XCOM 2

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
rrr_img_99363.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
After playing EW I'm really excited for this. The original base game was so short and unsatisfying, that I didn't bother to keep up with the additions in the expac.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Enemy Within was awesome. I look forward to making more awesome Psychic Gene-Soldiers. One of the few games where playing on "Ironman" mode or whatever it is called is THE way the play it for me. With Torment also coming out this year. This year will have sated my CRPG lust for quite a while.

Oh yeah, Fallout 4. 2015 is a year where I have spent more time playing games than I have in the past 7 years. Easily.

Lusiphur

Peasant
I never did finish the base game I think. I got too annoyed at how artificially hard the early mission were (because your troops can't hit the arse end of a barn while standing right in front of it).
What's the best build order? Rush to Laser Rifle or something? Plus do you focus on extending satellite cover or just let a part of the world burn?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I never did finish the base game I think. I got too annoyed at how artificially hard the early mission were (because your troops can't hit the arse end of a barn while standing right in front of it).
What's the best build order? Rush to Laser Rifle or something? Plus do you focus on extending satellite cover or just let a part of the world burn?
With the base game you don't really need to rush anything, it flows pretty straight forward. You go for laser weapons while working to expand your satellite coverage. Build laser weapons while researching armor and miscellaneous shit. It's possible to beat the game without ever losing a single country to the aliens, although that requires a little bit of luck on impossible.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I played EU to conclusion on the PS3 and really enjoyed it. I had not heard of The Long War and so now it looks like I'll be buying a copy of both EU and EW for PC to play it. Fucky fuck you, fuckers.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I bet console sales for Xcom were abysmal. They wouldn't exclude the console market if it was lucrative. I was really surprised to see that they'd ported EU and EW because strategy games like this have never been popular on consoles. I picked EW up on sale for 5$ 360 a while back to see how it compares to the PC version but haven't had a chance to check it out. The only other Strategy game I played on 360 was Civilization Revolutions and it was really watered down version of Civilization.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The console sales probably weren't great, but I think the decision to go PC exclusive probably had much more to do with actually making a sequel, instead of just the same game/engine/features with a new story. They go over some of this in the article.

I do agree that games like this shouldn't really ever be ported anyway. Most, if not all, of your audience either doesn't own a console, or has both pc and console. Plus modding. Increasing dev time in addition to hamstringing your game cause of console limitations is just stupid.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I honestly think all the incredible effort the LW devs put into modding EW had a noticeable impact on a lot of decisions Firaxis made/is making with regards to XCom 2.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The physics simulation stuff sounds awesome and is a very good reason to be PC only.

Antithesis

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Eh all the other (admittedly few) console owners I know bought Xcom on my recommendation and loved it. Hell, I may have never even played the original if not for the PS1 port back in the day. They could do... something for the consoles.. but yeah I agree, if the technology isn't there for a full blown sequel to the next gen machines then just keep it on the PC.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, having worked inside the industry, I have a suspicion what the real motivation behind PC exclusive is, and that article is a big smoke screen.

Basically, I'm betting that they weren't really prepared for simultaneous pc and console development on a primarily PC title for Enemy Unknown, having never done it before. They probably decided it would be less trouble to just cut console development entirely, and focus on PC, given that console sales weren't huge, and that most of the real longevity came from the Long War mod. I don't believe any of their shit about 'we needed to work on PC to be able to make X work for the sequel'. They realized that all the people still playing their game a couple months after EW had launched were people playing Long War, so they decided to go all in on PC and mod support.

So yeah, this is one more thing I think we can largely thank the LW devs for.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yep. While I'm all for destructible maps like the originals I don't see the point of that $IGN$ article except to turn a negative into a positive.

Whatever words follow "we don't want money because.." is complete bullshit or good facts to justify a mistake. This game has me as hyped as possible anyway, just callin a spade a spade.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, I still see PC exclusive as a positive thing for me. The camera controls in XCom were pretty awful and obviously a concession to a controller. Trying to move a soldier when the cursor keeps rapidly hopping back and forth between two squares on the same z axis is something else that sure as fuck better not be a problem in XCom 2.

Krag

Peasant
Eh, having worked inside the industry, I have a suspicion what the real motivation behind PC exclusive is, and that article is a big smoke screen.

Basically, I'm betting that they weren't really prepared for simultaneous pc and console development on a primarily PC title for Enemy Unknown, having never done it before. They probably decided it would be less trouble to just cut console development entirely, and focus on PC, given that console sales weren't huge, and that most of the real longevity came from the Long War mod. I don't believe any of their shit about 'we needed to work on PC to be able to make X work for the sequel'. They realized that all the people still playing their game a couple months after EW had launched were people playing Long War, so they decided to go all in on PC and mod support.

So yeah, this is one more thing I think we can largely thank the LW devs for.
I probably read the article a bit differently, but that was sort of what I got out of it. They didn't have a huge team, so devoting people to make stuff work on consoles would cut into the PC development (and depending on how the console sales were, they might not be interested in adding to the team "just" for consoles), and I do think they honestly wanted modding support even before the success of Long War. They talked a lot about getting mod support in there before the launch of Enemy Unknown. It just never materialized, which could be due to any number of factors, but some could be from being stretched thin by console development which Firaxis isn't the most veteran company at.

All in all, I'm sure there's some company talk in there, but I believe the reasoning. I'm also optimistic to a fault and a fan of Firaxis games, though.