Archeage

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Got my wolf pet to 55 and put the 20gold lvl55 gear on him and he is a beast. Hitting for 2k on lvl 7 ancestrals in WHM. If you didn't level a pet I would do it. I put him on a mob and solo another, both mobs die about the same time.

Molten Core Raider
Go tell your Gamigo bosses to get the patch that's about to hit in Korea over here asap. Need those Hiram dailies changed to weekly quests, stat.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So is this thread for both the original and Unchained? I saw a review that made me think Unchained might be some fun, but on the fence....

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, apparently xl has teamed up with kakao games to start work on archeage 2, apparently to be made in unreal 5.

the two biggest Korean developers of grindy cash grabbity goodness, working together. The pay2win for this one will be strong.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I fucking hate that. Korean dev houses always produce amazing beautiful games with interesting gameplay mechanics...then they pay2win the fuck out of it and make it so if you aren't paying hundreds of dollars a month, you'll never be top tier.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I fucking hate that. Korean dev houses always produce amazing beautiful games with interesting gameplay mechanics...then they pay2win the fuck out of it and make it so if you aren't paying hundreds of dollars a month, you'll never be top tier.

It's a different culture in South Korea - they're used to this level of dumbass cash-grabbing. Outside of China and Japan, the Asian markets don't have experience with games like EverQuest and 2004 World of Warcraft, but they are one of the biggest markets when you combine Japan, China and South Korea into one. One that outrivals the neckbeardism of the west. They see it as an art medium that you pay for and their culture accepts buying power, as their whole society is based on 'someday getting rich and famous and being able to buy your way to the top'. Likewise, failure is punished in the opposite extreme. Top businessmen commit suicide when they have massive financial losses instead of accepting failure and finding a different way to resolve it.

South Korean game devs will outright refuse to work with anyone that isn't Korean (or Asian) because of these fundamental differences in opinion like you've posted above. You might be thinking, 'well that's racist of them', but they don't care. It fits South Korean cultural norms

This is why companies like Hangame/NHN USA (also known as ijji), Aeria Games, K2 Network (pre-Reloaded acquisition), Webzen Global, Netmarble, Smilegate West and other companies have all terrible Glassdoor reviews - they treat the highschool/college age employees from Western / Middle Eastern countries like absolute garbage. They know low-income countries in the west will eat up their regurgitated pay-to-win bullshit. And for those that don't catch on that are in somewhat educated countries like the US, Germany, France, Russia, UK and other so-called 'first world countries' - they hire people from those countries to peddle the games for them.

This isn't 2000 anymore and the MMORPG genre is overflowing with garbage cash grabs. The approach of Korean devs is to make the garbage 'pretty' instead of making the gameplay good or fun, because it monetizes better and can support the inane level of personnel required to make the games look nice.

This mentality, of course, does not translate to the western market well, at all. We see high fidelity engines like CryEngine get used to make ArcheAge and it looks visually appealing - like a painting - and then you get into the game, has hooks designed to appeal to Western markets like 'free for all PvP' or 'sandbox MMO'. These games propped up by US/UK community managers that don't give a fuck about who gets screwed over as they peddle this stuff and get paid, of course. These games are absolute pay to win garbage at endgame each time, and designed to hook and get you to spend to get there.

The worst is that they take good, amazing people like Scott Hartsman for a fool. Rift went F2P, likely due to no fault of Hartsman - it probably made sense from a financial standpoint based on ArcheAge's success. Then he signed up to publish other garbage like Devilian which was a massive failure in the east, let alone here in the west.

We need less games focused on global appeal, and more 'niche' games like EverQuest. They were initially targeted to, in EQ's case, D&D and roleplaying nerds. But not fans of IPs or mass appeal, mass profit games like modern-day FFXIV, Star Trek Online etc. These games feel like they're trying to appease people based on their knowledge of a universe or world; instead of using the universe to create good gameplay, they use it to have broad appeal to people who like that property. Fans of good game design should always have a game like EQ on release to play, The creation of the game and upkeep of the game should not cost the company millions of dollars of incoming revenue from running the game, or venture capitalists investing in the game. In that respect, I love the subscription model for that purpose alone. A game succeeds on its own merits, or rather, I believe it should - but only if people actually want to play it... and are not duped into spending money on something they might not even enjoy.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's a different culture in South Korea - they're used to this level of dumbass cash-grabbing. Outside of China and Japan, the Asian markets don't have experience with games like EverQuest and 2004 World of Warcraft, but they are one of the biggest markets when you combine Japan, China and South Korea into one. One that outrivals the neckbeardism of the west. They see it as an art medium that you pay for and their culture accepts buying power, as their whole society is based on 'someday getting rich and famous and being able to buy your way to the top'. Likewise, failure is punished in the opposite extreme. Top businessmen commit suicide when they have massive financial losses instead of accepting failure and finding a different way to resolve it.

