2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don’t agree with either statement. Tom didn't have about the best offensive line for 20 straight years. He had a good one last year as an old man but not every year. KC knew they had turnstiles. Maybe the game plan needed more adjustment.

For the second argument. I always think that’s a terrible argument. "NFL suddenly employs new Supermen found frozen in cave. Our super duper new science creates them in a lab beside the COVID!" Terrible. Do you think Reggie White, LT, JT, Sapp and others wouldn’t succeed in today’s NFL? Surely, you jest? Do you think Walter Payton, OJ etc couldn’t run in today’s NFL? I think Sapp in his prime, with all those extra practices and conditioning, would dominate the fatties we see on the OL today just like he dominated then.

The OL of the 90s Broncos were much more athletic than these mega-fats today. WFT just traded for a lazy, mega-fatty. Miami has two starters over 320 lbs and just picked up a guy that's 340. Are you saying those guys are athletic??!!???!! With all those practices they don't have to do anymore?! C'mon now!!

No, the reality is that the NFL practices far less than it once did and has pushed offensive benefits so far that you don't need Supermen on the OL. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/02/nfl-holding-penalties-scoring/ . It's always about changed rules. Defense can't do nearly as much as they could two decades ago. Offense given so many advantages in the hopes of higher scoring.

The new QB rules and push are directly meant to up scoring and make it easier for QBs that can't read a defense, aren't as accurate, and are running backs to still succeed. Too many of the money makers aren't succeeding. We have to change this! QBs can't be touched. WRs can't be touched. Hard hits cause massive penalties. These rules let them spread the field more. Keep those QBs happy and healthy!

Numbers are changed so that QBs like Brady can stop dominating our damn game! Please, let the new kids bring in more money, Tom!!! Sure, it was a change to help the defense, wink, wink! We need less thinking, more running! Guys who can plan ahead have too big of an advantage! Just look at the last twenty years! The smartest QB kept winning damn it!!!! No more, Tom...and I think it will work. Tampa will not win this year's Super Bowl. Bank it.

I wasn't saying every year, just specifically last year. It's something I see happening now and over the next 3-5 years, the move away from pure pocket passers. Brady didn't have the talent around him at all his final year with the Pats, and they went one and done mainly for that reason. He also didn't just have a good one last year, they were very good to great. Top 5 in the league. His pressure rate on drop backs was 4th lowest in the league last year, when Arians' offensive systems usually result in more pressure on QB's due to the focus on downfield passing.

Sure the absolute greats of the game could still succeed today, but on the whole, most of these pass rushers today are just different athletic specimens than they were on average 25-30 years ago. They weren't found frozen in a cave, that's just natural progression. I think you undersell how much more athletic some of the big men are in the league today, too. Whether someone like Sapp would dominate the same way, can't say for sure, but do you think he compares to Aaron Donald?

I get it, Flowers isn't the most exciting guy, not like I was calling him an All Pro. Christ we swapped 7th round picks and Miami is paying 66% of his money this year to trade him to us. What are we even talking about? He just had a decent year at guard for us 2 seasons ago, and is nice depth/starting competition potentially.

Practicing less doesn't mean these guys are in worse shape. Guys aren't slamming 6 packs like they used to after practice or at halftime back in the 80's. I think quite a few guys that got by back then as average to semi good players would be lost in the sauce against today's athletes.

The rules changes are a real thing, although I think it affects defensive backs more so than anyone in coverage against wide receivers. One rule "change"...or more change of enforcement you didn't note is the lack of offensive holding penalties last season. When you call less holding against O lines, it makes it easier to protect pocket passers (and just QB's in general), and will lead to increased scoring, just as calling MORE holds/PI's on DB's does.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Whether someone like Sapp would dominate the same way, can't say for sure, but do you think he compares to Aaron Donald?

I think it's safe to say coaching/strength and conditioning keeps getting better. Warren Sapp vs. Aaron Donald? You could argue which is more talented, but not which was in better shape...

82892013_original.jpg
dihejdegebz.jpeg

Merrith

I think it's safe to say coaching/strength and conditioning keeps getting better. Warren Sapp vs. Aaron Donald? You could argue which is more talented, but not which was in better shape...

82892013_original.jpg
dihejdegebz.jpeg

Donald's probably a bad comparison...he's pretty much in a different bracket all his own. I will just push back against any idea that the overall athleticism in the league isn't increasing as time goes on. Obviously there are degrees to how big the effects are from it, but they're there.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Donald's probably a bad comparison...he's pretty much in a different bracket all his own. I will just push back against any idea that the overall athleticism in the league isn't increasing as time goes on. Obviously there are degrees to how big the effects are from it, but they're there.

I agree AD is a bad comparison lol. Hes definitely one of the all time greats. There’s just nothing else like him today or yesterday.

I agree about the athleticism to a point but I wonder about how different it would be. The 80s were full of steroids and a much more brutal game. I really don’t think today’s players could have held up with today’s drug rules. They get hurt all the time now. I can’t imagine what Romanowski would do to guys who have never experienced the old NFL. These guys can’t even handle two a days.

• 1Like

Merrith

I agree AD is a bad comparison lol. Hes definitely one of the all time greats. There’s just nothing else like him today or yesterday.

I agree about the athleticism to a point but I wonder about how different it would be. The 80s were full of steroids and a much more brutal game. I really don’t think today’s players could have held up with today’s drug rules. They get hurt all the time now. I can’t imagine what Romanowski would do to guys who have never experienced the old NFL. These guys can’t even handle two a days.

Yeah AD is the literal unicorn. That picture is just fucking crazy. Dude is solid muscle. While I think guys like Romanowski played a much dirtier game back then, I think he'd have trouble getting away with that kind of stuff nowadays. Steroids or not, guys now are just naturally bigger, stronger, and faster on the average. I think most guys in the NFL can handle two a days just fine

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I mean he’s been rumored to be traded to the Patriots since the season ended. If he’s not their QB after draft weekend I’ll be shocked.

Merrith

I mean he’s been rumored to be traded to the Patriots since the season ended. If he’s not their QB after draft weekend I’ll be shocked.

Might be waiting to see who the Niners are picking at 3, although frankly if they're talking Jimmy G trade I'd be they probably already know.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah AD is the literal unicorn. That picture is just fucking crazy. Dude is solid muscle.

6' 2", 280 with abs. Those numbers just don't add up to a normal human.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
6' 2", 280 with abs. Those numbers just don't add up to a normal human.

His quickness and power is crazy. His first step is so fast, it’s like if you dont have a double team ready? Have fun!

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Not sure I like this. Jimmy G is a devil, a sexy one at that, but the devil we know.

I dont want my team that I've been following my whole life to start from scratch from an unproven 3rd or 4th qb taken in the draft.

• 1Worf

Hosix

All labs matter!
Not sure I like this. Jimmy G is a devil, a sexy one at that, but the devil we know.

I dont want my team that I've been following my whole life to start from scratch from an unproven 3rd or 4th qb taken in the draft.
Trade for nick foles please.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Haha so his name is really Mike Jones.

Anyone remember the rapper Mike Jones? MIKE JONES.

Makes me like him a LITTLE more. I truly believe the 49ers are taking Lance now though. Lynch wants Trey, and word is ownership likes Lance as well. SO if Shanahan takes Mike Jones, he better win and win a lot to keep his job going forward.