Andor

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I took time off in the new year. Saw this show was getting good reviews, so I finished it.

Show was pretty good. Two things I didn't like: the prison story, and the long as fuck monologues. The prison story felt like a digression; they didn't know what to do with Andor after he got paid so they decided to tell some other-story, and Andor just becomes a side-character in this other-story to try to make it relevant to an Andor tv show. I got some real FFXIV story-telling vibes from the monologues in Andor where the characters give long idealistic speeches (that to me come off as naive), but I guess people really love that shit.
I think they're supposed to sound naive. The show is trying to show the dark side of the Rebellion, in a way. And demonstrate that all the idealism in the world is no substitute for action.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
I took time off in the new year. Saw this show was getting good reviews, so I finished it.

Show was pretty good. Two things I didn't like: the prison story, and the long as fuck monologues. The prison story felt like a digression; they didn't know what to do with Andor after he got paid so they decided to tell some other-story, and Andor just becomes a side-character in this other-story to try to make it relevant to an Andor tv show. I got some real FFXIV story-telling vibes from the monologues in Andor where the characters give long idealistic speeches (that to me come off as naive), but I guess people really love that shit.
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

• 1Solidarity

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That.... Makes no sense. The Jedi High Council of the Republic is in living memory of many of the characters in A New Hope. Does Gilroy think people just like... Stopped talking about recent history?
There are no perfect analogous situations from real life were we could really compare their situation to ours, but think how ignorant the average person is about history. They want to paint the people of Ferrix as living a hard life, where there is little time to learn of their own history, let alone anything else, because they are always trying to make ends meet.

Trying to compare it with our recent past:
How many people in any of the coalition countries could tell you who the warring parties in Desert Storm were? Of those, how many could tell you who the leader of Iraq was or what religion the ruling party was? If they are far enough out on the rim, the Clone Wars might have been as inconsequential to Ferrix, as Desert Storm was to most coalition county citizens.

Maybe countries like Bolivia or Uganda (but more stable) would be a better example. So far out of the way that they don't really get touched during the bigger conflicts, and the majority of the people may not care about much, outside of their own local region (I think this is true for most places, really).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

The best example would be international vs country vs local knowledge

Your average person’s awareness or understanding of events and entities beyond their immediate vicinity is going to be proportional to their level of education or interest in that sort of thing. The further away from local it gets, the less knowledge or awareness they have. You might be aware the UN exists, but you might be unaware they can have a peacekeeping force for example.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
There are no perfect analogous situations from real life were we could really compare their situation to ours, but think how ignorant the average person is about history. They want to paint the people of Ferrix as living a hard life, where there is little time to learn of their own history, let alone anything else, because they are always trying to make ends meet.

How many people in any of the coalition countries could tell you who the warring parties in Desert Storm were? Of those, how many could tell you who the leader of Iraq was or what religion the ruling party was? If they are far enough out on the rim, the Clone Wars might have been as inconsequential to Ferrix, as Desert Storm was to most coalition county citizens.

Maybe countries like Bolivia or Uganda (but more stable) would be a better example. So far out of the way that they don't really get touched during the bigger conflicts, and the majority of the people may not care about much, outside of their own local region (I think this is true for most places, really).

His explanation wasn't localised only to Ferrix, but galaxy wide

"I mean, how many beings are in that gigantic galaxy? I think the vast majority of all of the creatures and beings and sentient things that are in the galaxy, I think the knowledge of the Jedi and the lightsaber is a pretty small number."

• 1Like

Burns

His explanation wasn't localised only to Ferrix, but galaxy wide

"I mean, how many beings are in that gigantic galaxy? I think the vast majority of all of the creatures and beings and sentient things that are in the galaxy, I think the knowledge of the Jedi and the lightsaber is a pretty small number."
Yea, that might be a bit more of a hard sell, at least after watching The Clone Wars and Rebels, where people seemed to at least know of Jedi, even if they had never met one before. I guess you could (if being generous) write it off as the Empire scrubbing that information from the holonet.

It's hard to know what internal (lore) directions they were told, about what parts of the galaxy know what, or if it was even asked. It's obvious that most or all of the KK team have not watched anything outside of the movies, at most. Even if the Andor team was given a free hand, I would assume they still had questions about lore that they sent to KK.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yea, that might be a bit more of a hard sell, at least after watching The Clone Wars and Rebels, where people seemed to at least know of Jedi, even if they had never met one before. I guess you could (if being generous) write it off as the Empire scrubbing that information from the holonet.

It's hard to know what internal (lore) directions they were told, about what parts of the galaxy know what, or if it was even asked. It's obvious that most or all of the KK team have not watched anything outside of the movies, at most. Even if the Andor team was given a free hand, I would assume they still had questions about lore that they sent to KK.

