Arcane

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Just started watching this show this weekend. Holy shit! Excellent. Ground breaking. Moving. Love it.

A buddy of mine said it best, “This is what Blizzard should’ve done/could’ve been.”

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Pretty damned solid show. Animation is awesome...they are clearly showing off and enjoying it.
They seem to have given the writers free reign and didn’t nail them down to the shitty existing lore.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Just started watching this show this weekend. Holy shit! Excellent. Ground breaking. Moving. Love it.

A buddy of mine said it best, “This is what Blizzard should’ve done/could’ve been.”
Yeah the saddest thing about Blizzard now is knowing that they couldn't make an animated series or even a single movie at this level now even if they wanted to.

The Warcraft movie was such a squandered opportunity. Not even Denis Villeneuve or Ridley Scott could've improved on a movie made by the Blizzard Cinematics people who care about the material the most. Everyone had been clamoring for them to just take the WoW cinematic team and have them make the movie instead of outsourcing it to Hollywood types who would prioritize "reaching broader audiences" over validating fan expectations.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Is this worth watching? Idgaf about LoL or whatever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
y i nevr playg game loved show
Man Of Steel Ok GIF

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

Not just Arcane but Riot in general right now is the company I think most people thought Blizzard should've been instead whatever mess it is now. Riot has multiple popular games. And with this show it is clear they are building up the lore to get people hyped for the MMO coming eventually. Riot is about an hour drive from Blizzard and hired a bunch of former Blizzard employees, so kinda makes sense they are filling the void left by Blizzard.

• 3Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Do you need to be this plastered to enjoy it or what?
Only 6 episodes out of the 9 total. The last three come out on Saturday the 20th and riot is doing some series finale kinda event across all their games (and even other games that aren't theirs like Fortnite and Among Us).

But you only really need the first minute or so of the first episode to see if it's not your vibe. Objectively the best animated show on Netflix though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Every other animation studio in current year should commit sudoku in shame compared to this, holy fuck.

• 3Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I’m usually not big on animated shows but this is awesome. It is also of note that I know nothing about league lore (but I do play occasionally).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You guys are far to up your own asses on this. I agree the animation is very well done but I would still argue Demon Slayer is just as smooth and fluid if not better. The stylized shading ends up working well for this but I wouldn't want to see it in other anime.

If we are simply judging on western animation it's one of the best but I feel like some are just riding the high of finding a gem in a river of shit that is Netflix.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You guys are far to up your own asses on this. I agree the animation is very well done but I would still argue Demon Slayer is just as smooth and fluid if not better. The stylized shading ends up working well for this but I wouldn't want to see it in other anime.

If we are simply judging on western animation it's one of the best but I feel like some are just riding the high of finding a gem in a river of shit that is Netflix.
So you call it a gem and then complain that people are calling it a gem? It is indeed one of the best animations seen. Disney should be looking this way. That is how good the animation is.

• 3Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

So you call it a gem and then complain that people are calling it a gem? It is indeed one of the best animations seen. Disney should be looking this way. That is how good the animation is.

I am actually more pleased with the world building, story, character depth and overall composition. It's all very well done. Weakest part of the entire series is Imagine Dragons.

"Animation" (the movement) is about as good as it can get for all studios. You might mean the stylization, In which case - yes it's very unique & good but is NOT what Disney should be doing. They have their own "Disney" style which works very well for their target audience. Into the Spiderverse was unique and is highly praised as well. There is a lot of room out there for unique styles by different studios. Blizzard had a chance to do something but dropped the ball. Riot has utilized this style for a very long time. Every short video is such a treat, now we see it in feature-length form.

"Awaken" is still my favorite cinematic by them. I would love to see more of the Riven/Draven story in feature length form.

"Warriors" is probably my 2nd, nice Vi & Caitlyn clip vs Urgot in this too, which has all new meaning after seeing Arcane.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The technical aspect of the show are simply outstanding the art direction(which can be subjective), the smoothness and quality of the animation, the voice acting which is great across the board.

For me the best part has been the story and worldbuilding. I was only familiar with Runeterra via Legends of Runeterra card game and the animated for that game.

The show made me interested in Runeterra the setting, I've actually went and watched most if not all of the shorts related to Runeterra(mostly LoL shorts), and even watched some video by fans about the lore.

The show has managed to create an interest in me for the Runeterra setting which is probably a big win for Riot. While I was looking forward to the Runeterra MMO before, now I'm genuinely excited about it.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I mean, it's not like Riot couldn't wipe the floor using a traditional cel-shaded anime style. They're owned by an Asian media megacorp worth over half a Trillion dollars that earned every single penny of it by building gaming franchises; it would be weird if they couldn't rock a legit anime style. Fun fact: Arcane isn't even airing on Netflix in many Asian countries, including China. There it airs on their parent company's rival streamer, Tencent Video.

Even when they're doing tongue-in-cheek fake sailor moon shit, LoL's anime is also objectively better than any recent releases from any other anime studio on the planet:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
"Warriors" is probably my 2nd, nice Vi & Caitlyn clip vs Urgot in this too, which has all new meaning after seeing Arcane.

I like that song but I really dig the cover of "Rise" they made for their new turn-based RPG that came out on Steam early access (like, today):

The original version was for the 2018 world championships cinematics performed by Glitch Mob:

• 1Like