2019 NFL Post Season Thread - Rams vs. Patriots for SuperBowl

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
You can't challenge anything related to penalties, whether they were called or not

But a_skeleton_03's point is what makes this a hard example to make a rule from. It would be easy to say penalties are reviewable, but since this was a no call any fix has to essentially be the ability to review anything. Announcers always joke that there's holding on every play but we could potentially see that challenged any time a play doesn't go your way.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
But a_skeleton_03's point is what makes this a hard example to make a rule from. It would be easy to say penalties are reviewable, but since this was a no call any fix has to essentially be the ability to review anything. You're potentially going to get goofy shit like when the NHL overturns goals because of an offsides 30 seconds before the goal.

It would just be like replay now in that you have until the next play is snapped to challenge. Everyone was paranoid the current challenge rules would ruin the game, and that has proven unfounded.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
As long as the number of challenges remain limited, it doesn't seem like expanding the scope of what can be challenged is going to affect much in the long run.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just to add some troll fuel for the fire here, Pats SBs have been close, but that's their MO with the D ramping up in the post season. The last couple blowouts they were subject to were well before the deal with Satan and Bill went into effect (blown out by the bears in 85 and thumped by the Packers in the 90s). They have been to more championships than any team in history, including pre merger era other than the Packers and it took them a century almost to rack up that many appearances. It is definitely the longest run of dominance by a single NFL team, probably helped in no small part by the shit division, but also by the consistency in the coach and QB position. Simple fact is they have had a well paved road to the big dance so long that they have become used to it and less experienced teams get outsmarted by simple experience. There have been other half decade runs (Steel Curtain, Lombardi Years, Aikman/Emit Smith era, ect), but nothing like this one. I hate the evil empire, but you cannot deny the run they have put together. Its one thing to have that doormat division, its another to take full advantage of it (see my Packers shitting the bed or more recently the Roid Hawks not making the most of shit divisions) for rings. The QB is a BIG part of that, but it comes down to coaching (and an owner who is not getting in the way of shit that is working).

I WANT the Rams to win it, but I just do not see it as likely. They have the tools, but the Pats are frankly better coached and have the experience in this level. If they can have the patience to grind it out, they have a shot, especially if the middle pass rush pressure is there. But greener coaches tend to get frustrated and impatient against the Pats late season, while Darth Bill is parsing a years worth of tape to determine the bet way to dick punch the enemy. Rams basically have to control the clock, because they do not have Retard Strong Luck Bad Comedian Eli Manning to confound Bill and their D is not as good as the Eagles one that neutralized the Pats last time out (at least not in the crucial areas). Gurley is going to decide the whole game, imo.

PS- Saints fans can suck it, btw. I rewatched that game and while the non-PI call was egregious, there were so many after the whistle shenanigans that I though I was watching them try to ass rape Favre on national TV again. My theory is the line judge decided they could eat a dick on that play. The spike to helmet shit should have gotten that dude tossed immediately. The phantom RTP when Brady had not even thrown the ball was the most horrendous call of the weekend, by a good margin, and likely had a bigger impact on the game it occurred. Saints lost that game because they went to sleep in the 3rd, not because of one non-call.

• 1Picard

Sterling

El Presidente
We're back on the AFC East being a shit division again? If that's true then every division that isn't the AFC North and NFC South has been shit too.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
The Patriots would be 12-4 in any division, any year. They are head and shoulders above any team in the league during their run. They are a flawless machine from the front office down, they know other teams tendencies better than those teams.

• 1OK, Sure
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
The 49ers were dominant as fuck for 15 years, won 4 titles in 8 years, including 2 in a row in 88 and 89. They went to the Championship game in 90 as well, the only other team in the NFC that could really fuck with them during that era was the Redskins.

But yea, this Patriots team is by far the most dominant and impressive. 3 straight SB's now.... 4 in 5 years. Won 2. Its so fucking hard to even earn a SuperBowl appearance, nevermind overcoming 53 other guys who are playing most likely the biggest game of their lives, plus your own nerves..... Brady is in position to win SIX. He could of had 8 titles for sure. 9 really. All of their losses were somewhat close, the Eagles being their worse defeat.

Whats crazy is he could have easily lost 4 straight Super Bowls going into this one....
I don't think I could live in the world where Brady has 9 rings. He might end up with 6 or 7. Hopefully Rams, if given a chance, don't pass on 1 yard line when the game is on the line and just ram it in.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We're back on the AFC East being a shit division again? If that's true then every division that isn't the AFC North and NFC South has been shit too.
I'm not saying they are good but c'mon man that division is a cake walk and has been forever. The Dolphins are the best competition and they consider a 500 season a miracle. I've no doubt they would still be a playoff team if you drop them and just about any division but they wouldn't be cruising to own field every year if you drop them into any other division then perhaps the AFC West or NFC South and with the kind of physical football that gets played in the AFC North they would have a hard time posting the same record year in and year out.

