You know you're getting old when.....

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I eat roughly 3,500 calories per day

e0d15f36ba7949db2a1bbb757c2439c3.gif

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I know it doesn't help now, but keep some kid's liquid Benadryl on-hand for the next time it happens. The liquid works much faster. You may also need to up the dose for especially bad attacks. (standard consult your local izo/don't die etc.) If you start seeing shadow spiders, you took a bit too much. :)
Sorry to necro this from a fortnight ago, however my wife recently discovered the wonders of ZZZ-Quil. Adult dose liquid diphenhydramine. While she uses it to make sure she's asleep by 9 to resist my charms, It's also good to have on hand for allergies. Also you won't have to down the whole bottle of kiddie liquid. Bonus: Purple Drank Grape Flava

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sorry to necro this from a fortnight ago, however my wife recently discovered the wonders of ZZZ-Quil. Adult dose liquid diphenhydramine. While she uses it to make sure she's asleep by 9 to resist my charms, It's also good to have on hand for allergies. Also you won't have to down the whole bottle of kiddie liquid. Bonus: Purple Drank Grape Flava
Don't use to much of that shit at one time, or you will be up all night fistfighting shadow people. Man that was a fucked up night.

• 5Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Don't use to much of that shit at one time, or you will be up all night fistfighting shadow people. Man that was a fucked up night.
My wife seems immune. I'm not suggesting anyone OD. It just works quickly as an antihistamine and makes my wife sleepy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Zzzquil sadly does nothing for me. Tried melatonin for awhile, and that shit just makes me have weird as shit dreams that would half wake me up constantly through the night. Just straight up Nyquil seems to be the only thing that has an effect on me for sleep.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Zzzquil sadly does nothing for me. Tried melatonin for awhile, and that shit just makes me have weird as shit dreams that would half wake me up constantly through the night. Just straight up Nyquil seems to be the only thing that has an effect on me for sleep.
Drugs arent the answer to sleep issues. Most people either have breathing issues (due to nose/sinus ir being overweight) or have trouble turning off analytical side of their brain. They are "thinking too much". Engaging your creative brain forces the analytical side to shut down. Breathe right strips can help with the former.

I posted recently a trick I learned decades ago in the military. When you go to sleep begin writing a novel in your head each night. Really write it, give the characters all their conversations. Each night pick up the story from the last place you remember from the night before. I am asleep within 10 minutes just about every night.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

"thinking too much".
I have found listening to audiobooks with one these really helps me not think and thus allows me to fall asleep. Most nights I am out within 10-20 minutes. Admittedly some nights I get really into the story and I focus on it to much and don't fall asleep for like and hour. But that is really more a of a choice rather than an not being able to sleep from thinking too much.

1670641149531.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Drugs arent the answer to sleep issues. Most people either have breathing issues (due to nose/sinus ir being overweight) or have trouble turning off analytical side of their brain. They are "thinking too much". Engaging your creative brain forces the analytical side to shut down. Breathe right strips can help with the former.

I posted recently a trick I learned decades ago in the military. When you go to sleep begin writing a novel in your head each night. Really write it, give the characters all their conversations. Each night pick up the story from the last place you remember from the night before. I am asleep within 10 minutes just about every night.

I used to have either music I was making up or movie scenes I thought up playing in my head constantly. I don’t know exactly when this stopped happening, but think it was when I started trying to fix my depression. It is as pretty much effortless before, but now it’s hard to get that going again and my thinking side overpowers it pretty easily now. Might just have to try practicing that again and see if it helps.

The drugs I never did long term, just wanted to give the different options a try for a couple weeks each to see if they work. So yeah I just kinda lay there pissed off for an hour or two before I fall asleep. I don’t like doing it but I do on occasion just hit the NyQuil if I absolutely need to get some good sleep for the next day, like if I’m doing a couple hour drive or what not.

haven’t seen one of those weird blindfolds before. I’m assuming it’s got speakers in it? Might be something to try.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I used to have either music I was making up or movie scenes I thought up playing in my head constantly. I don’t know exactly when this stopped happening, but think it was when I started trying to fix my depression. It is as pretty much effortless before, but now it’s hard to get that going again and my thinking side overpowers it pretty easily now. Might just have to try practicing that again and see if it helps.

