X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the problem with the x-men movies are that every one seems to escalate the threat multiplicatively. magneto wants to make the humans in new york mutants. then striker wants to kill all the mutants. then magneto wants take over the world with the phoenix. well, that got out of hand quickly, so let's restart... x-men stop the cuban missile crisis. then the x-men have to save the future, then x-men have to stop apocolypse from taking over the world. now x-men have to stop phoenix from taking over the galaxy.

i mean... hey fox, you can have contention in a story without it being 5x the threat of the last story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
After the cinematic experience in theatrical masterpiece that Was Apocalypse how can this movie be anything but even more awesome?

It's like shit, eating shit, shitting that out and presenting it as something other than shit shit.

It's shit.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Part of the reasons the first Deadpool movie is so good is that the stakes are so low. It is nice to have a movie that doesn't involve a portal in the sky that needs to be stopped.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
It really is a shame almost all the X-Men movies blow. I like the universe so much more than MCU superheroes. First Class, Logan and X2 are legit good. DoFP has its moments. The rest are pure shit.
Xmen were my jam as a kid. Claremont and Byrne did some excellent work. The movies have mostly been mediocre to terrible. Agree with your list, but I also mostly liked the 2nd Wolverine movie as well. It wasn't perfect and what the did to Silver Samurai was pretty cringe but I enjoyed the movie. On the whole though they've not done all that well with the franchise and have some legit terrible movies in it. Wolverine Origins and Apocalypse are legit awful. Uwe Boll, Catwoman awful.

• 2Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Still no hot Rogue from the comics?
I fucking couldn't care less about X-Men.

• 2Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I doubt we will ever get a legitimate Rogue. Such a shame since she was pretty close with Jean.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Its funny that the X-men in the Deadpool movies are better than the X-men in their own movies.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Sorry bro Cycolps has always and will always be the teachers pet faggot loser. Cartoon, Comic, live action doesn't matter. Really out of all the xmen what kind of queer likes cyclops.

I was never into teen angst. sorry.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I didn't realize how bad Apocalypse was until clips popped up on Youtube a few weeks back. I think I could have made a better movie in my garage.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
What makes Apocalypse so bad is having to look at Apocalypse. No matter how prepared you are or how many times you've seen pics, you just keep hoping that it isn't true. You can't take the movie even remotely serious when he looks like a reject from a Power Rangers episode. The audience would be so much more forgiving if the movie was mediocre but Apocalypse would have been a BA.

Kn7xPWd.png

Movie .... Comic Artist ..... Cosplay at a Comic-con

Sad the movie is the worst by a long shot lol.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Poe Dameron was so fucking miscast. He was having a stroke delivering those lines in 9” lift shoes. Should have cast Bautista.

• 2Solidarity

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, there was no threat whatsoever, need a badass voice and presence.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Fell asleep to x-men apocalypse last night. Jesus it's boring. I don't think I can get myself to watch the last 30 mins.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
mall scene was cut, for what purpose?

It's not like the "powers" or cgi they showed were cool, they looked no different than 2000 xmen bs anyway.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I still haven't watched this, but I do remember seeing a piece of this scene in the first or second big trailers for the movie.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The latest X-men movies are an expose on how you can cast amazing actors and direct them exceptionally poorly with such a shit script and story. Fassbender is utterly wasted, abilities are used in an awkward, inconsistent manner that really feels like they're trying to save on budget. Meanwhile, Logan, one of the best movies of the decade, has very little CGI, incredible storytelling (save cloned Wolverine), acting, action, drama. X-men really deserves to be an adult, R rated franchise. They've gone through things twice now, and can't seem to get it right when their story should be exceptionally easy to tell without adding stupid ideas that try unsuccessfully to differentiate it from the original comic versions.

The fear of making R rated films has also killed the action genre...

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
mall scene was cut, for what purpose?

It's not like the "powers" or cgi they showed were cool, they looked no different than 2000 xmen bs anyway.

Would have been by far the best scene of the movie. I actually like all the characters more now. Where Jean calls Scott an asshole actually made them both feel human. The fact that this was cut pretty much shows Singer has no idea what makes these films work. He's way, way too focused on the "epic" scenes, and not the connective tissue that makes them work. It's just like the difference between the Thor films, letting the movie focus on the more human shit between big moments makes those moments feel amazing by offering a contrast.