This is no way diminishes what they've accomplished. As I said other teams has been in the same position with an easy division and not made the same results.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
But a_skeleton_03's point is what makes this a hard example to make a rule from. It would be easy to say penalties are reviewable, but since this was a no call any fix has to essentially be the ability to review anything. Announcers always joke that there's holding on every play but we could potentially see that challenged any time a play doesn't go your way.

That’s why you get one. That’s it. You do it on some dumb play in the middle of the 3rd? Your fault. Plus? You have the play clock going so make a decision.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The Patriots would be 12-4 in any division, any year. They are head and shoulders above any team in the league during their run. They are a flawless machine from the front office down, they know other teams tendencies better than those teams.

I realize your raison d’être on this forum is to troll and I can appreciate that, but they weren't even 12-4 in their current dogshit division this year.

• 2Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
They only need to expand the challenge rules for PI calls, and they should maybe even just be automatic reviews without the need to challenge like touchdowns are. I guarantee a huge percentage of games are decided by PI calls.

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm not saying they are good but c'mon man that division is a cake walk and has been forever. The Dolphins are the best competition and they consider a 500 season a miracle. I've no doubt they would still be a playoff team if you drop them and just about any division but they wouldn't be cruising to own field every year if you drop them into any other division then perhaps the AFC West or NFC South and with the kind of physical football that gets played in the AFC North they would have a hard time posting the same record year in and year out.

This is no way diminishes what they've accomplished. As I said other teams has been in the same position with an easy division and not made the same results.
Except that they have exactly the same win percentage outside the AFC East as they do in their division. This includes them playing 4 other previous division winners every season. The rest of the AFC East has a middle of the pack record outside of the division as well, and has a win percentage that's very league average in general. Again if that dvision sucks, then the AFC West, AFC South, NFC North, NFC East, and NFC West equally suck. So I guess there are only 2 actual divisions in football.

• 2Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
When you don't have to build your team to win your division you can build your team to beat your likely yearly opponents. The AFC and NFC North fans to tell you this. The Vikings can't build their team to beat the Saints Falcons and whatever crawls out of the NFC least because they have the first make sure that they can consistently beat the Packers and the Bears to get to that point. Conversely the evil empire can count on going at least five and one without having to do a damn thing to get there and focus on the real competition. It makes a good difference and other teams have benefited from you similar situations in the past notably the Jimmie Johnson Arrow Cowboys in the Bill Walsh area 49ers it's just that the Patriots had had that division in their back pocket for twice as long as any other Dynasty level franchise.

• 2Pants on Fire!

Sterling

El Presidente
That doesn't jive with facts. Patriots win 8 or 9 games every year outside of their division and they've gone 6-0 in their division exactly twice since 2003 and one of those 2 times was the 16-0 season. They've gone 14-2 4 times during that stretch and every one of those seasons included at least 1 division loss. You swap them with the best team in any division besides the NFC South or the AFC North and they probably end up doing basically the same thing they've been doing and probably even better if you replace the Broncos with them in the AFC West. You swap them with the Packers they probably have more than 2 6-0 division seasons in that stretch.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I was thinking today about brady and the "dynasty"....and it is remarkable..and i doubt we will see another dominating team like this ever.

Brady & the Patriots have been in almost HALF of the superbowls since 2000... think about that, that is fucking amazing...this is brady/Patriots 9th superbowl in 19 years.
and if you consider ONLY the seasons he was a STARTER the whole season he has been in over half of them(i am including 2008's injury season), 9 SuperBowls in 17 years-he has started since 2001(drafted 2000-was not a starter until game 3 2001).

• 2Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The 49ers were dominant as fuck for 15 years, won 4 titles in 8 years, including 2 in a row in 88 and 89. They went to the Championship game in 90 as well, the only other team in the NFC that could really fuck with them during that era was the Redskins.

But yea, this Patriots team is by far the most dominant and impressive. 3 straight SB's now.... 4 in 5 years. Won 2. Its so fucking hard to even earn a SuperBowl appearance, nevermind overcoming 53 other guys who are playing most likely the biggest game of their lives, plus your own nerves..... Brady is in position to win SIX. He could of had 8 titles for sure. 9 really. All of their losses were somewhat close, the Eagles being their worse defeat.

Whats crazy is he could have easily lost 4 straight Super Bowls going into this one....

Actually if you think about it over the same time period as those 49ers and Redskins teams you talk about, you had the Bears who were great for a couple years, Parcells' Giants who won 2 Super Bowls during this time as well. NFC was a murderer's row from ~'80 to ~'95. But doing what they're doing now in the salary cap era is nuts.

