Altered Carbon

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just canceled Netflix but I love this universe and everything Morgan does, also he just got banned from Twitter for shitting on the Trans mafia so I will have to resub, run through this and cancel again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Poe is awesome.

I also thought the actor that plays Quellcrist Falconer did a wonderful job. She wasnt annoying, and was very convincing in her ultra killer persona.

As a black woman, 95 % of the time this would fail or be annoying. She pulled it off though. Coil head lady did not, not even close. She was probably the worse actor out of the entire cast.

The governor has a sweet ass too.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's the verdict? I liked the first season well enough, it was better than most of the drek on Netflix. Would resub for a month just for this if it didn't drop in quality.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would rate it about the same as last season, quality wise. Although, since it's not as new, some of it's flaws may stand out a bit more.

My biggest issue was that it felt like the writers had DBZ syndrome, where the fights had to try to top everything that came before, and it was a bit cheesy at times. I could see this going the way of the Marco Polo TV show, where the action sequences get so ludicrous, it really ruins it (for me).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Would rate the early part of season 1 as better. The sister stuff in season 1 as worse.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Season 2 felt really small. The back half of the episodes pretty much all take place in the same cave, and then an airport terminal.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Do they ever explain how they have FTL communication but not FTL travel in the books? I don't recall it ever being explained in the show.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Do they ever explain how they have FTL communication but not FTL travel in the books? I don't recall it ever being explained in the show.

They never really specify exactly what the mechanism behind the interstellar communication really is, other than it's essentially extremely expensive and most normies don't or can't really ever use the needlecast stuff to "'travel" off world. There's some brief hand waving about the power required to send the data transmissions but not much more detail beyond that.

The "martians" or whatever they were presumably had actual FTL travel, and the communication systems are built off that, but they were never able to reverse engineer any kind of actual travel system out of it.

Sterling

El Presidente
They never really specify exactly what the mechanism behind the interstellar communication really is, other than it's essentially extremely expensive and most normies don't or can't really ever use the needlecast stuff to "'travel" off world. There's some brief hand waving about the power required to send the data transmissions but not much more detail beyond that.

The "martians" or whatever they were presumably had actual FTL travel, and the communication systems are built off that, but they were never able to reverse engineer any kind of actual travel system out of it.
Martians = Elders? or whatever? I guess handwaving is better than coming up with some total bullshit reason.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Martians = Elders? or whatever? I guess handwaving is better than coming up with some total bullshit reason.

Yea, they aren't really sure what they even were. They are a bit more of a thing in the books, as there are like ruins of old bases/cities, some abandoned spacecraft left from them even.

They have been gone for apparently hundreds or thousands of years though and they don't have any idea why, they just kind of find all the wreckage while trying to colonize the closest habitable worlds. Harlans world for example is orbited by like a huge array of automated alien war machines that blast anything past a certain size/velocity out of the sky, except for like one tiny hole at a specific point that the original Harlan found to land the first colony ship. I haven't finished S2 yet to know if they get in to all that or not though?

The only info you get about the hypercast system though is that it's somewhat alien tech based and requires enormous amounts of energy, otherwise it's mostly just magic to allow for the clone-based world to function the way he wanted it to.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

They didnt need FTL travel in books. They could 'Needlecast' the consciousness from a stack across the galaxy and upload into a local sleeve. Kovacs biggest 'skills' was not going schizo getting downloaded all the time into unfamiliar body and adapting to it quickly. Its part of what makes an Envoy an Envoy. In the books not all sleeves were created equal, some had bio-upgrades and enhanced genes to be better than an off the shelf human. Lotta sensory upgrades.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

IIRC the Needlecast tech and Stack tech was reverse engineered from abandoned Martian 'artifacts' scattered all over the galaxy and abandoned. Martians could bend space time with portals. Book 2 was all about scavenging Martian tech

iannis

Musty Nester
Maybe something like Orson Card's "Ansible" idea. It's bunk, but the idea was entangled particles that were spread to FTL distances and manipulated. You can use it to transfer information but not anything else.

Good enough for science fiction, not good enough for physicists.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
They didnt need FTL travel in books. They could 'Needlecast' the consciousness from a stack across the galaxy and upload into a local sleeve. Kovacs biggest 'skills' was not going schizo getting downloaded all the time into unfamiliar body and adapting to it quickly. Its part of what makes an Envoy an Envoy. In the books not all sleeves were created equal, some had bio-upgrades and enhanced genes to be better than an off the shelf human. Lotta sensory upgrades.
I mean I'm aware of all of this. I was just curious if they explained the tech for needlecasting etc at all. Sounds like it wasn't which is probably better than coming up with some real stupid shit that would just make no actual sense.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I mean I'm aware of all of this. I was just curious if they explained the tech for needlecasting etc at all. Sounds like it wasn't which is probably better than coming up with some real stupid shit that would just make no actual sense.

One of the interesting angles in the books is Envoys would needlecast in as a small force to a planet and use their 'empathy' skills to manipulate locals to their side and build a local guerrilla army to put down insurrections. This was faster than bringing warships into orbit.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like it wasn't which is probably better than coming up with some real stupid shit that would just make no actual sense.

One of the few authors who didnt fuck up the concept of FTL travel was Peter F Hamilton in the Commonwealth series. A lot of time was spent on the back story of how the tech came about and the expansion across the galaxy. He managed to have it happen over 100s of years and still include some the same characters across the whole arc. That series is as good as the Kovacs books imo.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
One of the interesting angles in the books is Envoys would needlecast in as a small force to a planet and use their 'empathy' skills to manipulate locals to their side and build a local guerrilla army to put down insurrections. This was faster than bringing warships into orbit.

This is the major failing of the show to me. I have no idea what they gained by making the Envoys in to Quellist supersoldiers? It just muddles up the story and undermines the entire theme of the rebellion.

The Envoys were the jackboot of the Protectorate, used to put down rebellions like Quells, and were capable of projecting military force across distances previously thought not possible. That made Kovachs defecting a really big fuckin deal, but instead we're stuck with CTAC just being generic stormtroopers?

They also basically gloss over the concept of sleeve sickness in a big way, or just ignore it entirely when convenient so the impact of Envoys is greatly reduced.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This was meh/ok to good, I'm sorry they skipped another book in the series to go right to the end of the books. I should put this on my list to read, as the world seems great. The actor playing Poe and the character are amazing; The "side" cast and Kinneman was my favorite bit about the first season and while they preserved the best bits of that by bringing back all of those actors in one way or the other, the "new" team, although not bad, didn't gel for me in the same way. Mackie was better than I thought he would be, to be honest; I really like him but didn't have super high hopes for him in this role but he did ok. His delivery varied from scene to scene, sometimes I would see Takeshi Kovacs and sometimes I would see "CUT THE CHECK".

I was kind of disappointed in the story, which offered no surprises; all of the twists you could see coming in the first episode. Really, neither did last season but it was new, so it was harder to suss out. I had hoped they would do something different with (main CTAC guy) but I guess narratively that was as much as for which could be hoped given his previous actions. I am hoping for a season 3 but with no books and the way they left it, I am now not sure that is going to happen. Here's to hoping people tune in and we get one.