You know you're getting old when.....

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I've never understood the fear of needles. I watch the needle go in to make sure they are doing a good job. And it fascinates me to see it. It barely even hurts. Pussies!

That being said, my mattress sucks and I'm getting old and out of shape, so every morning when I get out of bed I feel more and more like a turtle trapped on its back.

I also think I'm getting hip displaced (sp, and I know that's mainly for dogs/cats, but that's the only term I know to describe it) or something, because if I turn funny or, as mentioned above, try to get out of bed wrong, something tweaks in the pelvic area of my right leg/hip, and it is getting slightly worse and worse every time.

Speaking as a 40-year-old with a nice early hip replacement due to my leg being ripped out of my hip socket and dislocated disk in my back, I found a $250 memory foam bed from Amazon that feels amazing. I had one for a year that was queen size, then upgraded to a king when I got engaged. It helps so much. I would recommend this bed to anyone.
it's 300 dollars now and I would say it's worth 1,000. Check it out broseph.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
When you stop being surprised/annoyed by white hairs showing up everywhere on your body. Always had a few since my teens, but I have a salt & pepper thing going on now and they're spreading to everywhere else.

I don't mind the grey hairs on my hair or beard, but I pluck every silver strand I see in my eyebrows and nose. But I am coming to the realisation that in 10 years or so I'll have to make an uncomfortable decision between allowing the greys to populate my eyebrows or having half empty brows. Or a compromise: colouring my eyebrows.

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I took my annual prostate cancer checkup yesterday, since it's recommended starting at 45.
First thing the guy does is "hey you have a hernia there, does that cause you any discomfort?"

the fuck? no. how do I have a hernia and never even noticed it...

then I rolled over and took the finger up the butt.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I took my annual prostate cancer checkup yesterday, since it's recommended starting at 45.
First thing the guy does is "hey you have a hernia there, does that cause you any discomfort?"

the fuck? no. how do I have a hernia and never even noticed it...

then I rolled over and took the finger up the butt.

Hernias are common and don’t always cause pain. The only time you treat them are if they are painful, enstrangulated (trapped between the connective tissue) or if someone wants it fixed for cosmetic reasons. They can vary from unnoticeable to very large. Don’t worry about it unless you have pain.

I have a post in the medical issues thread related to my recent prostate adventures. I feel your pain bro!

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Hernias are common and don’t always cause pain. The only time you treat them are if they are painful, enstrangulated (trapped between the connective tissue) or if someone wants it fixed for cosmetic reasons. They can vary from unnoticeable to very large. Don’t worry about it unless you have pain.

I have a post in the medical issues thread related to my recent prostate adventures. I feel your pain bro!
Oh snap I went back and read that.

I shouldn't have gone back and read that.

Thing is, I've either had phantom pain all day about that hernia or mr. urologist pushed too hard.

Either way he said I'm too heavy (no shit sherlock) and asked about my weight in the past 10 years. I tell him the lowest was 83 kilos at 183 cm, where he said well that's the upper limit for my size.

The. Upper. Limit.

Does anyone remember the pics I posted circa May 2009, upper limit my ass. I need to take that pic to him next week when we're going through the results just so he sees how stupid that "your size in cm minus 100 is your normal weight in kilos" shit is.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Hip dysplasia is usually a congenital condition (born with it) and you would probably know it due to having a shorter leg or frequent dislocations etc. It's basically where the cup (pelvis) is too shallow to cover the ball (thigh bone).

hip-dysplasia-symtoms.jpg

If it's actually related to the hip joint, the pain will be in the groin. If it's in the back, buttocks or side, then it is almost definitely not the hip joint itself. The most common bone disorders with the hip are osteoarthritis, labral tears, femoroacetabular impingement, avascular necrosis of the femoral head (long term steroid use or drug use can cause this). If you're having pain in the groin, the first thing I would recommend is a hip xray.

You can also have issues with the hip flexors (iliopsoas). These are the muscles that control flexion of the hip, ie bringing your knee towards your chest. See the link below:
Hip Strains - OrthoInfo - AAOS

If you're having pain on the side of the hip (which is actually the thigh) that's most commonly trochanteric bursitis and can be treated with stretching, heat, NSAIDs, injections. Can often stem from tightness in the lower back.

A tight IT band (iliotibial band) can also cause this, as you can see it puts pressure on the trochanteric bursa.

shutterstock_662497660-600x546.jpg

Anyway, go get evaluated, get an xray, start some stretching, see if that helps.

Yeah I was being a little facetious with the dysplasia thing, but I really should be stretching more, that's a fact. I think I can narrow it down to a change in my home computer ergonomic layout, once I started thinking about it. There is an obstruction where I have to sort of widen my "stance" while sitting so to speak, pushing my right leg out wide just a little bit. I didn't think anything of it at first, but now that I pay attention, I'm pretty sure that's what started it. The turtle-roll out of bed is just the time when I notice it most because I get out on the right side of the bed, so I throw my right leg off first, and that's when I feel the twinge. So I think if I fix my desk and stop spreading my leg out wide it might go away over time. The pain is definitely in the groin region, but I don't seriously think it is actually a bad hip. Thanks for the detailed descriptions though.

