Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
it's one second right before the damascus sword appears, when she breaks through the glass, it's actually two different scenes
a61c97fcd68e84adcb8f18f2855ed654.png

here's the scene you see 4 wheels for inline skates.

it two different suits, the scene i'm showing is her motorball suit, the scene w/ the damascus sword is most likely berserker suit.

Ahh, I didn't go back far enough. If they're including motorball, hopefully they keep that short, otherwise this would need to be stupidly long.
I was figuring Makaku would be the big bad, with Hugo's story running parallel to that. They could end the movie with either of their deaths, depending on what kind of tone they want to end on.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
As someone who knows nothing about this story or the manga, the latest trailer is much better than the previous ones. I'll go watch it.

If the previous pictures were representative of the art in most of the series, though, there was no fucking reason to make her eyes so ridiculously big. They look like normal, too-big anime eyes not some defining trait of the character.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
People bitching about the eyes, big deal, get over it.. It looks fanfuckingtastic to me and I loved this as a kid. Still have it on vhs

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I am sad they are transforming the story to a very typical western archetype - when the original story was quite well and did not really need translation. But someone most likely said "They will /think/ we are ripping off that Matt Daemon movie, they wont know it ripped off our source! so CHANGE IT"

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Initially I thought they were going to turn this into another sequel franchise, and probably stop the first movie before we hit the Motorball stuff. Most likely, quitting after the Hugo arc ("You can make it, Hugo! Just keep climbing!")

And even then, there's so much material that I figured they were gonna have to cut the story to the bone...

...and then I see there's footage of Motorball Alita too? Da fuq? I don't know how this isn't going to be worse than the OVAs, when it comes to smashing the story into a single movie.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cameron's already transitioned into full blown Avatar mode, there was never going to be any sequels to this.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Cameron's already transitioned into full blown Avatar mode, there was never going to be any sequels to this.
He initially planned on at least 2 movies, but admittedly that was nearly 15 years ago when he still promised that he'd be directing it.

But he's going to put all the time and energy into a ridiculous smurfs/fern gully franchise that I don't think anyone ever wanted. FFS.

Siliconemelons

OVA spoiler and remark

I wonder how they are going to portray the dude that gets owned trying to get up to the rich area on the cable or whatever... in the anime - while the characters around the story had a reaction the "worlds" reaction to it was, meh...moron...carry on - it was not as bad though as the aeon flux scene of similar nature when the lady tries to ninja her way passed the lazer gate and gets her arms and legs lobbed off just to be then sat in a assembly line making the thing she hates for the rest of her life...lol

So I wonder if they will keep that "life is cheap" and "in dystopian future, no one gives a shit" type scene

Malakriss

Trailer #3 - shows off more of the action and CGI scenes

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

I think they are just putting out trailers to make her eyes a few pixies smaller each time so they don't admit a full rollback on it lol

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
woooooooooooooooof

that is some uncanny valley shit with those eyes. How can you NOT complain about that? My god, that's HIDEOUS.

Alita was well drawn. No fan of the anime should defend that atrocity.

I guess the best you can say is that it fits in with the subtext of body horror. If that was the intent then well done. But it's a little like intending to have the smelliest fart.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Exec 1: "Kids these days are really into those aneemays. What can we put into this to appeal to the kids"

Exec2: "Well, all the girls in them have big cartoony eyes"

Exec 1: "Brilliant! Let's go with that!"

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If big eyes are the only complaint this movie has, then the movie did fantastic. Really?? Big eyes are what bothers you? She is not human. Should could have had eight eyes. If I judged movies based solely on how a character is portrayed from written work, I would not even bother looking at the previews, much less go to the theater. I am much more interested in the character dynamic and story. Now if all her face was, was one giant eyeball, then that might be a little odd. Her eyes are fine for what she is.

I have no idea how well the story is done but the effects look remarkable. That alone keeps it on my radar as a possible theater experience along with the fact that James Cameron is involved.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

4K+ CGI by itself doesn't have the draw that Avatar did back in 2009 and I can't imagine an anime -> western live action will draw a wide audience either. Probably doesn't help that there's actually competition in February between Lego Movie 2 a couple weeks before and How to Train Your Dragon 3 the week after.

Goatface

wonder if she has been re-rendered or just some filter on the trailer
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Last edited:

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If big eyes are the only complaint this movie has, then the movie did fantastic. Really?? Big eyes are what bothers you? She is not human. Should could have had eight eyes. If I judged movies based solely on how a character is portrayed from written work, I would not even bother looking at the previews, much less go to the theater. I am much more interested in the character dynamic and story. Now if all her face was, was one giant eyeball, then that might be a little odd. Her eyes are fine for what she is.

I have no idea how well the story is done but the effects look remarkable. That alone keeps it on my radar as a possible theater experience along with the fact that James Cameron is involved.
That's great and all, but this really boils down to an Uncanny Valley issue.

If you had told me in advance that Gally was going to have "Big Eyes" at any point in the 10-15 years or so that I've been looking forward to the movie, I doubt I would have thought of it as a potential issue. It isn't like fans have been sitting on their hands, just waiting for the trailers to drop so that they could bitch about her eyes.

It's one of those things that doesn't translate seamlessly from the source material to a movie. You can argue until you're blue in the face, and it wont matter. The source material doesn't matter. It's literally people reacting to a relatively life-like representation with what is, to them, a creepy unnatural feature that throws them off. There's simply lots of weird shit that you can get away with in manga that isn't going to translate to film very well, if at all.

Another potential issue is the portrayal of Panzer Kunst and Machine Klatsch (SP?) when performed by relatively small/light protagonists against much larger/heavier antagonists. You can accept it for what it is in the manga, but translate it to the big screen, and people might be left with this nagging feeling that the physics are 'off', because frankly...it is. You can do a lot with special effects and CGI, but make a character go through a complicated series of maneuvers that seem to defy physics, only to punch a 5 ton cyborg 20 stories into the air, and people watching that sequence on film are going to subconsciously KNOW that there's something 'wrong' with it.

I think people really underestimate what artists can get away with in 2D media, versus films, and I'm not just talking about the Giant Fighting Penis Monster that showed up in the later issues. (though that's pretty fucking LOL, admittedly)

battle-angel-alita-last-order-982224.jpg

• 2Worf

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
They should make a shout out to Cowboy Bebop where she looks up to the stars and says 'see you in space cowboy'.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf