World of Warcraft: Current Year

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So what's everyone's thoughts about what's been coming out about Shadowlands? Cautiously optimistic? Shit? Eh? Feel like there is a cautiously optimistic aura?

xzi

Mouthbreather
Vastly more optimistic than I was for BFA.

I mean, we got more information the first day of alpha than we did the entire beta phase of BFA. They're certainly saying all the right things, and from the so far rather limited gameplay I've seen, the classes that I play mostly anyways, have all felt like they've been improved upon themselves instead of you know.. fucking losing power and abilities as you level.

Leveling experience seems to be far better than what it is or has been in the past as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So what's everyone's thoughts about what's been coming out about Shadowlands? Cautiously optimistic? Shit? Eh? Feel like there is a cautiously optimistic aura?

After BFA I would wait to see everything in place. Right now retard fanboys are going apeshit from new shiny and artwork which has always been good. Need to actually see the meat and potatoes of this rancid shit pile instead of judging it by the shiny paint job on top.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Everything looks beautiful and Torghast tower looks very interesting but BFA also looked beautiful and with both islands and warfronts out there, I'm extremely
cautious about the whole thing. Seeing some nice model or neat texture is one thing, making every system works is something else. Covenants look interesting only if there's some kind of flexibility allowed between them.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Have a BFA question: Haven't really played since Legion and since I bought BFA anyway for some reason I want to go back and check this expac out (casually) before the next one completely obsoletes it. Might do this next month, dunno. My question is, if I want to see everything BFA has to offer, do I have to level both Alliance and Horde characters from 110 to 120 (aka do they have different zones/paths, which I think I read) or can I get away with only leveling one character and still see most of the content? If they have different zones and it's something like WoD where it's really just one zone that's different in their path, I can deal with that. Would rather not go 110-120 twice though given what I've heard about the expac, but I do want to see all of the zones/raids.

Also, roughly how many hours does 110-120 take? Playing casually, don't have any uber gear, don't particularly care so I probably won't be rushing. My interest level is more of a "play this while catching up on the last few seasons of Walking Dead".

Rime

<Donor>
Horde/Alliance each have three different quest zones, each with their own storyline. You do get sent to the other side as each faction to set up a foothold, but you barely touch on the storylines in that zone.

Horde Nazmir storyline was probably the best, with Volduun being the weakest.

Alliance Drustvar was hands down the best storyline/questing experience in the expansion, while Stormsong Valley was the worst in the expansion.

Either side has gaping holes in the storyline from each point of view. Such as...
did you know that the Horde had vampires on their side, going around eating people? Or that we burnt down a bunch of Alliance villages? No? According to the Alliance questing in BfA, we sure did.

The storyline is a terrible, disjointed mess when taken as a whole.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought the alliance story was much better than the horde one. It is certainly not a masterpiece that's going to win the Nobel prize of writing but it's not a bad story.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Have a BFA question: Haven't really played since Legion and since I bought BFA anyway for some reason I want to go back and check this expac out (casually) before the next one completely obsoletes it. Might do this next month, dunno. My question is, if I want to see everything BFA has to offer, do I have to level both Alliance and Horde characters from 110 to 120 (aka do they have different zones/paths, which I think I read) or can I get away with only leveling one character and still see most of the content? If they have different zones and it's something like WoD where it's really just one zone that's different in their path, I can deal with that. Would rather not go 110-120 twice though given what I've heard about the expac, but I do want to see all of the zones/raids.

Also, roughly how many hours does 110-120 take? Playing casually, don't have any uber gear, don't particularly care so I probably won't be rushing. My interest level is more of a "play this while catching up on the last few seasons of Walking Dead".

Casually, you'll enjoy the game. There is absolutely no reason to rush the current expansion. You won't miss out on anything at this point because we arent getting any new content till pre-shadowlands content drops. That'll be a while, in other words. If you're just worried about seeing the game, you'll see it all. The time it takes to level from 110-120 is drastically shorter right at this moment because they are doing 100% exp. Heirlooms can be buffed up to 120 as well. Content has also seen a round of exp buffs to get you through the content all that much quicker. You'll get to your 440's within a week or so. Then, just piddle around with working on getting your flying chiev done and do the things that you want to do. LFR has fully opened up on all raids, so you'll see them all at 430 item level. Your neck will get 80 around the same time you get 440 item level, so you'll see all of that story too.

