Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You guys must be dumb or something. Gravity works more gooder when closer to the ground. Its why in a lot of states sitting without a mask is good enough protection from kungflu but standing up requires a mask. Fucking duh.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Knowing nothing about tornados I could suspend disbelief enough to accept laying against the ground in a low point or against a hill could let the worst of the tornado go over you.

But how'd the cook hitch up two horses and drive the chuckwagon away in the night without anyone noticing? That would have been so loud. And then after not noticing until morning they just shrug and hope he didn't abandon them? Nah, just left to avoid the storm like the Indians said to do and like the Captain knew they should but just couldn't be bothered to even try.

They're starting to do the Walking Dead thing and creating drama and plot points by just selectively making people dumb or oblivious.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We watched this latest episode tonight - the Tornado is whatever. Ive been around them a few times in my life and I would wager a flying piece of wood is more dangerous unless you're directly in or around the path of the Tornado the size of the one depicted in the show. They could have at least had some random nobody in the wagon train die to a piece of debri or a Wagon flipping on top of them. But its whatever, I guess.

Elsa kissing the Indian during the Tornado out of some feminist 50 shades of grey type of bullshit was obnoxious as fuck, though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The reality they're bending and plot holes they're driving wagons through are starting to strain credibility.

It's the tail end of western expansion, but they're making the story about pioneers blazing a trail. Literally. There were well established routes by 1883, but for the sake of the story they pretend they're crossing the great unknown as if for the first time in history.

By then I bet nearly every river had some sort of ferry or service for crossing. Ruts and forts and trading outposts evidenced to this day. Nah, they're going some back roads, with guides who don't know where the next city or trading post even is.

The first automobile to make a transcontinental drive was in 1903. It's not like everything in between the coasts was abandon the second the railroad was completed. Only 20 years from wagons over the virgin plains of 1883 to some dude driving the first automobile across country on a bet.

Refresher on the timeline. 1820's the first wagon trains start heading west. 60 years of infrastructure and experience are built up. 1882 they dismantle all the bridges, ferrys and trading outposts so the Dutons can have virtually untouched lands for a true pioneering experience in 1883.

20 years later, all the trading posts and towns are rapidly rebuilt along many of the same routes so a guy can drive a car across country taking many of the same routes, but now with fueling stations and the ability to telegraph for parts deliveries.

Can't explain that!

But they could have just explained why they're going a different route, or made the story that these were the last of the wagon train pioneers with dangers unique to that situation. But instead just warp reality in a show that is praised for it's gritty realism.

They probably just wanted the civil war aspect, as mentioned, and wanted to cast Sam Elliott and there was no logical way to match those timelines without just making shit up that is very contrived.

Would be more forgivable, but Elsa is turning into a Mary Sue who just so perfectly represents our modern feminist sensibilities, and meanwhile makes every mistake possible, but is always rewarded for her folly and saved by dumb luck. Or saved by men who get no credit for this stunning and brave pioneer woman breaking down glass ceilings in everything she (mistakenly) does.

Oh no, more white bandits! Thankfully the English speaking noble savage will save the girl at the last minute! ...because her horse being fast was a plot point earlier in the episode, but is suddenly not as fast as three random horses now due the need of another plot point.

Thankfully it's all very credible because Interracial Indian romances were as common on the trail as your 18 year old daughter whoring around with cowboys, which was all totally acceptable to your parents back then if you were like totes in love.

When they kill her and it's supposed to be the most dramatic, gut wrenching scene in television history, I'm going to be glad. Because she's a big reason this show strays from amazing drama into silly melodrama so often.
I felt like we already had severely overstated the danger pioneers faced from white "bandits", and now we have indians rescuing whites from other whites...

And not just indians.. but fucking COMANCHES? They were the most violent indians around. But they just want a peaceful tax... the whites just start shooting.

I didn't know if it was possible to make a frontier wagon train show SJW bullshit but it's getting there.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I felt like we already had severely overstated the danger pioneers faced from white "bandits", and now we have indians rescuing whites from other whites...

And not just indians.. but fucking COMANCHES? They were the most violent indians around. But they just want a peaceful tax... the whites just start shooting.

I didn't know if it was possible to make a frontier wagon train show SJW bullshit but it's getting there.
So is this like Altered Carbon S1 where it starts off pretty good then just gets worse and worse as more sjw nonsense is piled on?

