World of Warcraft: Current Year

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Lessons were learned, we will fix it eventually. it will all be better next time.

maxresdefault.jpg

PCGamer Interview with Ion Hazzikostas on Patch 8.2
PCGamer interviewed Ion Hazzikostas on the upcoming Patch 8.2 - Rise of Azshara and the lessons the team has learned from Battle for Azeroth's launch.

General Philosophy

• There is still no exact date when 8.2 will be on the PTR, but Ion says "not too long after this, we're going to have a large info dump for the community and (public test realm) for Rise of Azshara will start."
  • 8.2 is a "very large content patch."

Nazjatar

• 8.2 will take the best features of past endgame content, but is also trying a lot of new things.
  • The team doesn't just want Nazjatar to feel like a familiar formula applied to a new set of terrain, but an actual meaningful different game experience from the past few months.

Azerite System

• Having to re-earn your traits as you get better gear is not fun and something they want to completely move away from.
  • 8.2 will continue to have new Azerite traits unique to Azshara's raid or to Mechagon that compliment the existing pool of traits.
  • Traits will be fully unlocked and players can choose their talents that best fits their play style.
  • The Heart of Azeroth will continue to use Azerite Power for a progression path on the Heart itself that consists of both passive and active traits.
  • Active abilities will be actual new spells that are placed on the hotbar and have a meaningful change to your combat rotation immediately.
  • Addressing the core system of Azerite Armor was something Tides of Vengeance couldn't do, and so the team added the 5th ring and more customization while they worked on the new system for the past couple months.

Future Expansion Feature Design

• The team learned a lot about the importance of player agency.
  • The Azerite System was designed to respond to the failings of Legion Artifacts in which the customization was very frontloaded.
  • They feel that having all traits unlocked on Legion weapons, not having any big choices, and being the same as every other person of your class was a missed opportunity to give players more choice.
  • One of their biggest mistakes in the BfA beta was waiting too long to get the Azerite Armor and traits fully stood up in the beta.
  • Going forward, the team is going to have a much higher priority on getting end game gear progression into the player's hand in the early stages of the alpha and beta tests.

Portal Removal

• The team has to find a middle ground between many different play styles.
  • Flying is a good example. They had one extreme of getting it early for gold, the other of not having it at all, and ultimately settled on a method that they feel is a nice middle ground.
  • The team wanted to consolidate portals into something that was more intuitive and made more sense within the world. They didn't want players having to place their Hearthstone in old expansion content because it was the most accessible area.
  • Feedback is what caused Caverns of Time to be added to the portal rooms in 8.2

Change and Player Reactions

• The team sometimes makes changes that seem less fun because they've been burned in the past and are worried about some consequence three years down the line.
  • A lot of the current gear progression systems were designed as expansion only features, and the team wants to be more open to implementing permanent RPG additions to the game and accepting that there will be some untidiness down the road as long as it's exciting for players.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"The team has learned a lot about the importance of player agency"

Who would have thought player agency would be important in a video game?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

That wording is ridiculous. Frontloaded customization is a good thing. Are they suggesting the .05% damage buff points should have been implemented as the first tier and you couldn't get to the meat and potatoes until after you spent 20 points? I don't even know what they are talking about there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
That wording is ridiculous. Frontloaded customization is a good thing. Are they suggesting the .05% damage buff points should have been implemented as the first tier and you couldn't get to the meat and potatoes until after you spent 20 points? I don't even know what they are talking about there.
The problem is it wouldn't feel good either way. Either you front load it and you don't give a shit about the last couple rings and have no incentive to acquire AP or you flip the order and then everybody gets pissed every time they get new gear they have to grind like crazy to get their DPS back so you wind up with people bagging upgrades for long periods of time. The system was just flawed and they have pretty much acknowledged that at least. I think had they just said this is your new version of set piece bonuses but this way everybody can get them and you can fine tune it for how you want to play and it would have gone over a lot better than what they had.

Khane

Well I meant that the original legion artifact setup was good outside of needing to grind for 3 different weapons independently. Class altering abilities were available early and a flat .5% damage and stamina increase was available to grind out at later levels. The 1 level increments weren't a lot by themselves but they were worthwhile and could actually be achieved at a reasonable rate if you had the stomach to grind them.

