2018-2019 NBA Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They had shitty luck for sure, which is why the Cavs series is a much bigger reason. Even if they had Thompson the odds were still against them winning the series

I think Thompson gets them to a Game 7 in this series. Also Leonard didn't even need Kyrie to beat the Warriors, pretty crazy for him.

• 1Worf
  • 1Rimshot
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

That's just unfortunate. Leading scorer in the game tonight and didn't play a minute of the 4th or the last 2 and change of the 3rd about. I mean anything can happen but man that sucks for Klay.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Will be interesting next season since you have to figure the Warriors aren't going to be in the Finals mix.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
After the Cavs choke job and this series, we can finally rest calling the Warriors an all time great team
I agree. They needed to win this year to get 4 out of 5 and be in the all time great team discussion.

The number of injuries to their stars would prevent anyone from winning probably but the results are what they are.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This Warriors team is def in the discussion for all time great team. They arent the GREATEST, but they are def up there with the Mid 90s Bulls, Larry Bird Celtics and Showtime Lakers. Better than Piston bad boys and Popvich Spurs.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This Warriors team is def in the discussion for all time great team. They arent the GREATEST, but they are def up there with the Mid 90s Bulls, Larry Bird Celtics and Showtime Lakers. Better than Piston bad boys and Popvich Spurs.

They are but at the same time...you can't help but feel they've underachieved. It sounds stupid for a team to go to 5 straight, win 3, and still be called underachievers but I don't think anyone has ever collected the level of talent they have(maybe old Celtics). Until this finals, they had the best overall player, the best scorer, another top 5 scorer, and an elite rebounder/defender. Now everyone is up Kawhi's ass(deservedly), but Golden State would have still won this at full strength...probably easily.

I have to give the teams you mentioned a leg up though. They fought against much dirtier opponents when the rules were so much lighter. Guys like Harden would have been nobodies in the 80s. Those kickback threes that are 50/50 fouls just wouldn't happen. His ass would have kissed that floor almost as much without all those fouls to make him 'great'. Yeah, a top team overall but let's not go crazy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The only knock against the Warriors is 2016. That fucking sucked. Nobody can hold this season against them. They were the walking dead in these Finals. How can you say they underachieved when everyone thought they were done after Durant went down in the Semi Finals? What really blows about these injuries is how long-lasting they are. Next season could be more or less a throwaway season. Unless KD opts out and Dubs decide to not resign Klay. So many options to weigh now.

Get to see what a team looks like with only Curry as the offensive threat looks like though.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hosix

All labs matter!
Hot take...

Golden State signs Leonard in the off season.

• 2Worf

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
They are but at the same time...you can't help but feel they've underachieved. It sounds stupid for a team to go to 5 straight, win 3, and still be called underachievers but I don't think anyone has ever collected the level of talent they have(maybe old Celtics). Until this finals, they had the best overall player, the best scorer, another top 5 scorer, and an elite rebounder/defender. Now everyone is up Kawhi's ass(deservedly), but Golden State would have still won this at full strength...probably easily.

I have to give the teams you mentioned a leg up though. They fought against much dirtier opponents when the rules were so much lighter. Guys like Harden would have been nobodies in the 80s. Those kickback threes that are 50/50 fouls just wouldn't happen. His ass would have kissed that floor almost as much without all those fouls to make him 'great'. Yeah, a top team overall but let's not go crazy.

The not the way it was in the old days argument is annoying. If those players from the eighties tried to defend modern offensive schemes they would be run off the floor and their offense wouldn't be able to keep up because they'll be going for mid-range twos all the time. I think it's very difficult to compare eras since each era is a product of innovation and rules changes.

• 1Like

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Fuck yes. City went crazy last night.

• 2Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
The not the way it was in the old days argument is annoying. If those players from the eighties tried to defend modern offensive schemes they would be run off the floor and their offense wouldn't be able to keep up because they'll be going for mid-range twos all the time. I think it's very difficult to compare eras since each era is a product of innovation and rules changes.
I could totally see "super stars" like James Harden curb stomping 80s era teams and players under the old rules with their collective casts.
Give me a fucking break.

• 5Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Sterling

El Presidente
And for every "mugging" in the 90s you had 3 free baskets because nobody did shit off the ball and you could drag the bigs out of the paint. Such awesome defense when 4 or 5 players are completely uninvolved.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Curry being the most lethal...

10 seconds left in the clock, your team is losing by 2.
Who gets the shot? Jordan, lebron, curry, koby, or reggy miller?

That is just 4 guys of the top of my head who I trust more than curry.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

It would be completely different I agree. I don't know about the run off the floor comment. Are athletes today that much more athletic/fit? Would there be a difference if they were like the old guys and played all season every game, instead of having so many days off like modern stars like LBJ and Leonard? MJ was a great 3 point shooter by the end of his career. He'd easily adjust.

I guess my primary question would be, who would adjust faster? I think it would be the 80s guys with their hand-checking and ignored physicality. Does anyone really believe today's stars outside of LBJ and Leonard would handle this? Could handle the Bad Boys or Rodman? As injury prone as LBJ, KD, and others have been, could they handle that kind of physicality for a full 82? I don't see it because they can't handle it today. The argument has no solutions and we all believe what we believe.

Curry was shit last night changing topics. Klay or Curry with the game on the line? Klay.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Once again people are extrapolating not only one game, but one shot across his entire career. Curry has had plenty of closeout dagger shots. Really sucks last night wasn't a great game, but saying he's garbage in the Finals is objectively wrong. He just had a 47 point game this series.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Not to totally dismiss your point, but didn't they put up a stat that he was 0-7 on shots with the game on the line during the playoffs (or something like that?)

And then he went on to miss that one, making it 0-8

• 2Worf
  • 1Mic Drop

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah he's 0-8 in Finals games with less than 20 seconds left in the game when the Warriors are down. It's one of those stupidly specific stats.