2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Sterling

El Presidente
Except his cap hit for this season is only $15M, whereas for next year it's $40M, so they still end up saving all that extra money.
Right. You were saying that they save 10.5M this season if they wait till 6/1 to trade him. my point was that they'll have to take that 16.2m cap hit the following season.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Brissett to Miami

Keep checking Twitter for the Trent Williams news. Getting nervous the 49ers aren't going to be able to keep him

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Right. You were saying that they save 10.5M this season if they wait till 6/1 to trade him. my point was that they'll have to take that 10.5m cap hit the following season.

If they wait until after 6/1 to trade him, next season they're actually netting $35M in space from moving him, because if they trade him post 6/1, the only dead space for each of the next 4 years (including this one) is the $5.4M prorated bonus.

Merrith

Tyrod Taylor deal only worth $5-6M base, incentives can raise it to $12.5M

Sterling

El Presidente
If they wait until after 6/1 to trade him, next season they're actually netting $35M in space from moving him, because if they trade him post 6/1, the only dead space for each of the next 4 years (including this one) is the $5.4M prorated bonus.
right, but that's all they're eating whenever they trade him. just that if they do it after 6/1 the prorated signing bonus shit gets shifted to the 2022 cap.

Merrith

right, but that's all they're eating whenever they trade him. just that if they do it after 6/1 the prorated signing bonus shit gets shifted to the 2022 cap.

Yeah just play with the drop down on the right side of this page Deshaun Watson Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Lays it out year by year and each situation Cut pre/post 6/1 and Trade pre/post 6/1 (although obviously, they've never actually just cutting him).

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Also, not that I actually expected him to move, but it sounds like Wilson is staying in Seattle.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente

Merrith

Yeah. it's 21.6M regardless if they trade him, it just juggles where the 2022-2024 portions of the SB gets counted.

Exactly, but since we're worried about the net affect of trading him for each successive season, the fact that his cap hit jumps from $15M and change to over $40M and change next year (and $42M and change the year after that, $37M and change year after that, etc...) means they're still netting savings, and pretty big ones in years after this one since his cap number jumps over $25M from this year to next.

Sterling

El Presidente
Exactly, but since we're worried about the net affect of trading him for each successive season, the fact that his cap hit jumps from $15M and change to over $40M and change next year (and $42M and change the year after that, $37M and change year after that, etc...) means they're still netting savings, and pretty big ones in years after this one since his cap number jumps over $25M from this year to next.
I mean all of that is the same regardless of when they trade him this offseason.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Great that the patriots signed 3 top offensive people, but, Newton last year could not throw worth SHIT.

Unless this changes the PATS STILL need a QB THAT CAN ACCURATELY THROW the fucking ball downfield

He was shoestring every other pass it seems. I have no idea why they didn't go after ANY QB out there other than Newton.

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Bill must have had a stroke and woken up a different man.

He has no choice but to play by the same rules every other team now. Either tank or spend. Since we know they had what? 70m in cap space, spend makes way more sense short term.

• 1Like

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Also, not that I actually expected him to move, but it sounds like Wilson is staying in Seattle.

LOL Seattle has done fuck all bout their offensive line...hope Wilson has fun getting his shit pushed in all season long

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't rule out the idea that the Pats find a way to get a QB during the draft, one they might not be willing to toss right out there but maybe later in the season