Again, as long as you're playing casually and have no desire to actually get down into the nitty gritty of the game - none of the ultra glaring problems will arise. But if you step over that line, you'll start to see just how disconnected the design team is from the game.

Daidraco

Oh, and dont try to get upgrades for your cloak before your item level is around 430 either. You'll get stomped by the content and waste your opportunity. As soon as Wrathion starts making you go into a portal, push the brakes.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone play WoW for the lore after Wrath? Shit's become so disjointed and full of holes nothing stands up any more. Sure, there are some fun stand alone quests and series, such as the B-team quest line in Redridge, but they are few and far between now.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I watched Preach's alpha class quick looks, and from the looks of it they are adressing a lot of pain points with elemental and enhancement shamans. Windfury totem seems to make a comeback, of all things.

Also, Ion admitted they didn't listen to BfA feedback, especially on Azerite gear/systems because their internal version was ahead of the public testing, so they outright discarded anything as "not applicable." We have to see if they really mean it or if it's going to be a "Gentlemen, I bring you more corn!" situation.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Blizzard are looking at alt friendliness FWIW, they might end up in a situation like Darkest Dungeon, where one puts time and effort to level up a shared resource space and there is a roster of characters to play with. They have been talking about this for a long time, and requires changes to the WoW codebase, but post-Legion almost every active player has alts

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh, and dont try to get upgrades for your cloak before your item level is around 430 either. You'll get stomped by the content and waste your opportunity. As soon as Wrathion starts making you go into a portal, push the brakes.
You can do the first four upgrades but you have to beeline the boss and do nothing else. After that you need to gear up.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Does anyone play WoW for the lore after Wrath? Shit's become so disjointed and full of holes nothing stands up any more. Sure, there are some fun stand alone quests and series, such as the B-team quest line in Redridge, but they are few and far between now.

I wouldn't say I play it for the lore, but I do pay attention to all the lore. A lot of people don't read any of the quest texts at all and then go and say things don't make sense because a character isn't explicitly talking to you in an audio clip.

But BFA is probably the worst offender for abandoned plotlines that don't make sense or only make sense if you play the other faction. (Like the entirety of Uldir, and alliance not having a reason for being there).

Merrith

Honestly what finally got me to come back to the game (since just casually checking out leveling in Cata just to see the new zones) in Legion and to come back for start of BFA wa curiosity with where they went with all the stories and all the zones/lore I missed in between. That also means that once I've caught up on it, though, not as much holding me. End of Legion was fun as hell to play and raid in. BFA, not so much. I would bet I check out Shadowlands at some point to play through zones/story, but it might not be at release after BFA.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
but it's not a bad story.
This is some bad bait.
Also, Ion admitted they didn't listen to BfA feedback, especially on Azerite gear/systems because their internal version was ahead of the public testing, so they outright discarded anything as "not applicable."
Bullshit. No one is retarded enough to say "oh hey guys we had no idea your complaints where valid because we are playing an entirely different game than you!". Its merely an excuse for just ignoring their customers.

It would be nice to play something other than a paladin. But Im not gonna spent 3-4 hours doing the cloak quest, then spend hours farming visions, then spend hours farming up the necklace/essences, for every alt. It is simply a retarded mechanic and its mind boggling a company that is supposedly all about hours of engagement has completely stifled incentive to play more than 1 character.

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Lessons were learned we will do better next time we pinky promise just buy the next expansion and we’ll make it all better.

They have said that every expansion since Cata.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This is some bad bait.

Bullshit. No one is retarded enough to say "oh hey guys we had no idea your complaints where valid because we are playing an entirely different game than you!". Its merely an excuse for just ignoring their customers.

Haha, the funny thing is his excuse of having a completely different build internally than what was being tested is even worse than straight up ignoring feedback. I mean christ almighty... what is the point of having alpha or beta TESTS (test being the operative word) if the test isn't even of the same game. L O L. That is an even higher level of incompetence than anything else we've seen from them to date.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Lessons were learned we will do better next time we pinky promise just buy the next expansion and we’ll make it all better.

They have said that every expansion since Cata.

Unlike every expansion since cata, they're actually showing lessons learned before the game launches. So far at least. We'll see when it gets closer how it actually unfolds lol