Speaking as a 40-year-old with a nice early hip replacement due to my leg being ripped out of my hip socket and dislocated disk in my back, I found a $250 memory foam bed from Amazon that feels amazing. I had one for a year that was queen size, then upgraded to a king when I got engaged. It helps so much. I would recommend this bed to anyone.
I have a mattress very similar to that, memory foam, bought it from Amazon. In fact, back before one or two board moves, there was a thread about them and it turned out that Tuco had exactly the same one, just in a king instead of a queen. (Does that make me godfather to his kids?!) It was amazingly comfortable at first, but it seems to have a shorter lifespan than other mattresses. I went through my Amazon orders and discovered that I ordered it in May of 2011, but it has been bad for a couple years now and I just haven't wanted to spend the money on a new one. And not that I can afford it, but I'm debating whether I should get something besides memory foam this time. It has zero "memory" anymore, and I wake up with a sore back if I sleep too long anymore, so it's the debate of buying another cheap one and replacing it more often, or buying a more expensive one and hoping it lasts longer.

This is the one I purchased at the time.

• 1Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I was being a little facetious with the dysplasia thing, but I really should be stretching more, that's a fact. I think I can narrow it down to a change in my home computer ergonomic layout, once I started thinking about it. There is an obstruction where I have to sort of widen my "stance" while sitting so to speak, pushing my right leg out wide just a little bit. I didn't think anything of it at first, but now that I pay attention, I'm pretty sure that's what started it. The turtle-roll out of bed is just the time when I notice it most because I get out on the right side of the bed, so I throw my right leg off first, and that's when I feel the twinge. So I think if I fix my desk and stop spreading my leg out wide it might go away over time. The pain is definitely in the groin region, but I don't seriously think it is actually a bad hip. Thanks for the detailed descriptions though.

I have a mattress very similar to that, memory foam, bought it from Amazon. In fact, back before one or two board moves, there was a thread about them and it turned out that Tuco had exactly the same one, just in a king instead of a queen. (Does that make me godfather to his kids?!) It was amazingly comfortable at first, but it seems to have a shorter lifespan than other mattresses. I went through my Amazon orders and discovered that I ordered it in May of 2011, but it has been bad for a couple years now and I just haven't wanted to spend the money on a new one. And not that I can afford it, but I'm debating whether I should get something besides memory foam this time. It has zero "memory" anymore, and I wake up with a sore back if I sleep too long anymore, so it's the debate of buying another cheap one and replacing it more often, or buying a more expensive one and hoping it lasts longer.

This is the one I purchased at the time.
5 years is a pretty good run for $300 imo. Get another one and stop suffering!

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>

Your link shows broken on my screen, which bed was it? (Wife and I are also shopping)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Your link shows broken on my screen, which bed was it? (Wife and I are also shopping)

Link works. Need to have tracking protections and/or adblock turned off to see them. The link is for a zinus memory foam 12 inch green tea mattress on Amazon

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Link works. Need to have tracking protections and/or adblock turned off to see them. The link is for a zinus memory foam 12 inch green tea mattress on Amazon

Ah cool, so it was my paranoia keeping me from seeing it. ;) Thanks!

• 1Like

Brad2770

... I thumbs up all the delicious food pics in the FSR and skip by all the girl pics.

• 1Solidarity

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Decided to go through my old floppy disk collection to see if there is anything worth saving on them and then chucking the rest. Brought back some memories, such as this gem: my BATS folder. I had set up a good system back in the day where each game I played had it's own corresponding Autoexec.bat and Config.sys file. To play that game I would simply type, for example, "sc2000" and press enter. That would copy Sim City 2k's auto and config files over the real ones. Then all I had to do was restart and load up and play. Good times!

old shit.PNG

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I stop telling telling people my age and instead tell them the year I was born.

• 1Blown

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
5 years is a pretty good run for $300 imo. Get another one and stop suffering!

Christmas bonus wasn't great this year, but it was enough to say fuck it and buy this bed and all new pillows etc. to go on it. Queen size is even cheaper (of course). Should be here in the next few days. I'm looking forward to being able to sleep 12 hours on the weekends again. I remember when I first got the old one, that sometimes I'd wake up feeling like I literally had not moved all night, just stayed in my cozy little pocket of memory foam.

Thanks for the push to finally fucking fix this. Of course, if it sucks, I'm blaming it all on you!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You know you're getting old when you reach into the drawer for the can opener and find that a can lid is still attached to it from when you put it away last.

• 1Worf

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
You sneeze and pull a mussel

I have gout, so I can't eat shellfish, or red meat, or most seafood, or high fructose corn syrup....

Also if I'm awake, I'm usually in pain. From reading about all these mattresses I finally broke down and shelled out for a new one myself. My current one is like 11 years old.