2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Jimmy G is the greatest QB that our team has had since Steve Young. Shouldnt be so quick to cut bait with him.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Saleh doesn't owe the 49ers anything, but that sort of info I'm sure happens more than we know during draft season, and they're in opposite conferences, so it's not like they're directly competing or anything.

Yeah and if you're picking #2 and not planning to trade it what's the worst that could happen if who you're picking gets out? Someone gives the farm away to Jacksonville for the #1 pick and they take your guy and you have to settle for the consensus best qb in the draft as compensation? Hardly seems like the end of the world.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah and if you're picking #2 and not planning to trade it what's the worst that could happen if who you're picking gets out? Someone gives the farm away to Jacksonville for the #1 pick and they take your guy and you have to settle for the consensus best qb in the draft as compensation? Hardly seems like the end of the world.

Right? Plus I think the chances Jacksonville trades out of #1 are as close to 0 as can be, aside from a truly epic mistake by some other GM giving up more draft capital than we've ever seen, basically.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
You have to imagine the Jets are at a minimum listening to offers since every team, besides Jacksonville, showed up for Wilson's pro day. The amount the 49'ers paid for #3 sets the stage for some serious crazy shit to go down for that #2 spot should the Jets go that way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

You have to imagine the Jets are at a minimum listening to offers since every team, besides Jacksonville, showed up for Wilson's pro day. The amount the 49'ers paid for #3 sets the stage for some serious crazy shit to go down for that #2 spot should the Jets go that way.

But if they trade out, that means they're sticking with Darnold. I read some tweets a couple weeks ago when supposed Darnold trade rumors were hot that his value as still a potential starter to a lot of fans/outsiders isn't how he is viewed among coaches/coordinators around the league (they think he sucks). Maybe the Jets think differently, but it's tougher with a new coach who might want his own guy/fresh start.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm really curious what the Niners will do with Jimmy G now. They're saying they plan to keep him which seems crazy considering his salary but maybe they're hoping to do an Alex Smith/Patrick Mahomes type scenario where the new kid sits for a year or at least a few games. If Jimmy starts off the season and has a few good games before the kid takes over it might actually increase his trade value. On the other hand, that's a lot of cash to spend on a guy who's not starting and if he doesn't start the season looking good they might not get much in trade. I'd like to think that they could get more for him right now than the 2nd round pick they spent for him but I really don't know. If they could use him to get one of those first rounders that they just spent back that would be ideal.

Merrith

If they want to let a guy sit a year, they can afford Jimmy G since even #3 overall pick's deal won't break the bank anymore.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Hyperbole.

Zero chance? Reality is that good players drop all the time in the draft.

We can avatar bet on if any of the top 3 QBs make it to pick #12? I mean, good QBs drop all the time, that's exactly why people don't ever trade up in the....OHHHH.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
But if they trade out, that means they're sticking with Darnold. I read some tweets a couple weeks ago when supposed Darnold trade rumors were hot that his value as still a potential starter to a lot of fans/outsiders isn't how he is viewed among coaches/coordinators around the league (they think he sucks). Maybe the Jets think differently, but it's tougher with a new coach who might want his own guy/fresh start.

Hard to really evaluate Darnold when his head coach was a complete failure of epic proportions. I see the case for both moves, just glad it's not me having to make it. Douglas and Saleh certainly need to be on the same page with this decision tho

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, as time goes on it feels like Manning had success despite Gase and not because of him.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Jimmy G is the greatest QB that our team has had since Steve Young. Shouldnt be so quick to cut bait with him.
That honor belongs to Trent Dilfer, you bandwagoning piece of shit!

• 2Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
You guys are obviously forgetting the great Chris Weinke and the illustrious Cody Pickett.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

shiiit gotta go with the ironic but kind of unironic one at the same time Jeff Garcia