World of Warcraft: Current Year

Molten Core Raider
This is weird for me. I like WQs better, even if I have to fly there. Dailies have always felt shitty to me, sunwell, lich king tournament, etc. Trying to do these new ones and things like Anglers dailies just feels like hot garbage again. Plus in Najatar my wife and I get different dailies which is annoying as fuck.

I just wish they would spawn faster so I could burnout sooner.

You probably know, but just in case. Some of the dailies are "companion" based, the annoying shit creature you get when you blow the horn, pick the same one and you get the same dailies. My wife and I have been doing them this way since shittyzone released, I screwed up once and got a different one, thats when we found out.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It still amazes me that some of you think daily quests from an NPC and WQ's are different? I mean you can't be that fucking dense and stupid. The only difference between a blue daily quest and a WQ is accepting the quest and turning it in. WQ's do those both automatically. They are still fucking dogshit dailies, the fact that Blizzard has fooled you morons into thinking that they are different is kind of impressive in how impressionable you assholes really are.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
There's a huge difference? There's an end to daily quests. You do them and you're done. WQs repop every 4 hours. It's an actual endgoal.

Kiki

Log Wizard
They are very similar, just one with pickups and turnins. It is very much a mental thing. Maybe it feels more immersive. Maybe I just don't like turning things in. Who knows?

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
There's a huge difference? There's an end to daily quests. You do them and you're done. WQs repop every 4 hours. It's an actual endgoal.
No there isn’t.

What is the actual end goal? Gear, rep, azurite power. They are identical in their end goal rewards.

Molten Core Raider
Meh, I use the words interchangeably, although technically they arent, I feel the same way. I tend to log on to do my chores once a day (usually in the morning) so I just tend to call everything dailies.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

This shit is gonna be off the chain this time around.

24/7 broadcasts, this time not only Method. Some chinese guilds, eu guilds, and one NA guild (rip limit I guess?). Lot of really fantastic casters are going to be there as well. World first races are always great to watch but this one is going to be amazing. The only time we really got to see China pushing hard was Argus and it was interesting the complete different meta they were running, can't wait to see what they're doing vs EU this time around.

The future of the Race to World First and why Method is not working /w Red Bull
WHY METHOD IS NO LONGER WORKING WITH RED BULL

Method decided to stream the Race to World First (“RWF”) for the first time in Uldir. We reached out to Red Bull and brought them on to sponsor the event and provide a venue. The Uldir RWF event was a huge success, over 6 million unique devices tuned in and overall 10 million viewer hours were accumulated. In comparison, this is more than twice the viewer hours of the Overwatch League playoffs in 2018.

Red Bull saw the magnitude of the RWF and decided that they wanted to own and operate the event themselves. After Uldir, they started pushing us to have the next RWF streamed on Red Bull’s Twitch channel. We of course rejected that for many reasons, including:
- Most importantly, we see the long-term damage of handing off the 14-year-old community run RWF competition to a 3rd party corporation. Only the community and/or Blizzard themselves should have ownership over the RWF (more on that below).
- Method itself had no partnership nor received any direct compensation from Red Bull. The RWF live stream channel was the only way to interact with the viewers and to bring on sponsors. If we handed off the live stream to Red Bull then we wouldn’t be able to compensate the players that compete in the RWF.

The above was a key discussion point for months as we tried to find a solution (in hindsight we should have gone our separate ways at this point) however we were constantly given hope that a solution was coming and at the same time we did hold the Red Bull brand in high esteem and wanted to find a fair compromise. Finally, two weeks before the release of the Battle of Dazar’alor (“BoD”) raid dungeon Red Bull agreed to have the live stream remain on Method’s Twitch channel, furthermore Red Bull indicated that a long term partnership could happen after the completion of the BoD RWF. Unfortunately, the 2-week turnaround meant that we couldn’t take action on unlocking the event’s full potential such as Method’s plans to include other guilds and to generally develop the event into something even bigger. Despite this, the event was another huge success, even surpassing the viewership during Uldir.

