Andor

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Make up whatever excuses you want, the ratings don't lie. I'm about as big of a Star Wars fan as you'll find, and I found this show just ok. Now compare that to my uncle, who is your typical middle American Joe Sixpack. Loves him some Top Gun Maverick, and enjoyed Star Wars back in the 70s and 80s. He gave the show a shot and noped out after the first episode. Said it was boring and he couldn't really tell what was going on. It's one thing to lose me, but if you've lost middle America on something with as much broad appeal as Star Wars, your show failed.
Here it is. The worst take on the thread. You won now go back to watching such entertaining rating breaking shows such as The Voice and NCIS.

Your opinion is everything that is wrong with modern media. You don't have to broadly appeal to an audience to have it be a great piece of work.

You'd fit right in with the writers of ROP.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Fadaar

That guy
My dad is the same way and gets bored easily so I totally understand where he's coming from. I gave up on him years ago when it comes to tv/movies.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Something can be extremely well written and still be boring or lack pacing. This show never learned how to do an episode. Might've made for a fine read in book format, but in the visual medium, it was quite poorly paced. Like I said early on, the first 3 episodes should have been combined into 1. That holds true for almost the entire season. Over all, I feel nothing for the characters, and the only intrigue comes from it being in the Star Wars universe. Strip that away, and the show is pretty lackluster. It relies too heavily on the viewer connecting it to the greater established universe.
I watched this based solely on praise in this thread, and the connection to Chernobyl people which was great. I don’t really like the Star Wars universe much, as I’ve never read any books, just watched some movies and shows and most of it was set in a cool universe but bad overall. Boring diplomatic scenes, over the top acrobatic light saber stuff, hot garbage acting and writing and macguffins, annoying characters, just bleh.

This show though, really lands with showing how oppressive the empire is (something the shows have been pretty lacking in previously) has great acting, props, story, etc.

TLDR: Your opinion is terrible and wrong.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 6 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Here it is. The worst take on the thread. You won now go back to watching such entertaining rating breaking shows such as The Voice and NCIS.

Your opinion is everything that is wrong with modern media. You don't have to broadly appeal to an audience to have it be a great piece of work.

You'd fit right in with the writers of ROP.
Case in point (from the Lord of the Rings thread):

Once again the doomsayers were wrong. Show is good so far. Better than the GoT spinoff.

There's no accounting for taste

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I especially liked the part where her Eulogy hologram thing was talking about the Empire and how totalitarian regimes maintain control (or don't).

Very relevant for modern day.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Apparently they originally had Maarva say "Fuck the empire" at the end, but Disney made them change it to "fight". Personally, I think "fight the empire" is a better call to action anyway.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Apparently they originally had Maarva say "Fuck the empire" at the end, but Disney made them change it to "fight". Personally, I think "fight the empire" is a better call to action anyway.
Yeah, shows like this using modern slang/curse words kind of throws you out of the world for a second. I like when creators make their own universe’s slang words. Then they can use them all they want without actually being offensive/bad for kids and it helps establish the world being different from ours.

“Blood and bloody ashes” “light!” Are a couple that have stuck with me from wheel of time as done well. Malazan had some good ones.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah, shows like this using modern slang/curse words kind of throws you out of the world for a second. I like when creators make their own universe’s slang words. Then they can use them all they want without actually being offensive/bad for kids and it helps establish the world being different from ours.

“Blood and bloody ashes” “light!” Are a couple that have stuck with me from wheel of time as done well. Malazan had some good ones.

while it was a little jarring at first Firefly using Chinese swear words worked in an in-universe way

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Man this was great overall, everyone has their own motivations and act like people. I am convinced the best star wars has nothing to do with the movies.

• 7Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The sets, music, and acting are extremely well done. The pacing is shit, though. Just too fucking slow and too much waiting for the interesting characters to pay off (Skarsguard and the Imp ISB chick). Cut out space jew simp, cut out hindu space lesbian rebel, dial back the Mon Mothma shit a bunch, and shorten the prison arc to one episode. Same story gets told, but without a lot of filler that slows it to a crawl. Its near perfection on every level, it just moves way too slow.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The sets, music, and acting are extremely well done. The pacing is shit, though. Just too fucking slow and too much waiting for the interesting characters to pay off (Skarsguard and the Imp ISB chick). Cut out space jew simp, cut out hindu space lesbian rebel, dial back the Mon Mothma shit a bunch, and shorten the prison arc to one episode. Same story gets told, but without a lot of filler that slows it to a crawl. Its near perfection on every level, it just moves way too slow.

I don't think this show was as amazing as it's made out to be. But compared to all Disney SW apart from Rogue One, then it's almost infinitely better. I barely remember what happened in the first 3 episodes because they struggled to hold my attention - but cutting down the prison arc is nonsense, especially as Andy Serkis was one of the best things about the show, plus the "I can't swim" and post credits scene are lessened if that story was told in one episode

Jive Turkey

Karen
I don't think some of you understand how much the 'boring' shit bolsters the entire series.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If you can sit and watch an arc at a time, I don't mind the pacing as much. Drawn out over weeks, it's pretty much shit and is the #1 reason it has poor viewership. Now that it is completely out, I would expect the numbers to rise.

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
mmhmm

Andor.jpg
viewship numbers, Sherlock. Devastatingly low. Especially since Disney has been trying to cook the books to cover low viewership.

• 2Garbage
  • 1Seriously?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I just skimmed this thread, is this worth watching? Last few pages make me think so.
Really late response to this because I have mostly avoided this thread until I was able to finish the season. This show is better than most Star Wars content and it does it with out lightsabers and the force. It starts very slow, I think it took about three episodes for me to feel invested.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
can someone tell me what was the deal w/ emo officer and mom? or was it all supposed to culminate into some love story w/ the evil blond officer?
cuz i ff his scenes and the lesbos in the coffee shop

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
can someone tell me what was the deal w/ emo officer and mom? or was it all supposed to culminate into some love story w/ the evil blond officer?

I have no clue what space simp was doing

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If you ff through those scenes why do you need to know what they were about?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf