World of Warcraft: Current Year

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nope, world bosses are supposed to be accessible from the start. The daily Challenge Mode reward contains a 640 spec appropriate armor piece. Randomized secondaries, but there is a crafted item that rerolls secondary stats on items.
I wish Blizzard would post concrete info on when raids will unlock, as well as whether or not world bosses are delayed too. I'd like to see an official source on how it's going to work but I can't find anything except secondhand info from mmo-c and other forums.

I think the daily challenge mode reward is just a chance at a RF-level item. My money is on 90+% of them containing gold just like the caches in MoP. And that crafted item that rerolls secondary mods only works on crafted gear.

The point though is that the only source of pre-raid 640+ trinkets seem to be the DMF trinkets. Of course the first DMF post-launch is the Sunday after normal/heroic Highmaul goes live.
This is a good point though. DMF doesn't actually open until early AM on Monday, so that's too late for people who want to be as prepared as they can be for their first shot at the raid. Unless you get lucky from other sources I still say weapon, shoulders, chest, and cloak is the way to go. Realistically, whatever you choose to get from crafting is going to be a crapshoot though. If you're lucky, shit will drop for the slots you don't craft; if you're me, nothing BUT those slots will drop for a month.

And speaking of TSM, did the market for xmogs crash or something? I used to make good money selling the plate/mail 'bikini' sets, swords that look like katanas, etc. but practically nothing is selling now. I can't even move the Ethereum Nexus-Reaver I brought over to Stormrage (one of the highest pop servers in the game) at anything close to the Undermine/WoWuction price.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I just got the heirloom sword off Garrosh on my druid. What's the deal with this? It was on the not-guaranteed chance after having killed him before, but I only had the staff already. I didn't particularly need the mace or off-hand, but it would be nice to have them, and it's really weird that it gave me an item my class can't equip at all when I don't have all the usable ones. I would be super pissed if I didn't already have the one I wanted.
Guarnateed heirloom, or the first heirloom you ever get-is catered towards your spec. Anything after that is pulled from the entire pool of heirlooms he can drop.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Even if 90% of the CM boxes are gold, I'm still doing it every day until raid unlocks. Same with Heroic Mode dungeons for chances at Warforged/Gems/Movespeed. The random dude who shows up to the first scheduled raid wearing 75% last-zone quest rewards has all of my hate.

Especially when he argues that loot drops are bigger upgrades for him and thus he deserves them more...

Vorph

Sure, I'm just saying don't plan around having anything before the raid that isn't crafted, apexis, or heroic drop. Plus the MC helmet, of course.

I'm planning to main Blood, so I don't have much choice but to do everything I can before the raid opens.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am sure eventually they are going back to the lich king story line because of where it leaves off after you beat arthas. There always has to be a lich king and currently that is bolvar and some tormented flamy guy who is now the lich king clearly is never(always) going to turn evil and world destroying and conveniently gives them an "alliance" bad guy.

Vitality

HUSTLE
@vorph - xmog market prices are largely determined on popularity of the game. The markets are getting pooped on due to there being more stock than demand. If my immediate group of friends and this forum are any sort of sample size it's safe to assume most people are holding their gold for WoD. Including xmog sets due to garrison xmogs etc being unpredictable.

I've got most of my capital tied up in tradeskill "kit" required mats like moss agate/enchanting mats/herbs etc.

Taking advantage of peoples mindset pre-xpack. blah blah.

Xmogs literally net me next to nothing unless I undercut by 60% or some shit at this point. Sacrificing margin in the process.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I am sure eventually they are going back to the lich king story line because of where it leaves off after you beat arthas. There always has to be a lich king and currently that is bolvar and some tormented flamy guy who is now the lich king clearly is never(always) going to turn evil and world destroying and conveniently gives them an "alliance" bad guy.
I can't wait to fight flaming skeletons.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
I wish Blizzard would post concrete info on when raids will unlock, as well as whether or not world bosses are delayed too. I'd like to see an official source on how it's going to work but I can't find anything except secondhand info from mmo-c and other forums.