I do think it was both a shitty and unnecessary explanation. He could have just gone "in this time period the only Jedi alive were meant to be Vader, Palapatine, Obi-Wan and Yoda, the Skywalker babies and Ahsoka."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

There are 19 years between episode 3 and episode 4. The Twin Towers fell 21 years ago. Pretty sure they would ALL remember the fall of the Republic...

Burns

There are 19 years between episode 3 and episode 4. The Twin Towers fell 21 years ago. Pretty sure they would ALL remember the fall of the Republic...
I would doubt that many of those under 25, in the US, could tell you much of anything about the twin towers. A good chunk would probably even get the country wrong.

Even for those under 30, less than a quarter could probably name the organization that claimed responsibility for it.

But yea, to say that the number of people that still remembered the Jedi was "pretty small" is probably wrong. For outer rim Ferrix, it could make sense, but for the galaxy as a whole, nah. I would hope that it was just an off the cuff comment that the director didn't really think much about, before giving the answer in one of the fly by interviews on the red carpet.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I would doubt that many of those under 25, in the US, could tell you much of anything about the twin towers. A good chunk would probably even get the country wrong.

Even for those under 30, less than a quarter could probably name the organization that claimed responsibility for it.

But yea, to say that the number of people that still remembered the Jedi was "pretty small" is probably wrong. For outer rim Ferrix, it could make sense, but for the galaxy as a whole, nah. I would hope that it was just an off the cuff comment that the director didn't really think much about, before giving the answer in one of the fly by interviews on the red carpet.
Brother I can tell you a lot about Pearl Harbor, and I barely paid attention to that in school. You are really underestimating people. 19 years is a very short time when it comes to cultural knowledge.

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>

I've always been skeptical about how no one knew about the jedi, but then you have Han Solo in A new Hope, "I aint heard of that shit," and the guys from the Death Star speaking of the force as an "ancient religion" and Vader's "sorcerers ways" and you have to start wondering how George Lucas fucked this up.

I've made peace with it by explaining it away as totalitarian propaganda aided along by the Dark Side of the Force to create a memory hole.

Burns

Brother I can tell you a lot about Pearl Harbor, and I barely paid attention to that in school. You are really underestimating people. 19 years is a very short time when it comes to cultural knowledge.
And I can say you are vastly overestimating them. I can find examples after examples of idiots getting quizzed on the street about simple questions, and getting them wrong; which are as meaningful as "I know a lot about pearl harbor, so a bunch of other people should know about 9/11." I am sure there are test scores out there showing how various ages groups are doing in various areas, if one really wanted to take the time to look.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
And I can say you are vastly overestimating them. I can find examples after examples of idiots getting quizzed on the street about simple questions, and getting them wrong; which are as meaningful as "I know a lot about pearl harbor, so a bunch of other people should know about 9/11." I am sure there are test scores out there showing how various ages groups are doing in various areas, if one really wanted to take the time to look.
Yeah the internet likes to highlight extreme examples. Why would anyone bother uploading a video of a bunch of people getting the answers right? They'd get no views.

• 1Like

Cybsled

The more likely explanation as to why most people we meet in the shows/movies knows what a Jedi is: They don't want to rehash exposition every single time they run into a random person.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There would definitely be "Bush did 9/11" style memes... "Yoda did Order 66" or whatever... Bouncing around from vidscreen to vidscreen for at least the next 20 years after the fall of the High Republic. Just like here on Earth, even tho less than half the US population used the internet in 2001, and most of the ones that did just checked their email every few days or whatever. Communications technology in Star Wars is far more robust than it was when the Twin Towers fell. People would have talked about something as big as *the fall of the Republic that ruled most of the galaxy* a lot. And the death of most of the Jedis was a huge part of the fall of the Republic. Certainly BEFORE the fall of the Republic, most Republic citizens were aware of the Jedi High Council, no?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's a galaxy of how many billions of people and how many jedi? And they don't seem to have mass media technology, so, yeah.

99% of people in Star Wars outside of the handful of very urban worlds seem exceptionally poor/working class. If you didn't live on a handful of core worlds, no one you ever met would have ever seen a jedi.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
There are over a trillion people on Coruscant alone. Jedi are a very very small percentage of the total Star Wars population.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's a galaxy of how many billions of people and how many jedi? And they don't seem to have mass media technology, so, yeah.

99% of people in Star Wars outside of the handful of very urban worlds seem exceptionally poor/working class. If you didn't live on a handful of core worlds, no one you ever met would have ever seen a jedi.
They watch the HoloNet for news on Rebels. Wiki says HoloNet News was extant during the Republic, the Empire, and the New Republic.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There are over a trillion people on Coruscant alone. Jedi are a very very small percentage of the total Star Wars population.
Navy SEALs are a very small percentage of the total American population.