amanda berry found..more importantly, awesome black man in cleveland.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Yikes.. yikes. She is cute.

Michelle Knight looks and sounds like she is downright retarded though. Not really sure what the goal there was.
How about shes an adult with the education of someone who has been held in captivity since she was a child.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm pretty sure she was the oldest one when she was kidnapped (18 I think). She just has a learning disability or some kind of mental health issue.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He's accepting a plea deal right now, he pleads guilty and get life without parole plus 1,000 years.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Good thing they sentenced him to 1000 years on top of his entire life. Keep his ghost in it's place, can't have it going and haunting people.

iannis

Musty Nester
1,000 years. lol.

Aren't lawyers ashamed to allow the laws they argue to get this absurd?

I kid, I kid. I know they're not. Don't you lawyers think that's maybe something you should be ashamed of? In order to actually keep someone in jail until he dies, you have to argue that he should stay there for 1,000 years?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I kind of like it. It brings an epic feel to the case. I'd rather they just hung him in the town square though.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
You said it Tuco... "epic" And this guy gets to live and be famous for this unique punishment. Almost seems to be a reward.

Or we could execute the sick fuck and wash our hands of it.

And for those worried that a trial would just bring more pain for the victims....consider that they now get to live in fear that he's still alive, and could one day be coming for his daughter.

spronk

FPS noob
its actually cheaper to keep someone in prison for life than to take them through the death row process. I don't really give a shit either way but we do know innocent people have been put to death and/or are serving time in prison, so unless we get a mind reading device that is certain someone is guilty I'd prefer keeping em in jail until they die. Every single reddit "I was in jail, AMA" has said the same thing: they would rather be dead than be in prison, its a shitty shitty shitty place so yeah I don't think anyone is "escaping into jail". Although the one surprise was how all of them also said rape is a lot less common than portrayed in tv/movies, but drug availability and usage is much, much higher. Now some of the European jails on the other hand are fucking better than how I have lived half my life.

what I never understood about this case is the two brothers, I guess both are innocent? but how the fuck do you not realize your brother has been keeping 3 women as slaves for years and years.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
maybe they intend to keep his corpse in jail for the 1000 years and they'll make dudes randomly have him as a cell partner. They have to bathe him and pleasure him daily. Scared straight

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The thing with the death penalty, which I support in spirit, but not as it is currently used, is to put another level of "guilty" higher than our current standard only available for death penalty cases. Which would be something along the lines of "not only is this motherfucker guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but we got a video, a cell conversation, DNA evidence from 2 labs, and 3 witnesses to the event". It will never happen of course, because it would defacto infer any other verdicts used under the standard "beyond a reasonable doubt" are of less certainty (which, they are if you look at all the innocent people released from prison, but we can't actually admit that). But wouldn't it be nice to have this sort of express lane for certain criminals? I'm sure, knowing our fucked up system, it would still be abused somehow, which makes me admit as much as you'd try, nothing will ever be foolproof, but one can dream.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The problem with the death penalty is how long it takes. If you are going to sentence someone to death, fucking stick to your guns and do it the same day or within a reasonable time frame. Don't keep the fuck in prison for 20 years. Maybe if the entire process wasn't bullshit people would take the death penalty and its sentencing much more seriously.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I can't agree with that at all. As much as I understand the frustration (and I do, believe me) there have been a shit ton of people on death row found to be innocent, so the last thing I want to do is speed up the process if that's the ONLY change made.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The thing with the death penalty, which I support in spirit, but not as it is currently used, is to put another level of "guilty" higher than our current standard only available for death penalty cases. Which would be something along the lines of "not only is this motherfucker guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but we got a video, a cell conversation, DNA evidence from 2 labs, and 3 witnesses to the event". It will never happen of course, because it would defacto infer any other verdicts used under the standard "beyond a reasonable doubt" are of less certainty (which, they are if you look at all the innocent people released from prison, but we can't actually admit that). But wouldn't it be nice to have this sort of express lane for certain criminals? I'm sure, knowing our fucked up system, it would still be abused somehow, which makes me admit as much as you'd try, nothing will ever be foolproof, but one can dream.
Even applying this standard, it would only prevent mistakes. It would not help the people who are railroaded. I'm willing to bet that most of the innocent people who have been put to death were railroaded.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The problem with the death penalty is how long it takes. If you are going to sentence someone to death, fucking stick to your guns and do it the same day or within a reasonable time frame. Don't keep the fuck in prison for 20 years. Maybe if the entire process wasn't bullshit people would take the death penalty and its sentencing much more seriously.
The true problem is no one who deserves it gets it. Laughner? Insane. Holmes? Insane. Eric Rudolph? pled down. On and on so many degenerate pieces of shit who without doubt murdered others yet will never face the death penalty.

The fact that innocent people have been put to death is abhorrent but just goes to show how backwards and broken our legal system is. Think about it, if we have executed innocent people just how many innocent have been jailed/punished for crimes other than murder?