I think the daily challenge mode reward is just a chance at a RF-level item. My money is on 90+% of them containing gold just like the caches in MoP. And that crafted item that rerolls secondary mods only works on crafted gear.

This is a good point though. DMF doesn't actually open until early AM on Monday, so that's too late for people who want to be as prepared as they can be for their first shot at the raid. Unless you get lucky from other sources I still say weapon, shoulders, chest, and cloak is the way to go. Realistically, whatever you choose to get from crafting is going to be a crapshoot though. If you're lucky, shit will drop for the slots you don't craft; if you're me, nothing BUT those slots will drop for a month.

And speaking of TSM, did the market for xmogs crash or something? I used to make good money selling the plate/mail 'bikini' sets, swords that look like katanas, etc. but practically nothing is selling now. I can't even move the Ethereum Nexus-Reaver I brought over to Stormrage (one of the highest pop servers in the game) at anything close to the Undermine/WoWuction price.
There has been concrete info...its on wowhead.

Also, dont forget about the 640 epic ring from Brawler's guild. Sure it costs 16k, but its super easy and fast to get so...and 16k is not a lot of gold these days to most raiders.

And DMF opens on Sundays, not Mondays.

Eggplant_sl

shitlord
Are ore/herb nodes per player or are they shared for all players? Seems like the nodes on pre-MOP zones are non-existent due to competition, but in MOP nodes are everywhere and available.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Are ore/herb nodes per player or are they shared for all players? Seems like the nodes on pre-MOP zones are non-existent due to competition, but in MOP nodes are everywhere and available.
They are shared. The Pre-MOP zones are strip mined because of cross-realm players. MOP zones only have players from your realm in them (unless they changed this recently).

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
some tormented flamy guy who is now the lich king clearly is never(always) going to turn evil and world destroying and conveniently gives them an "alliance" bad guy.
Actually, it would be fun to be called by said Lich King for help, and we then spend the entire expansion fighting alongside hordes of undead presumably against the Legion (that's the only bad guys I see him getting out of that seat to fight against). Capital city is now the Citadel, with a Forsaken ghetto (because the Forsaken aren't really comfortable getting around) they don't leave, and we go "cleanse" the corrupted Northrend, killing most of everything. And leaving outposts (phased) manned by minions of the LK since we don't have the forces to hold them.

Final showdown at end of tier 3 is Kil'jaeden ripping out the LK helmet ("I made that! What do you think you would be doing?") and removing the last reason for Bolvar to stay "alive". We kick him back, and he flees and runs smack into his boss who's coming ("my, you've been busy while I was away. We need to... renew... your loyalty").

Could work. After the Eye of Azshara, of course.

Vorph

There has been concrete info...its on wowhead.
I see in their guide that they suggest using rolls on world bosses before December, but I wanted to find an actual blue post that says that the world bosses will be in from day 1.

Also, dont forget about the 640 epic ring from Brawler's guild. Sure it costs 16k, but its super easy and fast to get so...and 16k is not a lot of gold these days to most raiders.
It's only 630 and has 10-16 less secondary stat points than heroic rings.

And DMF opens on Sundays, not Mondays.
Weird, I checked Sunday and it still looked like it was being built. Might have been a DST thing. Either way, it's too late in the week for me (and DMF trinkets still suck!).

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Vitality, I don't know what server you are on but I'm about to get all up in someone's Moss Agate turf. You best watch yourself.

DavivMcD

Peasant
I'll be selling overpriced ore and herbs this launch as I always do, but I don't think it will ever be as good as Cata. I remember selling obsidium ore for 3200 a stack, and whatever the herbs were for 2k. I made over 150k that first week or two, and have been pretty much coasting on it since. Plus the 200k I made controlling the primordial saronite market for all of 3 days in WotLK. In contrast I don't remember seeing any Pandaria commodities that could yield such a ridiculous profit in such short a time.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
xmog market prices are largely determined on popularity of the game.
X-mog prices are largely determined by demand.

