28mm Miniature Tabletop Wargaming Thread

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
White is tough for sure, you can start with the darker colors and work up, a lot of times you go bright wash down and brighten back up the edges with the dry brush, another tip is if you gloss coat them before washing the wash will run into the cracks and recesses better... they look good so far just a bit more practice.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Current wip

20170511_230335.jpg
t
20170511_230342.jpg
20170511_230348.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
That looks amazing! Hey, I see in the background of your picture you have some guys stuck to the top of corks. How do you adhere them? I tried using that wall tack putty, but the figures kept wanting to peel off. I tried white glue as well, which didn't work at all, so I try to couple dots of superglue which worked way too well! Haha. I'm sure it's a pretty big dinner thing, but I haven't found anyone in any video explain what the figures are held onto the corks with.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
These ones are held on with poster tack, I use the white one, not the blue but I am not sure if that matters, usually I drill a little hole in the foot and glue a paperclip in there, then stick that in the cork, another method I have seen work is rubber cement and wooden dowels.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Just need to figure out what I'm going to the base and add decals

20170512_220151.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I hate to say it but now that you got the right yellow shade you should give it some dirt to make it feel realistic unless for some reason you want a factory-fresh look. With a model that large you should start adding more details as well. Drill the barrels out, dirty the plates (mud around feet whatever, bit of black wash in recesses), add some battle damage (little cannon shell strikes/etc.). You should also consider getting a few shades of metallic colors on the massive blocks of silver, the single color blocks on multiple parts may be 'realistic' but they aren't that flattering on a model and especially with trim work and a large scale unless you're doing high detail such as faux reflection NMM work to give the components definition. So for instance the metal piece holding the chainsword arm on, paint each piece different metals, like make one of the arm rings a rust/bronze and give it a tiny burnt gold highlight, paint the cylinder with the 4 cut-outs body panel color, etc. The great thing is subtle things (like painting a lot of the 'rivets' a silver color to make them look worn/removed/maintained) can add a ton of detail to the model without a lot of effort because of the size.

• 2Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hate to say it but now that you got the right yellow shade you should give it some dirt to make it feel realistic unless for some reason you want a factory-fresh look. With a model that large you should start adding more details as well. Drill the barrels out, dirty the plates (mud around feet whatever, bit of black wash in recesses), add some battle damage (little cannon shell strikes/etc.). You should also consider getting a few shades of metallic colors on the massive blocks of silver, the single color blocks on multiple parts may be 'realistic' but they aren't that flattering on a model and especially with trim work and a large scale unless you're doing high detail such as faux reflection NMM work to give the components definition. So for instance the metal piece holding the chainsword arm on, paint each piece different metals, like make one of the arm rings a rust/bronze and give it a tiny burnt gold highlight, paint the cylinder with the 4 cut-outs body panel color, etc. The great thing is subtle things (like painting a lot of the 'rivets' a silver color to make them look worn/removed/maintained) can add a ton of detail to the model without a lot of effort because of the size.

Was just about to post something similar. The Knight looks awesome, but the surfaces need depth. Ink wash for shading the recesses and some dry brushing and highlights for the edges. Then, it would look complete.

For my large models, I often had the base done in the terrain we played on, along with the corpses of the factions my friends played. Made it pretty fun to see them being stomped/eaten by my large units and monsters.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My final additions to my army for the summer, sans some extra detail work:
depthhorrors2.jpg
knucker2.jpg
knucker.jpg
placos.jpg

I am not big on infantry hordes in KoW, but I wanted a centerpiece unit to anchor the core of my battle line, so I did that last unit up as a Placoderm Horde. The shell was a bit of a gamble and expiriment, but the shell got locked in firmly by the resin and everything else came out nicely. I just need to sand some of the bubbles off on the lip and glass clean the edges. Gonna debut this stuff at Bayou Battles in August, most likely.

The whole army was extremely fun to work on, but I am taking a break on it for the summer while the wife and I work on our Unity hobby project and do some board gaming. Besides, I have around 4000 points of Trident to toy with in my armies and if I feel like painting, I can just add details to the existing stuff.

• 2Like

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Phazael Phazael Loving the Trident realms, I gotta find a way to make it to the south to play you.

Thanks for the critique on the knight, after looking at the knight some more I need to rough him up a bit. I was so fucking stoked over the yellow coming out and not looking like garbage.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
There's a few 40k Facebook grips that often pussy insane work and stuff i save away for if i ever paint again.

Lots of knights so some good ideas on the highlights and accents you might do.

How about this free hand work......

FB_IMG_1494517880750.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That is some insanely good freehand AND wear work on that Knight.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Selling my Cygnar Army due to just not feeling Warmacine lately. Dusting of my 40k models. Think I'm going to focus on 40k and Kings of War.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With freehand like that there has to be some sort of background in classical training, right?

There's no way a hobbyist did that. Some award winning artist with a paint-stained smock and one of those muffin-looking hats did that. Probably has a French accent as well.

Sludig

Selling my Cygnar Army due to just not feeling Warmacine lately. Dusting of my 40k models. Think I'm going to focus on 40k and Kings of War.
The stuff in just the last 6 months and 8th edition is exciting for 40k. Lots of dread because there are huge changes but from what I see mostly good.

What kind of $ for the cygnar out of curiosity. I dont think theres anywhere near me to play, but always thought about picking up a few random warjacks for a shelf.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The stuff in just the last 6 months and 8th edition is exciting for 40k. Lots of dread because there are huge changes but from what I see mostly good.

What kind of $ for the cygnar out of curiosity. I dont think theres anywhere near me to play, but always thought about picking up a few random warjacks for a shelf.
There's a place near everybody to play, you just gotta find it :)

I agree. I am excited about the 8th stuff. Let's just hope they don't screw it up. Shadowwar wasn't as fun as I wanted it to be. Some of the mechanics seem terrible so I am hoping they put more thought in to 8th.

Sludig

I love the look of primaris Marines and the new dread though i miss old style too. The plasma cannon version looks kinda silly like an upside down tau ion cannon.