The drugs I never did long term, just wanted to give the different options a try for a couple weeks each to see if they work. So yeah I just kinda lay there pissed off for an hour or two before I fall asleep. I don’t like doing it but I do on occasion just hit the NyQuil if I absolutely need to get some good sleep for the next day, like if I’m doing a couple hour drive or what not.

haven’t seen one of those weird blindfolds before. I’m assuming it’s got speakers in it? Might be something to try.
My wife has serious sleep issues becsuse she can't shut down her mind from thinking. My method didnt work for her. She got one of the Bluetooth headbands with the speakers over the ears. Music really didnt work for her, but she started doing podcasts like Bongino and other political shows and it helped her alot. She tried the cloth headband because earphones were too uncomfortable to sleep in.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I read a book in bed to get me there , and then when I am tired enough I can no longer hold the book I think of what it would take to get a rocket with people to (pick a planet). I usually do Saturn , thinking of the fuel / food / etc makes you completely forget about wtf is keeping you awake and you are out like a light.

• 2Like
  • 1Harrow

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think melatonin can take some trial and error to get right. The available dosage per tablet varies dramatically (like 1mg to 20mg or something like that), and you probably want to use the smallest effective dose. I find it helps turn off my thinking, and I fall asleep within a minute or two. I don't always use it, but its great for times when my brain won't turn off. However, once it starts to wear off, I tend to start waking up on and off, and I think this is worse the higher dose I take. I assume that it's something to do with the changing levels instead of the absolute amount. Oddly though, I also find that the fast dissolve ones cause less of this. I guess it's hitting and then fading while I'm still good and asleep.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
My wife has serious sleep issues becsuse she can't shut down her mind from thinking. My method didnt work for her. She got one of the Bluetooth headbands with the speakers over the ears. Music really didnt work for her, but she started doing podcasts like Bongino and other political shows and it helped her alot. She tried the cloth headband because earphones were too uncomfortable to sleep in.
i bought a mini fan and stuck it on the night table next to my pillow. the cool air/breeze mixed in with the white noise puts me to sleep in 20 minutes. in the winter this works crazy good because it freezes me, so i snuggle up in blankets and get cozy comfortable.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those blue light filters help a lot too, I have all screens set up to filter out all blue light an hour or so before I plan head to bed and also dim all room lights at that time. I can go to bed and be asleep in 2-3 minutes sometimes, it's rare that it takes me more than 10.

• 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Falling asleep has never been my problem, my room is total black (no lights sources at all and the windows are covered so no light gets in). I play my rain / thunderstorm white noise and im out in mins...staying asleep is my problem, no matter what time I got to bed come 4 am and I'm wide awake. Sucks ball that's for sure.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Falling asleep has never been my problem, my room is total black (no lights sources at all and the windows are covered so no light gets in). I play my rain / thunderstorm white noise and im out in mins...staying asleep is my problem, no matter what time I got to bed come 4 am and I'm wide awake. Sucks ball that's for sure.
Put more wood on the fire and head back to bed.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
"no, i want that street sign on the corner". i wasnt able to make that happen, not because i wasnt willing to yoink that fucking sign. i had the tools and was ready to do it, but i'm only a bit over 6 foot tall and even if i stood on a step ladder i wouldnt be able to reach that sign which must have been up in the air about 15 feet.

Reminded me of the time we tried to steal a street sign. We had tools. We climbed up on top of the car. But we could not fucking budge those goddamn bolts. I think we actually got one broke free but not the other 3 or 7 or whatever ridiculous number there was.

• 2Like

Goatface

Reminded me of the time we tried to steal a street sign. We had tools. We climbed up on top of the car. But we could not fucking budge those goddamn bolts. I think we actually got one broke free but not the other 3 or 7 or whatever ridiculous number there was.
i had a summer job putting up signs, used special nuts that would hit with a pipe and hammer so they couldn't be removed.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i had a hacksaw and was just going to cut those bolts off. no idea if that would have worked, but i wanted to see if i could actually do it. if only i could reach it. street signs do make cool wall hangers. the stupid towns should have street sign merch to sell to people who are into that shit. doesnt have to be heavy gauge steel. maybe just thin aluminum.

• 2Like