• 2Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
They only need to expand the challenge rules for PI calls, and they should maybe even just be automatic reviews without the need to challenge like touchdowns are. I guarantee a huge percentage of games are decided by PI calls.

Problem with this could be hand fighting. That would be too much. Hand fighting is a constant and it’s technically PI. It needs to be egregious. The Rams one was just that.

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That doesn't jive with facts. Patriots win 8 or 9 games every year outside of their division and they've gone 6-0 in their division exactly twice since 2003 and one of those 2 times was the 16-0 season. They've gone 14-2 4 times during that stretch and every one of those seasons included at least 1 division loss. You swap them with the best team in any division besides the NFC South or the AFC North and they probably end up doing basically the same thing they've been doing and probably even better if you replace the Broncos with them in the AFC West. You swap them with the Packers they probably have more than 2 6-0 division seasons in that stretch.

This is why people hate Boston fans. Even when you try to be contrite and kiss the ring, they immediately try to put their dick in your mouth. Re-read my post. I guarantee you that if the Pats had to play in a physically division, like say the AFC Central, and the Ravens, Bungles, and Steelers got two times a year to physically pound them they would have only gone to half their SBs. You have just lived in the AFC East bubble for so long you have gotten used to the smell of your own farts on this particular point. And if you are a lifer Pats fan, you should know this because the Bills benefitted from the exact same situation for a good while on their path to the all time Superbowl Choke Kings, but like most teams they did not take advantage of what they had dealt to them. The only time the Pats have had a consistent playoff contender in their division was the Buttfumble led Jets. Most other divisions had at least two teams with SB appearances within the last decade or so (except LOL AFC South and West) or at least two teams in the race for the division each year. Pats have a yearly brainfart in Miami, since they put Buttfumble out of his misery, and then they get to swivel all their guns on the usual suspects from the AFC North they get scheduled with each season. It helps and you are either a total homer or idiot to think otherwise. But, AGAIN, you have to cash in on those opportunities and the Pats have with unmatched consistency in a post cap era for twice as long as any other dynasty has ever had a run in the history of the league.

• 2Picard
  • 1Cutler

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
This is why people hate Boston fans. Even when you try to be contrite and kiss the ring, they immediately try to put their dick in your mouth. Re-read my post. I guarantee you that if the Pats had to play in a physically division, like say the AFC Central, and the Ravens, Bungles, and Steelers got two times a year to physically pound them they would have only gone to half their SBs. You have just lived in the AFC East bubble for so long you have gotten used to the smell of your own farts on this particular point. And if you are a lifer Pats fan, you should know this because the Bills benefitted from the exact same situation for a good while on their path to the all time Superbowl Choke Kings, but like most teams they did not take advantage of what they had dealt to them. The only time the Pats have had a consistent playoff contender in their division was the Buttfumble led Jets. Most other divisions had at least two teams with SB appearances within the last decade or so (except LOL AFC South and West) or at least two teams in the race for the division each year. Pats have a yearly brainfart in Miami, since they put Buttfumble out of his misery, and then they get to swivel all their guns on the usual suspects from the AFC North they get scheduled with each season. It helps and you are either a total homer or idiot to think otherwise. But, AGAIN, you have to cash in on those opportunities and the Pats have with unmatched consistency in a post cap era for twice as long as any other dynasty has ever had a run in the history of the league.

Stop being a faggot. He's not a Boston fan (I mean, Christ, he's a Dolphins and Yankees fan, IIRC) and the facts actually back up his contention instead of your memories. He's actually one of the rare sports posters here that can apply some level of critical thought to analyzing sports.

• 2Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Actually if you think about it over the same time period as those 49ers and Redskins teams you talk about, you had the Bears who were great for a couple years, Parcells' Giants who won 2 Super Bowls during this time as well. NFC was a murderer's row from ~'80 to ~'95. But doing what they're doing now in the salary cap era is nuts.

To me that's the most impressive thing in this and a sign that the CBA is destroying the league to a degree. Tom plays for a club friendly rate and nets a bunch of rings, meanwhile in Chedderville ARod gets mad over Jordy being axed and sponges all the available money out of the team and has no supporting cast. Steelers, if I am being honest, probably have the second best run in the post Cap era. Most other teams seem to fade out after two years, tops.

Pre-cap? Packers were dominant for maybe five to seven years in the Curley Lambeau and Lombardi eras, 49ers under Walsh had a great seven year run, Big Tuna Giants were super strong for around five, Jimmy Johnson Cowboys were dominant for around six or seven? Only AFC team that even comes to mind are the Bills who could not seal the deal? Even in the pre-cap era most strong rosters had at most a two year shelf life. Love or hate the Evil Empire, they basically put up a sort of benchmark I do not think will ever be equaled.

• 1Like