91st Academy Awards - Hoping to be the most woke Academy Awards ever!

spronk

FPS noob
Up to and including the point where she let him die because she wanted the plank of wood all to herself. If that's not an accurate portrayal of women in a relationship: I don't know what is.

it could have only worked if they had used Rose's life vest and tied it under the board, any other way would have resulted in both of them dying from hypothermia.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
the end of the OG BNB still rustles my jimmies. i tried watching it years later as an adult and the magic wore off for me. MOneybal is an interesting film, but its not really satisfying. just this is how we compartmentalize everything to make this game as by the numbers as possible. maybe accountants would rate it top 5.
Well, I'm pretty big on Sorkin and I love baseball and analytics so yeah, those things would certainly skew my viewpoint on that movie. That said, being a Yankees fan there's a bunch of Yankees movies that I'm kind of partial to myself. 61 was quite good for example. 42 wasn't too bad although at this point the I'm kind of done with the White Guilt sports movies in general but Boseman as Robinson wasn't bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Moneyball we figured fit in the 5-10 range. Bad News Bears pretty dated at this point. I can sit through For Love of the Game and it's not terrible like Mr. 3000 level, but it shouldn't be mentioned ever on some Top 5 or even Top 15 list. There's plenty of other movies like 42, Eight Men Out, The Rookie, hell Mr. Baseball...even kid stuff like Little Big League or Rookie of the Year haha.
i like Mr Baseball, its actually really interesting, i learned a lot of stuff about japanese baseball and watched Tom Selleck slay asian poon with his mustache.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, I'm pretty big on Sorkin and I love baseball and analytics so yeah, those things would certainly skew my viewpoint on that movie. That said, being a Yankees fan there's a bunch of Yankees movies that I'm kind of partial to myself. 61 was quite good for example. 42 wasn't too bad although at this point the I'm kind of done with the White Guilt sports movies in general but Boseman as Robinson wasn't bad.

I liked Moneyball a lot, the funny thing is it feels more of a Great Movie than a Great Baseball Movie to me, if that makes sense? It lacked some of the emotional nostalgia stuff that a lot of the other ones I'd rank ahead of it have. Maybe it's just because I don't really follow/have interest in baseball nearly as much as I did when I was a kid. They lose at the end too, versus all the rest that have some sort of victory/triumph, basically.

Another random one that gets to me is Hardball, but maybe it's just cause I think Keanu is great.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

it could have only worked if they had used Rose's life vest and tied it under the board, any other way would have resulted in both of them dying from hypothermia.

OK, they wouldn't have been able to share the board, but she could have swapped places with him, meaning my relationship analogy still works.

Sterling

El Presidente
I liked Moneyball a lot, the funny thing is it feels more of a Great Movie than a Great Baseball Movie to me, if that makes sense? It lacked some of the emotional nostalgia stuff that a lot of the other ones I'd rank ahead of it have. Maybe it's just because I don't really follow/have interest in baseball nearly as much as I did when I was a kid. They lose at the end too, versus all the rest that have some sort of victory/triumph, basically.

Another random one that gets to me is Hardball, but maybe it's just cause I think Keanu is great.
Yeah, it just sort of feels like a Sorkin movie with baseball as part of it and it's largely about management and not the players as much so it has a different feel to it.

• 2Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This reminds me of a time at a party where we were discussing the Top 5 Baseball movies of all time and someone decided they needed their idea to be heard and said unjokingly "Mr. 3000". That person was of course banned from giving their opinion on anything forevermore.

Yeah I don't know why you would call it Top 5 when it's a clear and unquestionable #1.

Merrith

Yeah I don't know why you would call it Top 5 when it's a clear and unquestionable #1.

How Brian White didn't get an Oscar nom for Best Supporting Actor as Rex "T-Rex" Pennebaker I'll never know...

Sterling

El Presidente
Need to go back to the baseball movie derail. Much better than the shitass Titanic derail.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
How Brian White didn't get an Oscar nom for Best Supporting Actor as Rex "T-Rex" Pennebaker I'll never know...

I genuinely liked Mr 3000, although I would never be so brain damaged as to claim it was some amazing piece of cinema.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Need to go back to the baseball movie derail. Much better than the shitass Titanic derail.
Pride of The Yankees is easily the best baseball film because it has the King himself in it.
original.gif

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm actually triggered you haven't seen 61* Chuk. Get on that shit. Find it somewhere.
lol, i'll get to it. i dont care about the M&M team, remember i'm a Dodgers fan. Ruth however, is the best there ever was and the best there ever will be. what he did in less games, with cruder equipment and no juicing will never be topped.

Sterling

El Presidente
lol, i'll get to it. i dont care about the M&M team, remember i'm a Dodgers fan. Ruth however, is the best there ever was and the best there ever will be. what he did in less games, with cruder equipment and no juicing will never be topped.
I'm a Yankees fan and some of this is just dumb. He also didn't play against black pitchers, or relief pitchers in general. It's a very different game now.

• 1Like

Merrith

Fuck 'em. Maris is the King.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm a Yankees fan and some of this is just dumb. He also didn't play against black pitchers, or relief pitchers in general. It's a very different game now.
black pitching, you mean Satchel Paige, Satchel was just one man. Ruth struck out quite a few times. if you want to diminish Ruth's greatness you can do better by bringing up the fact he was on an incredible team and he got a lot of atbats.
Fuck 'em. Maris is the King.

Ruth's SLG is mindblowing.

career SLG .690
when he hit 60 homers in 151 games it was .772
contrast that with Maris
career SLG .476
when he hit 61 homers in 161 games it was .620
Maris's career stats dont match up to any of Ruth's ranking. Ruth is the greatest.

• 1Picard

Merrith

black pitching, you mean Satchel Paige, Satchel was just one man. Ruth struck out quite a few times. if you want to explain away Ruth's great you can do better by bringing up the fact he was on an incredible team and he got a lot of atbats.

Ruth's SLG is mindblowing.

career SLG .690
when he hit 60 homers in 151 games it was .772
contrast that with Maris
career SLG .476
when he hit 61 homers in 161 games it was .620
Maris's career stats dont match up to any of Ruth's ranking. Ruth is the greatest.

Maris played against better competition. Also you won't find a soul that says Maris is better than Ruth overall, that's ridiculous. His season was just incredible, and hasn't been replicated without chemical assistance.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Maris played against better competition. Also you won't find a soul that says Maris is better than Ruth overall, that's ridiculous. His season was just incredible, and hasn't been replicated without chemical assistance.
yes, of course. juicing and free agency killed the sport for me. you can tell i was a big baseball fan at one point. i wont say what maris did was shit. he was great and against great pitchers. pitchers got better later on because they didnt throw their arms out early like the really old old timers did due to small rotations and long games with no relief pitchers. still you had guys even back then who were icons.