Affluenza

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Not really, it changes it to a too vague of a statistic to draw a meaningful conclusion for the probation rate for DUIs involving manslaughter.
Well I agree, but lumping it in with murders isn't really accurate either.

iannis

Musty Nester
it seems like there's gotta be a place where you could pull up a %age of DUI manslaughter convictions that result in probation.

It really seems like that would be some beauracrats paycheck for a month, just compiling a few lists like that. Or do they just throw raw data into a records file and say, "good luck with that". I can believe that too.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Confirmed MMO players keep more data and parse more combat logs than the government keeps on simple crime statistics.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
it seems like there's gotta be a place where you could pull up a %age of DUI manslaughter convictions that result in probation.

It really seems like that would be some beauracrats paycheck for a month, just compiling a few lists like that. Or do they just throw raw data into a records file and say, "good luck with that". I can believe that too.
Yea I know we actually pay for a service at my firm that tallies up all the civil judgments in which county and keeps track of which judges get more $ and less... because although the judgments are public record, they aren't searchable and you can't query/sum them etc... wouldn't be surprised at all to learn criminal sentences aren't the same way. Someone has to actually go tabulate it and publish a study.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why is this guy so bad to you guys? I mean obviously he should and probably will go to prison now. But do you think this is the first guy who got probation for his first offense and didn't clean up his life? Is the schadenfreude that bad because he comes from a wealthy family?
I get what you are doing here, but it has all the makings of a great villain storyline. Wealthy family with a kid that has been wild and unaccountable for years, family has been in other legal trouble, kid commits a heinous act and skates, defense uses a catchy term that causes RABBLE RABBLE, kid goes right back to boozing and partying, then skips probation and possibly flees the country.

Gotta make them advertising dollars and people will click it, so here comes a tidal wave of stories. Plus he really is a little shit sandwich.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
affluenza17n-7-web.jpg

Kid looks like he should be returning shopping carts at the grocery store parking lot

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you rephrase that in English?
You know Cad, I already understand you need to throw away your moral compass in order to be successful as a lawyer (or even better, never having one in the first place like this kid), but I would have expected at least you to understand that all men are equal in the eyes of the law. Is it some sort of reflex for you already? Rich people pay for your lifestyle, so they're always right?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So, you say some cryptic shit that I don't even understand what you mean, I ask you to clarify, and that means I have no moral compass? Well, ok then. Fuck you too.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
You know Cad, I already understand you need to throw away your moral compass in order to be successful as a lawyer
My buddy is a military lawyer (JAG). He told me he got some dude tribunal-convicted for rape that he was pretty sure didn't do it. He did not see a problem with this; he was the "victim's" lawyer, so that was his job. Dat lawyering.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
My buddy is a military lawyer (JAG). He told me he got some dude tribunal-convicted for rape that he was pretty sure didn't do it. He did not see a problem with this; he was the "victim's" lawyer, so that was his job. Dat lawyering.
I mean, thats not even correct lawyering. Prosecutors don't represent the victims. They represent the state, or more correctly the interests of the state. The state has no interest in convicting people who aren't guilty. And the model rules of ethics have special ones for criminal prosecutors:

Rule 3.8: Special Responsibilities of a Prosecutor | The Center for Professional Responsibility

When a prosecutor knows of clear and convincing evidence establishing that a defendant in the prosecutor's jurisdiction was convicted of an offense that the defendant did not commit, the prosecutor shall seek to remedy the conviction.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean, thats not even correct lawyering. Prosecutors don't represent the victims. They represent the state, or more correctly the interests of the state. The state has no interest in convicting people who aren't guilty.
Apparently sex crimes were a politically charged issue for the military at the time and he was told to present the best case he had regardless of his personal beliefs. So he did his job. Perhaps too well.