World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
That's the same kind of desperation for cash that e.g. Daybreak has with their latest expansion. Premium is $139.99, while top tier is $249.99, which includes a giftable expansion unlock for a second account.

I have thought what it would take to try the new expansion, and what would be absolute dealbreakers. Then Mike/Preach told the story that he and his buddies wanted to play with 9.2 for the new raid, when a friend still playing informed them on Discord: "9.2 is great, now you only need to do 15 minutes of dailies"--and instantly half the group said "fuck it, I'm not coming back".

That is also a dealbreaker for me: Any dailies involving player power or any kind of unlocks can fuck right off. Also, mission tables: If I see another mission table I'm out.

Dailies are one of the worst things that ever happened to gaming. They are designed to condition you to log in daily to try and create an addiction loop. Instead of doing what you might feel like or what you find fun you have to do a job/chore this isn't just WoW but every game that has them. There is so much effort in gaming to break you psychologically to form habits and condition you to turn players into payers.

Simple greed ruins these industries, shame our stupid monkey brains fall victim to these algorithms, once that illusion shatters though you lose that player for life. As they realize you aren't providing entertainment you are simply wasting their time by design.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
That's the same kind of desperation for cash that e.g. Daybreak has with their latest expansion. Premium is $139.99, while top tier is $249.99, which includes a giftable expansion unlock for a second account.

I have thought what it would take to try the new expansion, and what would be absolute dealbreakers. Then Mike/Preach told the story that he and his buddies wanted to play with 9.2 for the new raid, when a friend still playing informed them on Discord: "9.2 is great, now you only need to do 15 minutes of dailies"--and instantly half the group said "fuck it, I'm not coming back".

That is also a dealbreaker for me: Any dailies involving player power or any kind of unlocks can fuck right off. Also, mission tables: If I see another mission table I'm out.
I remember when they were hyping the azshara raid/zone. One of their selling points was "two new factions! [that you have to rep-grind via dailies]"

Giant clown show over there.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

They better stick to their guns on that. Mission table, and no mandatory dailies to maintain cash outflow just to repair armor.

Dailies to repair armor is the most unfun mechanic probably out of any MMO I've played. They can think of a new system for M+/ Mraids that mitigates repair costs.

I will not return to WoW at any point if DAILIES = REPAIR ARMOR is still a thing for players who like to do all the high end content. Add potion/flask costs onto this. Lower the cost of the flasks. Completely overload the materials so nobody can gouge them.

Dailies aren't going away for end game play until flask/potions and repairs are addressed.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Dailies to repair armor is the most unfun mechanic probably out of any MMO I've played.
What has me worried, is that they added further consumables with Shadwlands: weapon oils, sharpening stones, expiring armor patches. I get that this was in an attempt to make some tradeskills more important.

The reasoning they had though, was that they wanted to replace titanforging as a means to bring stagnating raid progress "over a hump." This is removed from reality, both from what titanforging was actually perceived as, and where now everyone requires all consumables from the start, so there is nothing left to "boost you over the hump" to be had.

That actually makes me worried, because it shows they have problems evaluating the impact of systems before implementing them.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What has me worried, is that they added further consumables with Shadwlands: weapon oils, sharpening stones, expiring armor patches. I get that this was in an attempt to make some tradeskills more important.

The reasoning they had though, was that they wanted to replace titanforging as a means to bring stagnating raid progress "over a hump." This is removed from reality, both from what titanforging was actually perceived as, and where now everyone requires all consumables from the start, so there is nothing left to "boost you over the hump" to be had.

That actually makes me worried, because it shows they have problems evaluating the impact of systems before implementing them.

This raises a good question.

Will the new PnP (play nice policy) and social credit system also bring enforcement against "toxic" addons. What will become of addons that are used to humiliate groupmates or attack players skill in chat?

Potion checking and buff checking are both "toxic" by Blizzard's new definition are they not? These addons are using the groupchat to "call players out" which will be a policed aspect of this new system. The addon spews out "toxicity" and "negativity" by insinuating players in chat aren't good enough to play the game if they don't spend the maximum amount of gold per run.

Will certain addons become toxic and lead to action taken against accounts?

donomito

Blackwing Lair Raider
hmm I doubt it.
it's one thing for the game/addon to announce who's retarded and ill prepared and another to say in chat from a player that they are retarded.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I used the addon that called out people for standing in bad shit way back in my raid group for Legion. That shit culled the raid group from like 28 down to like half that by the second week. Whats nice about that addon is that it naturally culls people from your raid - so you generally dont have to tell people to fuck off in a nice way. But then again, we had Vajeet or w/e that DPS DH was named and he would always die within the first 30 seconds of a fight. I never cared that he came cause I was always amazed at how he would die to shit that I didnt know you could die to. We also cleared Heroic before the "main raid" of the guild had cleared normal, so the perks of running the addon are evident.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yes, it's called Details! Damage Meter

Details! also enables some players to turn themselves into "parsers" when they come to a fight not giving a fuck about anything else than their own dps and which color their WarcraftLogs uploads are. They of course tend to die during the process and then check Details! to blame the healers who aren't first at healing.
It's also fun to watch some top arena players, multi gladiators literally combing through their Details! addon trying to understand why they lost with DPS values only. 14 after the spell was introduced, it seems people are having issues figuring people tend to dps a lot less when they're being sheeped.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Asmongold has said he has caused raid wipes on purpose when he had an unlucky start and it wasn't going to be a good parse, I don't doubt there are shitters out there emulating that behaviour. It's even infecting classic, people demanding log checks for Kara badge runs now when it's a week before Sunwell and you can clear it entirely in 90 minutes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Asmongold has said he has caused raid wipes on purpose when he had an unlucky start and it wasn't going to be a good parse, I don't doubt there are shitters out there emulating that behaviour. It's even infecting classic, people demanding log checks for Kara badge runs now when it's a week before Sunwell and you can clear it entirely in 90 minutes.
He's trolling with about 93% of his claims.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dailies truly are aids. Having faction grinds is fine but I always felt the faction tabard system a la TBC was ideal.

You want to go gain faction? Go grind heroics wearing the tabard and you get faction. So if you want to poopsock it you can! Nah, do 30 days of dailies to exalted and if you miss a few days it instead takes 45 days!

Them engagement metrics tho.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Is this real? Anyone got an email like that?

backtothemaze.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users