2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Holy shit. That's a big gamble. I hope it's for Zach Wilson but they're saying the 9ers are happy with whichever of the top QBs is left at 3. Saleh would be nuts to stick with Darnold when they have #2 unless he could trade it for 3 firsts. I'm guessing if the Jets were looking to trade they probably would have done it with SF since they are all buddies. Pretty good chance Lynch knows who Saleh is going to pick too. I hope he does.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
The more I think about it, the more I think Dolphins kinda messed up a little as far as what they got for moving back 3 spots. The extra 1st being 2023 and not next year just makes it weird.

its brilliant,

they have multiple firsts spanning many years.

they can spread out rookie Contracts.

Once you stop sucking your firsts start fall to 20-32 and lose some impact. If you can supplement with other team first without giving up great players out will have a solid foundation for many years.

The Fins are doing everything right imo. It’s scary as a Bills fan.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
its brilliant,

they have multiple firsts spanning many years.

they can spread out rookie Contracts.

Once you stop sucking your firsts start fall to 20-32 and lose some impact. If you can supplement with other team first without giving up great players out will have a solid foundation for many years.

The Fins are doing everything right imo. It’s scary as a Bills fan.

They only have one 1st next year now, San Frans. It's just weird to look at the two trades as one trade and see how it affected this year, specifically.

Essentially, they traded back from #3 to #6, also moving back from Round 4 this year to Round 5 this year. In return, they got a compensatory 3rd next year, and a 1st in 2023. If the 1st was still next year, it would make more sense.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit. That's a big gamble. I hope it's for Zach Wilson but they're saying the 9ers are happy with whichever of the top QBs is left at 3. Saleh would be nuts to stick with Darnold when they have #2 unless he could trade it for 3 firsts. I'm guessing if the Jets were looking to trade they probably would have done it with SF since they are all buddies. Pretty good chance Lynch knows who Saleh is going to pick too. I hope he does.
According the Schefter the 49ers never even talked to the Jets about trading up, so they must know who they are going to get.

Merrith

According the Schefter the 49ers never even talked to the Jets about trading up, so they must know who they are going to get.

Yeah that signals they know who the Jets are taking.

Although it's a little weird they would have accepted any top 5 pick. That opens up the Trey Lance or Mac Jones possibilities a little more in my mind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
They only have one 1st next year now, San Frans. It's just weird to look at the two trades as one trade and see how it affected this year, specifically.

Essentially, they traded back from #3 to #6, also moving back from Round 4 this year to Round 5 this year. In return, they got a compensatory 3rd next year, and a 1st in 2023. If the 1st was still next year, it would make more sense.

No, they have 2 1st rounders in 22.

49ers and Dolphins

2 1st round picks in 23
Not to mention 2 1 first’s this year.

6 1st round picks in 3 years.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing, which scares the shit out of me. I was never really sold on Fields, and thought Lance at 12 would be pretty cool (but didn't think he would last that long). But trading this much I think Fields is the only one worth it. I don't know, shit makes me nervous.

Edit: This is in response to Merrith Merrith

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente

It makes sense if they feel strongly about Pitts or whoever they're targeting at 6. I'm sure they probably tried trading the 2023 pick but had to trade this 2022 one to make it work.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
No, they traded their own 2022 as part of the trade with Philly to move up from 12 to 6.

You are right.
it’s just not clear if they have the 9ers or thier own pick.

hence the site I linked is not updated for that portion.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Fuck, even worse is this take here (and Simms is close with Shanahan).

If the 49ers traded all of that to move up and get Mac Jones, I am going to be pissed.

THIS IS AWESOME! I LOVE THIS NEW 49ERs FRANCHISE THAT I AM FOLLOWING!!!!

Excited Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

• 1Worf

Merrith

You are right.
it’s just not clear if they have the 9ers or thier own pick.

hence the site I linked is not updated for that portion.

From what I read gave up their own 1st next year. Which seems a little weird as San Fran with just Jimmy G and decent health made the Super Bowl 2 years ago. I get betting on yourself to be better than them, but it might not be reality.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Pick #6 is really the sweet spot if you wanted a specific non QB pick not named Sewell. I bet Grier has coveted that spot all offseason but had nothing to offer the Eagles who didn't want a QB.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Its interesting to think about the history of QB's picked 1st over all and how it worked out in the last few years

2020 1 Joe Burrow, , it appears he may be outshined by Herbert, we shall see how he bounces back from that big injury.
2019 1 Kyler Murray, so far best looking QB of this draft year
2018 1 Baker Mayfield. fair to say, even with my bias, outshined by Josh Allen. Clearly outshined by NFL MVP Lamar Jackson.
2017 2 Mitch Trubisky, Passed Both Watson and NFL MVP Mahomes. Not a #1 pick as was #2. listed due to the fact bears paid to jump up 1 spot get him costing 3 extra picks LOL
2016 1 Jarred Goff Many would argue (me included) outshined by Dax Prescott
2015 1 Jamies Winston, No longer starts in the NFL, or does he? I honestly don't know what to think about this guy anymore. He had that one 5100 yard season, but so many INT. This will be an interesting year for him and the saints.

It looks likely a QB will be taken in each the first 3 picks this year, unless the Jests go for Sewell. The consensus is Lawrence, so it will be interesting to see how the top 3 picks go and how they pan out over the next few years.

• 1Like