2019 NFL Post Season Thread - Rams vs. Patriots for SuperBowl

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yup, we all know the prolific super bowl career of Dan Marino (to use an actual QB and not a walking SJW talking point).

Not very comparable, really. Unless Shula had resigned and went to coach college shortly after Marino's SB appearance, along with half of the team's stars retiring/etc in a complete collapse of basically the entire franchise.

Was actually thinking about this when reading the stats of Pats' 8th straight Conference Championship, 9th SB in 19 years. What other teams have had anything even coming close to that sort of dominance over the same time frame? You could make a case for Steelers in the 2000's, Ravens in the Flacco era (although more b/c of their D overall), Seattle since drafting Wilson, the Colts with Manning, Denver in Manning's waning years with their defense...but has anyone else but the 49ers (and the Patriots, obviously) been to 3 straight Conference Championship games in that whole time period?

Actually there is one I just found before posting, Eagles went to 4 straight way back at start of Pats dynasty, '01 through '04.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
'SAINTS GOT ROBBED' billboards pop up around Atlanta for the Super Bowl

dc718200-4275-4cb2-8a9e-3aaaddcd4679_750x422.jpg

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
All I'm saying is, every time there's a hot young quarterback, people start talking like it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to play in multiple Superbowls during the course of his career, but they only give out 1 Lombardi trophy a year and 32 teams are spending hundreds of millions of dollars trying to get it. A lot of things have to go right to even make it to the Superbowl, and a lot of really good quarterbacks will never play in one, let alone win multiple times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
What other teams have had anything even coming close to that sort of dominance over the same time frame?

Have to go back pretty far, but the Lombardi Packers won 5 league championships in 7 years, including the first two Super Bowls.

Sterling

El Presidente
NFL was 13 teams until 1961 when it went to 14 teams, then eventually they merged with the AFL but that was after most of the packers shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Have to go back pretty far, but the Lombardi Packers won 5 league championships in 7 years, including the first two Super Bowls.

I was specifically talking about essentially 2001-now, during the same time frame as the Patriots dynasty, but yeah the fact you have to go that far back to find anything comparable/more successful (although many many less teams and no salary cap), is amazingly impressive. The fact that the salary cap and other rules have brought extreme parity around the league except to this one franchise tells the whole story, really. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Pats and will root for whoever plays them in the playoffs (aside from rooting for the meteor when it's Giants/Eagles/if Dallas ever got there), but can't help but respect their accomplishments.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Does sound like league is going to look again at being able to review penalties of some sort. I'm sure this will raise enough bitching to actually get something changed...but who knows.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If I understand it correctly the issue was there was no call. You can't challenge no call, right? There has to be something there to dispute?

He didn't almost catch it so you can't dispute completion.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also wouldn't be an issue if that dumbass defender had just turned around and played the ball for an easy interception instead of blasting the receiver. The pass was terrible, and one could almost argue uncatchable by virtue of where the defender was, although I'm sure that's nowhere near the definition of uncatchable normally used for ignoring PI.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
NFL was 13 teams until 1961 when it went to 14 teams, then eventually they merged with the AFL but that was after most of the packers shit.

Yeah, pre-superbowl doesn't count. The league was a joke back then.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Packers have like 13 pre-merger championships, I didn't mention them all. I only mentioned the ones from the Lombardi era because that continued into the first two Super Bowls, and 5 league championships in 7 years, 2 of which were Super Bowl wins, is a dominant franchise no matter how you slice it.

Sterling

El Presidente
If we're going to do that, we can just bring up how The Yankees have won 27 out of 40 World Series that they played in out of the 114 total.

Sterling

El Presidente
Reading isn't one of your strengths, is it?
You could pick any number of ~ 20 year stretches if you want to be closer to what he was talking about. It's about as relevant as a 7 year Packer stretch. If you want to take that short of a stretch in the NFL the Steelers in the 70s winning 4 Super Bowls in 6 years is probably better than that particular Packer stretch since it was all post merger.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The 49ers were dominant as fuck for 15 years, won 4 titles in 8 years, including 2 in a row in 88 and 89. They went to the Championship game in 90 as well, the only other team in the NFC that could really fuck with them during that era was the Redskins.

But yea, this Patriots team is by far the most dominant and impressive. 3 straight SB's now.... 4 in 5 years. Won 2. Its so fucking hard to even earn a SuperBowl appearance, nevermind overcoming 53 other guys who are playing most likely the biggest game of their lives, plus your own nerves..... Brady is in position to win SIX. He could of had 8 titles for sure. 9 really. All of their losses were somewhat close, the Eagles being their worse defeat.

Whats crazy is he could have easily lost 4 straight Super Bowls going into this one....

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If I understand it correctly the issue was there was no call. You can't challenge no call, right? There has to be something there to dispute?

He didn't almost catch it so you can't dispute completion.

You can't challenge anything related to penalties, whether they were called or not

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Whats crazy is he could have easily lost 4 straight Super Bowls going into this one....

Yeah, as someone pointed out earlier, every single SB game the Patriots played has been close. A single play turning out differently in each game could have made Brady 0-8 or 8-0. With how many SBs have had blow outs, it's kind of surprising they never had one. Their least close victory was probably the Eagles game and the Eagles still had a small chance at the end.