Arcane

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Forbes has an interesting postmortem on how the story about Arcane's overperformance is dwarfed only by the relatively little coverage it's gotten:

But one thing he didn't mention is despite how massive Arcane's streaming hours have been, which is still growing unlike other recent Netflix Originals, those numbers are missing one colossal market: China. Arcane didn't stream on Netflix in China and Tencent hasn't released the exact numbers. So although Arcane hit #1 in over 56+ regions and is still sustaining that in 40+, that's without the viewership numbers from China, easily LoL's largest market.

Last edited:

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
This is why he's CEO. They only have the one racket. They could've shit the bed and "cleaned up" LoL and made it accessible to normies while alienating their core gamers. Or they could play the fuck out of the hand they were dealt.

• 2Like
  • 1Clown World
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
This is why he's CEO. They only have the one racket. They could've shit the bed and "cleaned up" LoL and made it accessible to normies while alienating their core gamers. Or they could play the fuck out of the hand they were dealt.

When they did they post-success round of "Loved Arcane? Want to play in Runeterra?" marketing, they specifically left off League, instead pointing to Wild Rift and Legends of Runeterra.

When asked why, they said that Wildrift had a much better new player on-boarding system (which is probably true), but you know he wanted to say "cause League has the worlds most toxic community and no one has fun, yet cant stop coming back for more punishment"

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
When they did they post-success round of "Loved Arcane? Want to play in Runeterra?" marketing, they specifically left off League, instead pointing to Wild Rift and Legends of Runeterra.

When asked why, they said that Wildrift had a much better new player on-boarding system (which is probably true), but you know he wanted to say "cause League has the worlds most toxic community and no one has fun, yet cant stop coming back for more punishment"
I still enjoy it, though not quite as much as I used to. I've always thought the "toxic community" thing was hilariously overblown. It's nothing like old-school barrens chat or any given nanosecond on 4chan or SA.

What I think they do realize, though they would never admit, is what toxicity is there isn't a function of the community, but a function of the game's dynamic itself. I've had table-flipping rages from bullshit ganks where I transformed into a super saiyan of toxicity on anyone and everyone for a few minutes. I'm never like that in real life and it's shocking how some stupid WC3 mod can turn me into a puppy-raping omegachad klansman. But that's the game they made, and that's what it's capable of doing to anyone who plays it.

You could get a busload of tibetan monks into LoL and they'd become toxic as fuck in no time too.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You would never think it without trying it, but I ended up playing a lot more Wild RIft than I expected. It's just a better game at this point. Everything about it is a much more pleasant experience.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You would never think it without trying it, but I ended up playing a lot more Wild RIft than I expected. It's just a better game at this point. Everything about it is a much more pleasant experience.
I don't know if league has it now but the whole picking a role to queue as and ban system as a standard feature is great.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
role / bans were in LoL for a while now

What I like with Wild Rift is the actual gameplay is much quicker which means less time to commit, less time to be toxic, less time feeling you are wasting your time if you get feeders/trolls/etc

And since it's mobile, people don't chat very much - even though you still can.

I am close to Plat in Wild Rift and it made me want to try out LoL again, 1 game of LoL and noped out of that.

I am very saddened my large skin collection didn't transfer over though, hard to justify rebuying skins at all

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor

Back in the 90's I had an uncle who thought he was the coolest with his 70's mustache, Italian fro and his collection of Eagles and John Denver 8-track casettes. He was nice, but that shit was cringe as fuck.

Nowadays I know I've become him as a gamer. I will die with my mouse and keyboard for any and all gaming.

• 1WTF

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
eh... I'm pretty sure 2023 will be doable now that the process is established. They also have a lot of assets built out now, so a lot of time saved creating the world/characters, especially if it's a continuation of Arcane.

Main question is if Fortiche is acquired by Riot/Tencent to make it even more efficient and how much the studio expands. Because I'm sure Riot still wants to pump out cinematics for LoL things and it would be smart to have multiple shows in production if they are trying to go the MCU route.

Interesting follow-up to this is that Fortiche's head of character animation was on a CG Podcast and gave out some interesting details.

The first episode was already finished five years ago, then there was a 2-3 year gap until they started work on the next episodes! Basically, the first episode was a pilot that they shopped around raising financing for two years before being able to make the rest. It was during that time that Fortiche floated themselves making KDA and basically every graphic in Runeterra.

When they finally got the greenlight, it took them a couple years to finish the rest but in 2019 they started two more offices, one in France and the other in Spain, to expand production and they finished the last three episodes in less than a year.

He wouldn't say how long they've been working on it, but he does admit that they've already started production on S2 and that there wasn't much of a pause between the production of S1 and S2 except for some vacations.

Last edited:

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Alex Seaver AKA Mako released a video on his work as co-composer for the Arcane Soundtrack, specifically about working with Sting and Ray Chen.

It's fascinating from the production aspect but he brings up an important point: CG animation has to be composed from the ground up to fit with these songs. Unlike live action or 2D cartoons where the costs of shooting and animating wouldn't preclude editing things down to fit a given track, it would've been prohibitive to do this after previz on Arcane's layered 3D/2D look.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was kindof wondering about the songwriting process. how that comes to be. Especially with something like this, where its so thematic.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Arcane gets 10 nominations for the 2022 Annie Awards. The Annies are voted on by the animation industry and tend to be highly technical so it's likely to sweep them all. Curious that Ep 6 got a lot of noms though.

The Annies almost always predict the Emmys for TV animated awards.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I started watching this after reading this thread and I guess I must be in the minority but I wouldn't describe it as amazing, at least after 7 episodes. It's definitely good but I was expecting blow-me-off-my-feet after reading this thread. Definitely solid and the animations are amazing. I'm wondering if I'm missing some things because I haven't played LOL and don't know any of the lore. Either way, still a good show but I'll take The Witcher or The Expanse over this any day.

• 2Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Witcher
grandpamaison.gif

• 2Like
  • 2Worf

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
The Expanse has turned into a raging dumpster inferno too, which is a shame.

On a side note, in an interview the editors for Arcane said that the original opening for Arcane was actually Silco's drowning scene, which was moved to the beginning of the third episode.

I love the intro that we got instead, but I like how that original edit would've established the whole season as the story of Silco's Zaunite Revolution.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I started watching this after reading this thread and I guess I must be in the minority but I wouldn't describe it as amazing, at least after 7 episodes. It's definitely good but I was expecting blow-me-off-my-feet after reading this thread. Definitely solid and the animations are amazing. I'm wondering if I'm missing some things because I haven't played LOL and don't know any of the lore. Either way, still a good show but I'll take The Witcher or The Expanse over this any day.

A lot of it is lowered expectations after years of incompetence at Netflix, Amazon, Blizzard, EA, etc, etc. They didn't need to push any social messages, just tell a decent story. The show is solid from start to finish and you have to give massive credit to Riot. It may not be a 10, but compared to WoT, Cowboy Bebop live-action, and a slew of other shows...it's a 10.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Fadaar

That guy
This and Hawkeye were pleasant surprises. Hawkeye I had no expectations for and loved, Arcane I expected it to look pretty and that's it. Needless to say it blew that right out of the water.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users