The new system has none of that. It takes longer to grind out the +5 ilvl ring than it did to get the full 9.5% extra damage and stamina with the old system. And you can't even make meaningful progress on it in the content you are likely grinding to use it for. It's all WQ and Islands if you want to grind, and who the fuck wants to do that?

The bigger problem with the original artifact setup was that they tuned the damn NH raid around having your weapon maxed for the spec you needed to play. And that has little to do with the artifact itself.

• 1Like

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The artifact weapon had zero customization. You either went down the correct path that had been theorycrafted or you did it wrong and gimped yourself. Front loaded customization is disingenuous schlock.

Khane

I would agree if it wasn't so easy to max that portion of the artifact in a timely fashion.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well I meant that the original legion artifact setup was good outside of needing to grind for 3 different weapons independently. Class altering abilities were available early and a flat .5% damage and stamina increase was available to grind out at later levels. The 1 level increments weren't a lot by themselves but they were worthwhile and could actually be achieved at a reasonable rate if you had the stomach to grind them.

The new system has none of that. It takes longer to grind out the +5 ilvl ring than it did to get the full 9.5% extra damage and stamina with the old system. And you can't even make meaningful progress on it in the content you are likely grinding to use it for. It's all WQ and Islands if you want to grind, and who the fuck wants to do that?

The bigger problem with the original artifact setup was that they tuned the damn NH raid around having your weapon maxed for the spec you needed to play. And that has little to do with the artifact itself.
I agree something like the legion setup but with something like the heart so you don't need to grind each spec just once per character would be about perfect. Also there should be some activated abilities. Even if its just one or two make you feel like you got something new which helps the leveling doldrums issue they are having.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I have been itching to play some game again, I am 1/2 tempted to log into this shit but if anyone has any recommendation of a better MMO I am open. I am going to go ham on classic but Blizzard so fucking dogshit slow in getting it together.

• 1Barf

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
lmao, classic ian crap

Well, we know the classes kinda feel like shit now, so here's a bunch of more stupid fucking buttons in your fucking dps rotation, because...Cata-combat aids forever! That'll finally get whoever's left to quit playing so I can retire without having to develop the human social skills to talk to my boss/coworkers about wanting to retire for the last 4 years. blerp beep boop.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imagine going to McDonalds to get a 4 piece McNuggets, you pay, get your nuggets and your happy and all that then some idiot comes and also gets 4 piece McNuggets but it McForges into a 12 piece McNuggets with a soda and some fries and you're standing there like a !@#$ing idiot with your dumb 4 piece McNuggets while he/she has more than you for some weird reason even tho you both payed the same price but you are less rewarded because...

WoW 2018 gearing

ditch tf, wf, sockets and tertiary thanks bai

813887.jpg
1491362272632.png
Did you vote for Bernie? Who gives a fuck if you buy a 4 piece and some other dude gets a free soda? You're a whiny little bitch.

• 1Repost
  • 1WTF
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did you vote for Bernie? Who gives a fuck if you buy a 4 piece and some other dude gets a free soda? You're a whiny little bitch.
Ok to put it into better perspective for you, it'd be like if you bought 1 dildo, but the guy next to you got 2 dildos for free.

• 1Worf

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

8 more nuggets, fries AND a free soda. You're glossing over it because you know he's right.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One thing from the articles that is both on point and something they should have realized a lot sooner is you have to get the end game systems tested EARLY in alpha/beta so you can iterate on them. The azerite stuff did not come together until the very end of beta and by that point there was no time to do any major overhauls redo's.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, every streamer testing in the beta was like "Can't talk about azerite, since the actual interesting azerite stuff isn't implemented yet."
Narrator: It never would be.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
8 more nuggets, fries AND a free soda. You're glossing over it because you know he's right.
I'm not because it's a fucking retarded cry baby stance to take. If I get what I ordered and some other dude got extra for free why should I be upset? I got exactly what was due to me. If so what other person gets something cool, good for them.

Honestly a bunch if people on this board are crying about shit that doesn't even effect them. There is like 1 guy left progressing in mythic at a reasonable rate. Fuck man, people here are still bitching about heroic dungeons and LFR queueing.

Sounds like a bunch of cry babies to me.

• 1Repost
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users