Also, one of the best parts of any superhero film is seeing how people react to the superhero, especially when they are not trying to be superheros. It's one reason why incredibles is such a great movie, or the first two Spider-Man's, and the current one, were really good films. Their superpowers don't help them at all with life's common shit, in fact the responsibility that comes with them makes their life a mess...The petty struggles like that, which make them human, make it so much more rewarding when those same people who might think nothing of their 'hidden identity', interact with their superhero identity and you can really see the massive shift in it. It emphasizes the weight and gravity of their powers. (And this works even if they are meeting other Superheroes. Those first moments when you can empathize with some other character and imagine how they must be seeing your favorite hero for the first time? Is what makes shared universes and superhero movies fun.)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The latest X-men movies are an expose on how you can cast amazing actors and direct them exceptionally poorly with such a shit script and story. Fassbender is utterly wasted, abilities are used in an awkward, inconsistent manner that really feels like they're trying to save on budget. Meanwhile, Logan, one of the best movies of the decade, has very little CGI, incredible storytelling (save cloned Wolverine), acting, action, drama. X-men really deserves to be an adult, R rated franchise. They've gone through things twice now, and can't seem to get it right when their story should be exceptionally easy to tell without adding stupid ideas that try unsuccessfully to differentiate it from the original comic versions.

The fear of making R rated films has also killed the action genre...

Logan is a perfect example of what I was talking about above. Seeing Wolverine as a broken down man through the movie, just struggling to get by makes the final scene when he shows the fucking monster he can be amazing. The one scene where the little girl looks at him while he's going into his frenzy is more emotional and epic than watching the whole fucking world fall apart in this shitty movie.

Superhero films really do need to take a lesson from Westerns in that regard. It's a classic formula for a reason. The 'reveal' of skills to someone who only saw you as just a normal, or even shitty person, is what makes these movies. A man wonders into town, and is harassed or looked down on, but keeps to himself until there is trouble--then he shows he's essentially the grim fucking reaper when pushed by X or Y asshole to everyone's astonishment...It's something I think people empathize with more as they grow older and build experience, and realize that 90% of the people you meet will never understand the stuff you've done or the skills you have, the want for people to see what you can do when you're at your best is a pretty strong desire. Superhero films should scratch that itch, but that requires some of the movie be dedicated to, you know, having your superhero be a normal fucking guy dealing with normal problems (IE dealing with the people that can't see what makes him special).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Logan worked because it wasn't tied down as much, basically the only two real X-men were elderly Logan and Professor X and everything else was wide open. Deadpool 2 also worked with a smaller subset but they still didn't have any real X-men involved aside from the comedy scene. Hell, in terms of showing super powers they had fire/explosions, 'luck' which should be nearly impossible to fubar and then Colossus and Juggernaut for physical brute types. The rest is DP with swords + guns vs Cable with guns so traditional action rather than a focus on CGI lightning, energy beams, or other crazy comic powers.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Would have been by far the best scene of the movie. I actually like all the characters more now. Where Jean calls Scott an asshole actually made them both feel human. The fact that this was cut pretty much shows Singer has no idea what makes these films work. He's way, way too focused on the "epic" scenes, and not the connective tissue that makes them work. It's just like the difference between the Thor films, letting the movie focus on the more human shit between big moments makes those moments feel amazing by offering a contrast.

Also, one of the best parts of any superhero film is seeing how people react to the superhero, especially when they are not trying to be superheros. It's one reason why incredibles is such a great movie, or the first two Spider-Man's, and the current one, were really good films. Their superpowers don't help them at all with life's common shit, in fact the responsibility that comes with them makes their life a mess...The petty struggles like that, which make them human, make it so much more rewarding when those same people who might think nothing of their 'hidden identity', interact with their superhero identity and you can really see the massive shift in it. It emphasizes the weight and gravity of their powers. (And this works even if they are meeting other Superheroes. Those first moments when you can empathize with some other character and imagine how they must be seeing your favorite hero for the first time? Is what makes shared universes and superhero movies fun.)

I remember reading somewhere that Singer is perpetually fixated on trying to create these super iconic scenes that will be remembered forever at the expense of everything else, including story telling, character development, pacing, etc. and he just keeps bombing over and over

By the way, This movie wont be directed by Singer, but rather by someone who has never directed a movie before. I guess Singer is finally poisonous enough that Fox wants to keep him away from this one fearing fallout in the next year that could sink this movie financially.

EDIT: Went back and looked it up, turns out it was Snyder whos fixated on creating these iconic scenes (ala scenes in 300), not Singer. Names were too similar, good thing I rechecked.