Some monk solo healed mythic Archimonde what the fuck. I solo healed Karazhan once.. lmao