There's been a FUCKLOAD of people playing that haven't had anything to do bar running Siege, over and over again. Mogging wasn't a big deal in my guild at the start of Throne, but by the time Siege was out for 6 months interest started to pick up, and a year later, most people had at least one or two sets for most of their alts. Considering that Siege went on for so freaking long, I'm not surprised that everyone has everything that they wanted. Or, just dont' give a fuck until new models come out.

Sold a cloth hat I picked up from Nef for 2k, 3 weeks ago, can't sell the Hanzo sword I've had for about a year.

Vorph

Anyone else leveling characters in 6.0 find that 60-80 is just fucking soulcrushing? I've got all the heirlooms except the ring and it still feels like it's taking 2-3x as long as 1-60 did. CRZ zones aren't just "not empty," they are crowded as shit and there are constant bottlenecks every time you reach one of the faggot quests to kill a single mob that has a 5+ minute respawn timer. I'm convinced that CRZ is the worst idea anyone at Blizzard has ever had.

Only thing keeping me going at this point is that I have 409/425 weapons for 80-85 and the 471 archaeology weapon for 85-90 and I know I can finish off the last ten levels in just a few hours.

On that note, if I decide to be stupid enough to do it all again this weekend, anyone have thoughts on whether ele or enh would be faster for getting a shaman from 60-85? I'm leaning towards ele even though I have heirlooms for either, because there aren't any cheater BoAs to do 85-90 with as enhance. Pretty dumb that there's only a pair of daggers and a axe/mace combo that is +strength. Plus, at 90 I will stick with resto/ele.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else leveling characters in 6.0 find that 60-80 is just fucking soulcrushing? I've got all the heirlooms except the ring and it still feels like it's taking 2-3x as long as 1-60 did. CRZ zones aren't just "not empty," they are crowded as shit and there are constant bottlenecks every time you reach one of the faggot quests to kill a single mob that has a 5+ minute respawn timer. I'm convinced that CRZ is the worst idea anyone at Blizzard has ever had.

Only thing keeping me going at this point is that I have 409/425 weapons for 80-85 and the 471 archaeology weapon for 85-90 and I know I can finish off the last ten levels in just a few hours.

On that note, if I decide to be stupid enough to do it all again this weekend, anyone have thoughts on whether ele or enh would be faster for getting a shaman from 60-85? I'm leaning towards ele even though I have heirlooms for either, because there aren't any cheater BoAs to do 85-90 with as enhance. Pretty dumb that there's only a pair of daggers and a axe/mace combo that is +strength. Plus, at 90 I will stick with resto/ele.
Search AH for Fist of Fate. http://www.wowhead.com/item=87509/fist-of-fate

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
So is engineering worth it for the expansion? I have mining eng on my warrior main, would it be better to just pick up herbalism? and sell the extras until the herb market dies down a bit?

Vitality

HUSTLE
I hear engineer is worse off than JC come WoD as far as marketability, really depends on what you want from engineering. Seems like anything worth selling can be made from the engi garrison building (+work orders) by anyone who grabs that building so there's that.

Random decent article related to WoD professions and gold making

Which Professions Will Make Gold in WoD?

This is a question that has been asked over and over again and pounded to death on the forums and on reddit recently as people get ready for the Launch of WoD. Now it is honestly impossible to know for sure what the market will do but I will harness the power of the tea leaves and give it a shot.

This isn't going to be an article about the Garrisons. I will make a post about each profession and Garrison at a later date. For now I just want to go over the professions that I BELIEVE will be profitable at launch and explain my reasons behind that belief.

Now I want to first tackle an issue that I have seen many people bring up and that is that old mats won't sell in WoD because of the catchup mechanic. I don't believe this is true and there are two reasons for this.

The average person HATES farming! If people didn't hate farming these mats would have never been so easy to sell. But the truth is people don't like to do it and if given the chance to skip it for a small amount of gold they are going to take that route every time. I have watched the market on my server for cloth plummet over the last few weeks as people get scared their mats will be worth nothing. Just to watch it climb right back up to normal again. Remember, people always look for the fastest way and that way is buying mats. It always will be.
Bags will still be a source of income so there will always be a market for cloth.

Ok continuing to WoD professions I will begin by what I think will be the most profitable out of the Gate.

