Xbox Megathread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Xbox tells me I can shrink Mass Effect Legendary by removing 4k textures since my TV is only 1080. Sure, sounds good. Load game, launcher screen is super laggy, freezes, crashes, eventually works but tells me ME2 isn't installed at all anymore.

Have to redownload the 4k textures.... To get the launcher screen to not be laggy and freeze and to play ME2. Sure, sounds good.

Can install/update from the launcher, but of course it's slowed because a game is open.

Nah, doesn't matter, will keep downloading at 40Mbps over my fiber internet for another 5 minutes like a game is still open. Then it's at 100% completion and just keeps going. I must have downloaded 125% of the update by now. These secret 4k textures better look 125% better on my 1080 tv.

Xbox file/install management never ceases to amaze me.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has anyone bought a Series S and been horribly disappointed?
I don't know anyone that has one.

Half the storage, 1/3 the processing Teraflops, no 4k resolution, no disc drive.

It's just there to trick gramma's buying for lil' Timmy's.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I don't know anyone that has one.

Half the storage, 1/3 the processing Teraflops, no 4k resolution, no disc drive.

It's just there to trick gramma's buying for lil' Timmy's.
Well, they are $299 and readily available. So, there's that.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
If it's what you're looking for and know what you're getting most people seem to be happy with its actual performance. Can always get one, then trade or sell it later to upgrade when more series X are available.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have a Series S. The biggest issue is the storage space, and that's why I would never want it as my only Xbox. If you only have a Series S, it doesn't make any sense at all to buy the expansion card for another $200ish because you could have just gotten a Series X for that much money and a bit of patience. It works well for my purposes though, as I have a Series X at home with a full 4K/7.1 surround setup, and a Series S for when I'm not at home that just has a 1080p PC monitor and some good headphones. It replaced an X1X and it's definitely a large improvement there for the load times alone; stuff that used to take minutes to load now take seconds. Since I had the Series X, it was easier to justify buying a SSD expansion card (on deep sale, I still don't think it's worth the full $230 MSRP) and now I install everything to that card and just plug it into whichever console I'm using.

Only other big downside to the Series S is that if you are still playing last gen games and come across one that is X1X-enhanced but doesn't have FPS Boost support you'll probably be disappointed to find that you're only able to play the base Xbox One version of the game. I've yet to come across a game like that yet though, pretty much everything worth playing has FPS Boost already.

If it's what you're looking for and know what you're getting most people seem to be happy with its actual performance. Can always get one, then trade or sell it later to upgrade when more series X are available.
Worth noting that trade values on Series S suuuuuuuuuuck. I traded my X1X in for $325 around xmas and even today Gamestop is still paying $280 for them. Series S trade value right now is a rather pathetic $187 and it will likely only go lower.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

And I assume there's no way to upgrade the SSD with a non-Microsoft sanctioned product?
Not yet. There's some Chinese knockoffs which are basically just a cartridge that accepts an SSD, but last I checked they were only compatible with one particular SSD which is practically impossible to buy anywhere (and retarded expensive if you do find one).

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have a Series S. The biggest issue is the storage space, and that's why I would never want it as my only Xbox. If you only have a Series S, it doesn't make any sense at all to buy the expansion card for another $200ish because you could have just gotten a Series X for that much money and a bit of patience. It works well for my purposes though, as I have a Series X at home with a full 4K/7.1 surround setup, and a Series S for when I'm not at home that just has a 1080p PC monitor and some good headphones. It replaced an X1X and it's definitely a large improvement there for the load times alone; stuff that used to take minutes to load now take seconds. Since I had the Series X, it was easier to justify buying a SSD expansion card (on deep sale, I still don't think it's worth the full $230 MSRP) and now I install everything to that card and just plug it into whichever console I'm using.

Only other big downside to the Series S is that if you are still playing last gen games and come across one that is X1X-enhanced but doesn't have FPS Boost support you'll probably be disappointed to find that you're only able to play the base Xbox One version of the game. I've yet to come across a game like that yet though, pretty much everything worth playing has FPS Boost already.

Worth noting that trade values on Series S suuuuuuuuuuck. I traded my X1X in for $325 around xmas and even today Gamestop is still paying $280 for them. Series S trade value right now is a rather pathetic $187 and it will likely only go lower.
Hmm thinking about series s for upstairs are the load times the same?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, close enough that you'd never notice the difference, especially when using the SSD cart.
That’s the one that comes with the series S right? I kinda don’t wanna get another Xbox SX if I don’t need one.

Vorph

That’s the one that comes with the series S right? I kinda don’t wanna get another Xbox SX if I don’t need one.
No, I meant this:
I just install all my games to it and carry it around with me. Series S internal drive is empty and the only thing that goes on the Series X internal is physical game installs.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Not current gen games, no, as they're designed to take advantage of the faster storage speeds. BC games will play off of other external storage.