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
So what is like Altered Carbon S1 where it starts off pretty good then just gets worse and worse as more sjw nonsense is piled on?

Not from what I've seen so far.

Isabel May is looking set to cowgirl every Tom, Dick and Harry she runs into in the wild west, though. She's gonna be working a saloon by the end of the season.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wouldnt call any of it SJW or woke bullshit. Its just unrealistic with the times.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
So is this like Altered Carbon S1 where it starts off pretty good then just gets worse and worse as more sjw nonsense is piled on?

It's not too overt. More trying to make a time that was the antithesis of SJW or feminism able to resonate with modern audiences. The contrast of what the time actually was compared to what story they want to tell is balancing on a very thin edge.

For instance, my non-historian guess is a pants wearing Indian fucker whore daughter would have been beaten into submission by now, not have her civil war dad just shrug and think it's neat she believes tornados aren't so bad if you have an Indian to mount.

By the standards of the day she's a whore, but her dad is like welp guess we're 10 miles into our journey, may as well not get too upset at the cowboy that fucked my daughter close enough to camp everyone heard. Had to shoot a guy in the head for almost raping her, but now it's cool if she very blatantly fucks around. That English speaking Indian is a-okay as long as he keeps showing up at the last minute to save the day.

Show is still good, just teeters on the edge of trying to be true to the times and still relatable.

I'm done if they go further down the path of men being conveniently dumb to push plot points and drama, though. Show would be better without the whore, but won't be tolerable if the most competent men keep being made idiots to enable telling her story.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
When the gypsy hooked up with the American inventor I asked my wife what she thought would happen to a black man in 1883 Texas with a Union Calvary jacket on no less, if he was seen with a white woman.

This weeks episode I said , well I guess the daughter is just a whore now.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
No, I think the show is still pretty enjoyable. But the theme they're showing, about how evil and incompetent every white person on the show can be, while making the indians actual good, altruistic, helpful people.. is pretty funny. There's also a fair bit of female empowerment - the wife and daughter are badass take-no-prisoners types, who only need to be rescued by the stone-cold-killer dad sometimes... but they are "strong women" and honestly he seems afraid of them, which is nonsense. In 1883 a woman who backtalked her husband in the West would get hit to the ground so hard she'd wake up in the wagon. A daughter that did what Elsa did (any 1 of the 10-15 things she's done, pick one) would get her tied up in the back of the wagon until they arrived where they're going. She's a walking death magnet.

Naturally... the immigrants hate the gypsy... got to have that oppression narrative in there... and the black man (also oppressed, naturally) takes her in even though the whites wanted her dead/abandoned. So progressive, so accepting.

They're shoehorning modern SJW themes in (and making the daughter the star, she can do no wrong, she is good at everything, every man wants her no matter what... etc) to what ought to be a really enjoyable old west story. It's not necessary and it's idiotic... but they haven't managed to spoil the show YET.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pretty rare literary criticism that the characters aren't stereotypical enough.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
She's a gypsy, not white. Gypsy was pretty low on the societal scale. That didn't seem too abnormal then hooking up. As long as she keeps wearing her gypsy jewelry so people know then he won't be lynched. Of course at some point I bet it becomes a plot point and they'll overplay the situation.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Pretty rare literary criticism that the characters aren't stereotypical enough.

I was going to take this comment seriously and provide a substantive response, but honestly your lame takes are so weak I'll just call you a moron and move on. Moron.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Isabel May is looking set to cowgirl every Tom, Dick and Harry she runs into in the wild west, though. She's gonna be working a saloon by the end of the season.

Yeah, if she continue at that pace they might need to rename the show to " Debbie does the Oregon Trail"

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
do you need to have seen Yellowstone to follow/appreciate this? By follow/appreciate this - you could watch Star Wars 1-3 before 4-6 but you wouldn't be doing it properly

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
No. Far as I can tell the only relationship with Yellowstone is the family name and maybe their destination.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
do you need to have seen Yellowstone to follow/appreciate this? By follow/appreciate this - you could watch Star Wars 1-3 before 4-6 but you wouldn't be doing it properly
Not at all. Seems completely independent to me.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
No. Far as I can tell the only relationship with Yellowstone is the family name and maybe their destination.

Wow, thanks for spoiler moron. You want this crown you'll have to do better than that

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user