DISCLAIMER: These are only opinions based on what I have read about each profession and how I BELIEVE they will translate into gold making in the coming weeks of the expansion after launch!

Inscription (8/10)

Inscription is in love with early expansions and it won't change this time. New Glyphs and new trinkets mean a stream of income that scribes will love. Even with the Garrisons and the ability for others to create cards it really isn't going to affect a scribe because, like I said, people want the fastest way possible. The card market may be a bit more competitive but it's still the only place to get glyphs and they are the only ones that can make the items to upgrade weapons and trinkets. That's a money maker.

Enchanting (10/10)

Temporal Crystals are the only Top Quality WoD mat that is NOT BoP and enchanters are the only ones that can make them so expect this to be a gold mine. The cooldowns are long so if you are big into making gold from professions you may consider running more than one (maybe even more than two) enchanter toons. Aside from that enchanters are the only ones that can do the weapon enchants as well.

Blacksmithing (8/10)

Soul of the Forge, this little guy can only be made by Blacksmiths and he isn't cheap but he probably isn't the best source of income for this profession. Blacksmiths are the only ones that can provide the items to upgrade this armor. With the ability to upgrade crafted armor to an iLevel just slightly under Heroic raiding gear this profession IN MY OPINION has a chance at being fairly viable. People are going to want to raid as fast as possible and gear up as fast as possible. You have the ability to provide items to make that happen quicker and they won't be cheap. I have seen a lot of people complaining that these are worthless pieces of gear but I don't believe that will be true in the early days of the expansion. Also WEAPONS?! Weapons are always sought after and blacksmiths get to make those wonderful items as well. Enough Said.

Alchemy (10/10)

Potions! Potions! and more, well, Potions! Greater Flasks can only be made by Alchemists and well there is still a thing called raiding in WoD and that requires Flasks. The fact that you can't make the old real money making item might dissuade people from picking this up in the garrison if they aren't alchemists. This profession in my opinion should be the most stable. However, with raiding not beginning with the expansion release, it will not be the best profession for you if you want a quick fix on gold at launch.

Jewelcrafting (5/10)

While providing a crafter slot for Rings and Necks I think that the lack of gem slots in WoD is going to be an issue for jewelcrafters. Similar to Alchemy JC's will be the only ones making the high quality gems but with the lack of daily need of these games I just don't think Jewelcrafting has the longevity that the other professions of its kind have. The rings and neck slot items may provide a bit of gold for a little bit but I think the Blacksmith will have a stranglehold on the crafted item market for the expansion due to the options available.

Tailoring (9/10)

Welcome to Blacksmith Plus! Tailoring provides all of the advantages that blacksmith has but replaces the pet with a mount (although I'm not too excited for the mount I prefer the pet) and adds bags. Bags have sold in every expansion to date and will no doubt continue. Just like the rest of the professions you must have the profession to make the upgrades for the gear. Tailors are the only ones that can make the mount and the bags as well making tailoring a great way to make gold in WoD.

Engineering (2/10)

Oh Engineering. Unfortunately the only positive I can say for engineering is that if you have engineering you get access to the helms? Honestly I find this to be a very bad profession in WoD to make gold from because non engineers can make basically everything that will sell. Maybe the blingtron 5000 and Wormhole Centrifuge will be niche items on the AH sometimes but for the most part this isn't going to be an option for those trying to make gold.

Leatherworking (3/10)

Leatherworking is basically the red-headed step child of tailoring (with a cooler mount). The cloak upgrades probably won't be too profitable so you'll be focusing on bags to make gold. Once again this is all on personal opinion but I don't see it being a valuable item during WoD. This isn't a profession I could recommend for making gold at this moment.

Once again these are just my thoughts on how I think it will turn out and this is how I am personally approaching this expansion.

In response to a question I receive about Gathering:

I didn't touch on gathering professions in this article because I think they are all pretty much even. I'd rate them all around 5 for gold making and before watching the market for mats it would be too hard for me to give good advice so I left them out. I believe as always gathering will serve a purpose and there is gold to be made but at the current time I don't feel comfortable making a conclusion on them.