Nothing materialized after BoD. Instead, Red Bull continued to pursue the route of trying to take ownership of the Race to World First events. It was very disappointing for us at Method as I think anyone who tuned into the last 2 RWF events at this point can appreciate how much value Red Bull has gained from their involvement, as The Esports Observer put it “The stream featured a constant presence from Red Bull, giving the brand access to millions of hours of viewership".

While dialogue remained open it was leaked to us that Red Bull reached out to Limit and Pieces to plan an event called “Red Bull’s World First” (
6UahKQF.jpg
). Red Bull had gone behind our back, and after seeing their presentation to Limit and Pieces it was apparent that they had taken a lot of our ideas and concepts for expanding the RWF.

Red Bull will therefore likely be putting on their own event for 8.2 The Eternal Palace with Limit and Pieces this time around, but Method will have no involvement with the event.

Method will host the RWF event at a new location and we are very excited to share all the details with you about this in an upcoming announcement.

THE FUTURE OF THE RACE TO WORLD FIRST

The Race to World First has existed for 14 years as a community run initiative without the direct involvement of Blizzard or 3rd party corporations. We reject the prospect of a 3rd party corporation taking this competition away from the community, now that the Race to World First live streams have shown that there is huge public interest and commercial viability.

The Race to World First is uniquely positioned in that it requires limited external involvement. The competition can be considered similar to the concept of ‘Games Done Quick (GDQ), it is a race through PvE content, effectively PvE esports. If we consider how differently a standard esports tournament is run (PvP esports), for example a CSGO tournament, it requires the tournament organizer to create and enforce a ruleset, create brackets, administer and referee each match and so on. The Race to World First is unique in that it requires none of that.

Allowing a 3rd party corporation to take ownership of the Race to World First is conflicting with the interests of the guilds who compete in the race. The goal of the 3rd party corporation is to promote their own brand as much as possible (less incentive to bring on other sponsors as it dilutes their brand exposure), run the event at the lowest cost possible, while also owning the run of show and all other aspects (branding, marketing, event sales etc) surrounding the show which severely limits the guilds oversight and return from the event. The guilds become powerless and restricted in terms of the event itself, the exposure they get, the revenue generated from the event, and other elements. All of this has a direct impact on how the long term raiding scene develops from here on out.

A notorious problem has been the sustainability of being a top raider. The majority of guilds that have achieved World Firsts are either disbanded or have stopped competing, including guilds such as Death and Taxes, Nihilum, Ensidia, Blood Legion and Paragon. Seeking to achieve a World First requires an immense amount of dedication but yields no tangible reward if you are successful. We live in a time of top esports competitions rewarding millions in prize money and six to seven figures annual pro player salaries. Most top raiders on the other end have to take vacation from their full time jobs to compete in the RWF.

The past 2 RWF events have achieved numbers similar to CSGO Major tournaments, or multiple weekends of the LCS, these events are massive and there value should be realised by the guilds involved.

Method is in the early stages of communicating with other top guilds on a collective agreement that will have the Race to World First remain in the hands of the community. An agreement that will prevent exploitation of the guilds. The agreement in broad strokes:
- The guilds elect a commissioner to act on their behalf. The commissioner will assume the role of executive director for RWF events.
- The commissioner and the guilds choose a production company and venue(s) which will be engaged on a contractor basis.
- The commissioner, on behalf of the guilds, will oversee the creation and execution of a Race to World First broadcast, to ensure the event reflects the competitive nature of the race and the passion of the raid guilds.
- Sponsorships for the RWF events will be brought in by the guilds and external agents. All revenue will be distributed in a fair manner which will be agreed upon between the guilds.
- Blizzard, as creator and IP owner of World of Warcraft, will hopefully continue to provide support to what has always made World of Warcraft special, its community. We would be keen to work directly with Blizzard with the above aforementioned points in mind.

