2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I consume a lot of NFL content, and I read a ton, especially the 49ers. When the 49ers moved up to 3rd and everyone was talking about Mac Jones, I automatically dismissed it. I consider Shanahan an extremely smart coach, especially on the offensive side of the bal. And it was impossible for me to come to grips with him thinking that Mac Jones, the far and away least athletic of the 5 top QBs, was the answer at QB for them. The same coach who has to see Wilson twice a year, Murray, and then got beat in the Super Bowl by Mahommes, somehow believes that Jones is the answer. I just refused to believe it.

But after that press conference yesterday, it just feels like he really is going that way. If they do in fact take Jones 3rd, it is going to show some serious arrogance from Shanahan in my opinion. It will be him saying "I know my system and if you can just give me a QB who can function within it, we can win". I don't know what about the press conference yesterday pushed me that way, it's just his defensiveness in some of the answers I guess. I continue to hold out hope that it isn't Jones, even though I honestly think Jones will do just fine in Shanahan's system. It is really all about the potential of Lance and Fields, and how much they paid to move up to it that would bum me out.

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there for no real reason as we all look forward to Thursday.
I didn't watch the conference but I saw an article that interpreted it the same way you did, that Shanahan was already doing damage control with fans who were going to think he made the wrong pick going with Jones.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I consume a lot of NFL content, and I read a ton, especially the 49ers. When the 49ers moved up to 3rd and everyone was talking about Mac Jones, I automatically dismissed it. I consider Shanahan an extremely smart coach, especially on the offensive side of the bal. And it was impossible for me to come to grips with him thinking that Mac Jones, the far and away least athletic of the 5 top QBs, was the answer at QB for them. The same coach who has to see Wilson twice a year, Murray, and then got beat in the Super Bowl by Mahommes, somehow believes that Jones is the answer. I just refused to believe it.

But after that press conference yesterday, it just feels like he really is going that way. If they do in fact take Jones 3rd, it is going to show some serious arrogance from Shanahan in my opinion. It will be him saying "I know my system and if you can just give me a QB who can function within it, we can win". I don't know what about the press conference yesterday pushed me that way, it's just his defensiveness in some of the answers I guess. I continue to hold out hope that it isn't Jones, even though I honestly think Jones will do just fine in Shanahan's system. It is really all about the potential of Lance and Fields, and how much they paid to move up to it that would bum me out.

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there for no real reason as we all look forward to Thursday.
The other thing is you never fucking know. For every "sure" thing that pans out like the John Elways and Payton Mannings of the world, you have the Ryan Leafs, Tim Couches, and Cade McNowns.

I think a "system" QB can be successful, but I'm not certain Shanahan's system is as good as he thinks it is. Furthermore, I'm also not sold on Jones, but look at all the teams who passed on Marino. It's all a fuckin' crapshoot.

Hosix

All labs matter!
The other thing is you never fucking know. For every "sure" thing that pans out like the John Elways and Payton Mannings of the world, you have the Ryan Leafs, Tim Couches, and Cade McNowns.

I think a "system" QB can be successful, but I'm not certain Shanahan's system is as good as he thinks it is. Furthermore, I'm also not sold on Jones, but look at all the teams who passed on Marino. It's all a fuckin' crapshoot.

Wow....you went all the way back to Cade McNown. He was so awful.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
First round quarterbacks hav like a 70% failure rate. Shanahan is in a shitty place because if he doesn't go with the guy the media told the fans he should pick then anything less than a hall of famer is going to be considered a failure and every dipshit fan is going to say they knew better even though all they did was parrot a few TV scouts who wish they were good enough to coach an NFL team.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
14 spots back in Round 7 for a guy who had a great year for us at guard 2 years ago? Sign me up. Might see Brandon Scherff actually get traded now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
LOL @ Fields going to TB at 32. I can officially start ignoring what Simms says when it comes to drafting.

1619552138367.png

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
it's all about the clicks, all of these guys are basically as right as a broken clock

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
If Pitts and Chase are both off the board and Miami goes with Smith or Waddle at 6, I'd probably not feel super great about that. still hoping that someone trades into 4 for a QB or someone takes Sewell ahead of miami so they can get Pitts or Chase, or take Sewell themselves and move one of their tackles inside. But who the fuck knows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont see CIN taking anyone other than OL after what happened last year. Between Boyd and Higgins I dont see the immediate need for a receiver.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I dont see CIN taking anyone other than OL after what happened last year. Between Boyd and Higgins I dont see the immediate need for a receiver.

I can see Cincy taking Chase and then using the next two picks on OL. I want Sewell though.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I'd say hold open the possibility Chase happens. The noise about it won't stop.

Sterling

El Presidente
Well, my thing with the Dolphins was the whole idea of moving to 6 was to get Pitts or Chase, Would rather take Sewell at 6 than a a different WR if they're goine then a WR at 18 or later on. Like they probably could have had one of Smith or Waddle at 12, so that trade up would feel pretty bad at that point.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Taking a receiver in the top 10 has really worked well for CIN a few years ago.. and I think other than Amari Cooper it’s been a bad choice for like 10 years now. But it is CIN so I expect them to mess it up and fail.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Taking a receiver in the top 10 has really worked well for CIN a few years ago.. and I think other than Amari Cooper it’s been a bad choice for like 10 years now. But it is CIN so I expect them to mess it up and fail.

Ross is probably the worst 1st round Bengals pick since Akili Smith. I think Chase is the real f'ing deal though and it is Burrow throwing to him.

AJ Green was a pretty fucking good top 10 WR pick.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, i don't think early pick WR flop particularly more than other positions, it's just that i think taking Sewell or someone at 6 then taking a WR at 18 works out better than taking Smith/Waddle at 6 then a OL at 18. Pitts or Chase is different though and I'd at least understand that.

Fadaar

That guy

Bucs took Mike Evans at #7 and he's definitely been worth it

edit: wow that was actually a BEAST of a WR draft

Mike Evans, OBJ, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Davante Adams, Brandin Cooks

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Yeah, i don't think early pick WR flop particularly more than other positions, it's just that i think taking Sewell or someone at 6 then taking a WR at 18 works out better than taking Smith/Waddle at 6 then a OL at 18. Pitts or Chase is different though and I'd at least understand that.

Found this interesting