2022 NFL Offseason Thread: Looking forward Tua better future!

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But if they wait a bit, they can will probably also get good draft picks, etc.

Just trying to see their perspective. Releasing a good qb is not a positive outcome in the modern NFL.

They may end up releasing him anyways. Again, I haven't really been following this. Just seems strange from the outside. Jimmy is a pretty good QB and that is a rare breed.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think they have to give Lance his shot whether he's ready or not. Also they haven't extended Deebo or Bosa yet and I'm guessing Jimmy's money is what they're planning to pay those guys or at least one of them. No reason to release him until the very last minute though. I don't know if they can hold onto him through training camp or not but there's always a chance a QB has an ACL or something in training camp and a team will be desperate for a starter.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It's more about if Lance is ready to be the guy. Does Shanahan have the confidence that Lance is the best shot at getting past the conference championship and winning the superbowl.

Kaines

Potato Supreme

So now you want to lose the coin toss
That article was horribly written. The new rule for playoff games (only) is that no matter what the first team who gets the ball does, the other team will get a possession. So you still want to win the coin toss, but every team will do what college teams do and play defense first.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Is Trey Lance ready and better than Jimmy?

Haven't really been following this so I'm probably missing something here but Jimmy has been performing at a high level for a while now. At least from an outside perspective. Good QB's are very hard to come by. Is everyone so sure that Trey will be better or that he will even be competent?

And as long as Jimmy can't pass the physical the 49's can't get much for him in a trade. If they wait until he's healthy there is a good chance another team will have lost their QB to injury by then and be desperate. 49'rs can get a lot more for a healthy Jimmy.
Nobody knows, and until the 49ers actually let him play, nobody will know, including Shanahan. All of this is stupid because the 49ers used 3 1st round picks on Lance. Unless you can recoup those picks, you absolutely need to go out and let him play. One of the huge factors about having a QB on a rookie deal is they are cheap, comparatively. You fill out the rest of the roster using that extra money. You don't keep another QB on the roster for $25M, it's a fucking waste of years on the rookie contract.
It's more about if Lance is ready to be the guy. Does Shanahan have the confidence that Lance is the best shot at getting past the conference championship and winning the superbowl.
And I guess this is the big question. The 49ers decided to move on from Jimmy because even when he played his best, they saw his limitations (and injury history). You can't use 3 1st round picks on a guy and decide he isn't your guy. You need to at the very least give him a chance and figure out if he is the guy or not.

This shit is dumb, and if Jimmy really is on the roster once training camp hits, the 49ers are retarded.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actual racism in hiring practices supported by a multi-billion dollar corporation. Liberalism is a mental disease that is wholly incurable.
Why doesn't Goodell give up his spot for a minority? The pretentious football hating prick.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
And I guess this is the big question. The 49ers decided to move on from Jimmy because even when he played his best, they saw his limitations (and injury history). You can't use 3 1st round picks on a guy and decide he isn't your guy. You need to at the very least give him a chance and figure out if he is the guy or not.

This shit is dumb, and if Jimmy really is on the roster once training camp hits, the 49ers are retarded.

If Lance is your guy for the next 10-20 years once he takes over, sitting him till he is ready doesn't seem like some huge mistake. Most people predraft didn't think he was ready to start in the NFL(you can count Shanahan in that category obviously) but his ceiling is ridiculously high so they went for him knowing this going into it.

As for 49'ers fans wishing an injury on another team to take Jimmy is rich, careful what you wish for, you don't exactly have good history on how injuries go.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
If Lance is your guy for the next 10-20 years once he takes over, sitting him till he is ready doesn't seem like some huge mistake. Most people predraft didn't think he was ready to start in the NFL(you can count Shanahan in that category obviously) but his ceiling is ridiculously high so they went for him knowing this going into it.

As for 49'ers fans wishing an injury on another team to take Jimmy is rich, careful what you wish for, you don't exactly have good history on how injuries go.
I am not an NFL coach obviously, but I seriously question how much a QB learns from riding the bench for 2+ years. I disagreed with, but fully understood, why they kept Jimmy last year. If Lance would have started I expect it would have been rough, although still meaningful in terms of learning. I know people always point to Aaron Rodgers and how he sat on the bench for a few years, but that sure seems like an outlier. Otherwise you would have teams drafting QB's and sitting them for multiple years since it would automatically turn them into HOF QB's.

And nobody should be wishing injury anywhere. Not sure what 49ers fans you are referring to, but I surely won't do that. I get that they want to get any sort of trade value out of him if possible, but if not they need to cut ties and move on.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That article was horribly written. The new rule for playoff games (only) is that no matter what the first team who gets the ball does, the other team will get a possession. So you still want to win the coin toss, but every team will do what college teams do and play defense first.

Stupid fucking rule. So now if each team scores a touchdown, whoever has the ball at that point still has an advantage.

How long until some big name QB loses in the playoffs because they only got 1 possession while the other team got 2 and this shit changes again?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Stupid fucking rule. So now if each team scores a touchdown, whoever has the ball at that point still has an advantage.

How long until some big name QB loses in the playoffs because they only got 1 possession while the other team got 2 and this shit changes again?

Defenses have to be held accountable at some point.

• 1Like

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
They should just use some version of the college OT. Each team gets the ball at the 25 and alternates possessions. Have to go for 2 on a TD.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
they should just get rid of deferring. It's stupid, predictable and retarded. Coin toss should just determine who gets the ball first and that's it. You win the toss, you get the ball. The other team gets to decide the side of the field

• 2Imbecile
Reactions: 1 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider

We are truly blessed this day...as long as Goff is still dating Christen Harper and she's got some screen time! I mean I guess listening to Dan Campbell talk about chewing off kneecaps would be alright too.

Video evidence:

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I was fine with how it was, see how this goes but it's funny that it's an over reaction to the Chiefs/Bills game when the Bengals did exactly what the Bills couldn't do a week later and people somehow still think the Bills deserved a shot. That it is in the playoffs only and not getting used at all until then is also pretty hysterical.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's unsatisfying when one team just scores quick in OT and the game is over. I don't know that all these changes actually make it better though.

The ultimate example of this is the 2007 game on MNF where OT lasted all of 16 seconds.