This agreement ensures that; 1) The Race to World First will be the best it can be, because it is in the hands of the guilds and their raiders, who have passion and dedication to this competition. 2) The guilds and raiders are not taken advantage of by external for-profit companies which have no interest in the RWF other than its commercial exploitation. 3) The long term sustainability of the raiding scene is secured.

METHOD'S ROLE IN THE RWF

Method was created 14 years ago, in 2005, and since then we have always been a competitor in the Race to World First, some of you might remember some of our first significant boss kills such as Lady Vashj world 2nd (“world first legit”) and Kil’Jaeden world 2nd in The Burning Crusade. If we look back at the last few expansions in particular, going back to Mists of Pandaria in 2012, Method has been world first on 12 of the 16 significant end bosses. Over time Method has increased its efforts to develop the RWF beyond competing in it in the form of a 24/7 live report (Mythic Crucible of Storms Raid Progress Race Coverage - Method) and a full raid history compilation (Vanilla Raid History of World First Kills - World of Warcraft - Method) with the goal to preserve RWF achievements. However Method’s most impactful action was the live streaming of world first progression through Uldir in 2018 that brought back excitement to the RWF at a time where many were skeptical about the future of hardcore raiding. Given Method’s position in the raiding community, and our passion for the RWF, we want to ensure in anyway we can the long term sustainability of the RWF.

xzi

Mouthbreather
No there isn’t.

What is the actual end goal? Gear, rep, azurite power. They are identical in their end goal rewards.

The end goal is that I do them and then I'm done with them. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Gotta love the drama before the instance even opens. Sounds like Limit and Pieces are wanting to get paid and Method wants to be the sole owners of everything WoW related. No surprise they were told to eat a dick.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
You're done with them once you hit the rep caps you give a shit about and get all the gear upgrades you can.

You're arbitrarily done with them during different points in the day/week due to gating, but you're not done done until you finish the meta completes.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
True confession time. I started playing again, rolled on a west coast server so my Hughes net might not suck as much. Hit 120 in 2 days, currently at 391ilvl 2 weeks in. Nazjatar is aids, mechagon is herpes. I'm only still playing to unlock dark irons, then done. I've had multiple randos ask me how my dk is doing so much damage in groups, nfc I'm still playing him based on what I did in legion but with an added shit connection (avg 1k both down and up).
Humblebrag over

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
True confession time. I started playing again, rolled on a west coast server so my Hughes net might not suck as much. Hit 120 in 2 days, currently at 391ilvl 2 weeks in. Nazjatar is aids, mechagon is herpes. I'm only still playing to unlock dark irons, then done. I've had multiple randos ask me how my dk is doing so much damage in groups, nfc I'm still playing him based on what I did in legion but with an added shit connection (avg 1k both down and up).
Humblebrag over

Out of all the allied races so far I think the Dark Irons are the coolest in terms of looks and lore. The sad part is if I wanted to unlock them I would need to level and play an alliance character and grind out all the rep of which would take countless hours or I could just faction transfer for $30 and instant unlock all 4 of the allied races as well as a slew of other achievements. It really does feel shitty, and the sad part is like you many people grind out for the thing they actually want to play only to fucking quit once they get there because of how many hoops they had to jump through.

Out of everything the allied races should be one of the few available with the expansion not some grindy bullshit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Wholly agreed, I wound up starting a new account since I had a few ce codes, and I prefer alliance so it hasn't been too bad getting there (about 3k 7th legion faction to go).

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Further confession time. I was in one of the top 3 guilds NA pre-aq and top 5 thru BC or so. The only way I got through raid nights was through massive amounts of alcohol. The name Eluned still gives me fucking nightmares.
Thus, I cant even imagine current bleeding edge raiding. I just figure ritalin and meth go a long way.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Jokes aside I find it so strange to see that raiding in a MMO as mainstream as World of Warcraft has developed in to a thing that is just not for me at all. So are the first few weeks of Mythic just the e-sports tier now?
Yes. There allegedly are people that watch arenas I guess , but the world first race is the esport

What turns you off? That you can't frostbolt and stand still? Is it too much?

To.me it sounds like a FFXIV raid boss