World of Warcraft: Current Year

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They'll just label prepatch "release" and we'll wait 6 months for the .1 patch to add an end-game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
To be clear, they _could_ release the next expansion this year, but given how all previous releases have had six months of beta, it will be an impressive for even Blizzard level of clusterfuck.

I expect they will have a 'last minute' delay but still get it out the door before March 31st, but it'll be a mess.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
To be clear, they _could_ release the next expansion this year, but given how all previous releases have had six months of beta, it will be an impressive for even Blizzard level of clusterfuck.

I expect they will have a 'last minute' delay but still get it out the door before March 31st, but it'll be a mess.
I think they abandoned SL a while ago and will have DF out by Thanksgiving, but it will be light on content in the first season. They specifically aren't adding any extensive borrowed power systems which should avoid lengthy testing and tuning.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think they abandoned SL a while ago and will have DF out by Thanksgiving, but it will be light on content in the first season. They specifically aren't adding any extensive borrowed power systems which should avoid lengthy testing and tuning.
I had assumed they were doing this since theyve been dropping hints with cash shop shit etc. starting over a year ago, now. Im sure a lot of people are going to come back this expansion, even if its just enjoy playing a shitty game with friends. If they want to keep people past a month or two, though, they need to knock it out of the park and not ship with light content.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Given their track record at this point I can't imagine that many people are going to come back for a 20 year old game that just doesn't have any of the charm or appeal it used to have.

I am sure some will come back and level up to the new max and run a couple of dungeons but the raiding design leaves too much to he desired these days along with the whatever time gated progress system it's sure to have.

I wish the idea of an ever changing persistent world to explore would come back, since that was the inspiration for EQ worlds, hell the ideas that were pitched with EQ next such as certain events triggering other events making each server different and its own world was such a cool concept even if they couldn't pull it off. I wish someone else had the balls to try something in that vein.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Those typically run 6-9 months; even if the F&F Alpha client came out tomorrow, they'd barely get 6 months of testing to meet a late-December 2022 release window.
Let's be honest here, the beta's were just used for data collection and promotion, and none of the player feedback ever made it to the launch release. I can see them shortening that beta period.

On the other hand: They need to knock this out of the park, or people will be pissed that they "rushed things" again. Also, they recently added staff members, and I can't see those new hires being up to speed already.

They could "soft-launch" their 10.x series in December, and then gradually add content in a GW2 "living world" style system with battle passes for each content patch and "season". This would be the most profitable way for them to monetize their remaining playerbase, and at the same time the best way to piss off a lot of players.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Let's be honest here, the beta's were just used for data collection and promotion, and none of the player feedback ever made it to the launch release. I can see them shortening that beta period.

We told them over and over in SL beta what all of the problems were (being locked to a Covenant, Covenant Energy, etc) and they dug their heels in and ignored it. I'm sure they were well aware of the issues but their MO these days is to release broken shit and then roll out the "fixes" later on as a QOL improvement.

Kiki

Log Wizard
They were aware of the issues, they even built the fixes in preparation. They deployed them way after no one gave a fuck months later.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We told them over and over in SL beta what all of the problems were (being locked to a Covenant, Covenant Energy, etc) and they dug their heels in and ignored it. I'm sure they were well aware of the issues but their MO these days is to release broken shit and then roll out the "fixes" later on as a QOL improvement.
Which is why my MO is play the first month and last month of the expac. Fuck em

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chapell

Trakanon Raider

Saddam.png

• 1Like

Daidraco

I dont understand why they would purchase that studio. The games are not popular enough to warrant purchasing them, especially since the most popular (for them) is shutting down in 2023. If it was employees, they could have just sniped the ones they wanted? Does the studio have some kind of in house engine that they could want or something? Rights to a franchise they may be developing something for?

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
If it was employees, they could have just sniped the ones they wanted? Does the studio have some kind of in house engine that they could want or something?
This assumes you are a publisher/studio with a proven track record in recent times, which brings them ability to attract talent. With each misstep, each scandal, and each fucked up release Blizzard has damaged their reputation in the industry. It may be now detrimental to be associated with Blizzard in your resume.

Also, make no mistake: From the 100 employees the most talented are probably going to quit on the spot and go somewhere else. Blizzard on the other hand is probably that desperate for grunt workers to "implement the vision their leadership has". If the rumors are to be believed, WoW development culture is very top-driven, and the department leads plan an expansion plus features and then bark down orders to their worker bees.

They haven't been listening to player feedback for years now, what makes you think they would listen to the feedback from their own workers in the trenches? Someone in that company must've said that the whole "meaningful choice" Covenant thing is a stupid idea? That tying player power to Torghast grind is just another bar to fill for each character?

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 419549
Spellbreak was incredibly innovative. Probably too innovative for most mouthbreathers playing video games these days. This is probably more to boost Overwatch development than WoW but I could see it helping WoW as well. Blizzard needs devs willing to take risks on new ideas.

It's a sad state of gaming when a BR game with an 86% rating on Steam is shutting down.

• 1Like

Araxen

Spellbreak was incredibly innovative. Probably too innovative for most mouthbreathers playing video games these days. This is probably more to boost Overwatch development than WoW but I could see it helping WoW as well. Blizzard needs devs willing to take risks on new ideas.

It's a sad state of gaming when a BR game with an 86% rating on Steam is shutting down.

Apparently they went exclusive to the Epic store first before hitting Steam. BR's have a finite window to catch on. They killed themselves.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users