South Korean game devs will outright refuse to work with anyone that isn't Korean (or Asian) because of these fundamental differences in opinion like you've posted above. You might be thinking, 'well that's racist of them', but they don't care. It fits South Korean cultural norms

This is why companies like Hangame/NHN USA (also known as ijji), Aeria Games, K2 Network (pre-Reloaded acquisition), Webzen Global, Netmarble, Smilegate West and other companies have all terrible Glassdoor reviews - they treat the highschool/college age employees from Western / Middle Eastern countries like absolute garbage. They know low-income countries in the west will eat up their regurgitated pay-to-win bullshit. And for those that don't catch on that are in somewhat educated countries like the US, Germany, France, Russia, UK and other so-called 'first world countries' - they hire people from those countries to peddle the games for them.

This isn't 2000 anymore and the MMORPG genre is overflowing with garbage cash grabs. The approach of Korean devs is to make the garbage 'pretty' instead of making the gameplay good or fun, because it monetizes better and can support the inane level of personnel required to make the games look nice.

This mentality, of course, does not translate to the western market well, at all. We see high fidelity engines like CryEngine get used to make ArcheAge and it looks visually appealing - like a painting - and then you get into the game, has hooks designed to appeal to Western markets like 'free for all PvP' or 'sandbox MMO'. These games propped up by US/UK community managers that don't give a fuck about who gets screwed over as they peddle this stuff and get paid, of course. These games are absolute pay to win garbage at endgame each time, and designed to hook and get you to spend to get there.

The worst is that they take good, amazing people like Scott Hartsman for a fool. Rift went F2P, likely due to no fault of Hartsman - it probably made sense from a financial standpoint based on ArcheAge's success. Then he signed up to publish other garbage like Devilian which was a massive failure in the east, let alone here in the west.

We need less games focused on global appeal, and more 'niche' games like EverQuest. They were initially targeted to, in EQ's case, D&D and roleplaying nerds. But not fans of IPs or mass appeal, mass profit games like modern-day FFXIV, Star Trek Online etc. These games feel like they're trying to appease people based on their knowledge of a universe or world; instead of using the universe to create good gameplay, they use it to have broad appeal to people who like that property. Fans of good game design should always have a game like EQ on release to play, The creation of the game and upkeep of the game should not cost the company millions of dollars of incoming revenue from running the game, or venture capitalists investing in the game. In that respect, I love the subscription model for that purpose alone. A game succeeds on its own merits, or rather, I believe it should - but only if people actually want to play it... and are not duped into spending money on something they might not even enjoy.

The Koreans seem like the only country willing to dump the resources to make a major MMO title these days. All the stuff coming out of the west is basically kickstarter stuff that's been in development for 5 years and not done yet. Maybe the Amazon MMO might come out?

Cybsled

You hit on another point: WoW both elevated and killed the MMO market, and now it is much harder to fund AAA mmos because the investment vs. return just isn't there. Part of FFXIV's success is no doubt people sick of WoW and wanting something on that same tier (it also helped that Yoshi P had played UO, EQ1, WoW, etc and not only understood how the MMO market developed over time, but what actually worked and what players were sick of).

But the market itself, much like the BR market, got over-saturated and also realized that the pay-per-month playerbase wasn't willing (or able) to shoulder multiple ongoing subscriptions. Kind of like how many people in the streaming market are discovering when they pull their shit from Netflix, try to fly solo, then are perplexed that no one wants to pay another sub for their own niche streaming service. You're never going to get a big budget EQ1. Maybe some kickstarter labor of love that finds a niche audience, but people thinking "EQ1 with gooderer graphics will be a huge success!" are fucking delusional. FFXIV 1.0 basically tried to be a modern EQ1 and FFXI, and failed hard because the project heads were still stuck in 1999-2001 like a quarter of this message board seems to be lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I got a youtube ad for this during watching :emoji_owl:

I'm guessing this is the current expansion for the original? Lovely music and art but the lighting has that flat anime look. Maybe using unreal will help with that.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
New fresh start server is coming on the 25th, at the same time as the gunslinger class (some say its used as an archery support) and rumor is the Akasch invasions are alot like rifts from... Rift. So that should be interesting at least.
I am not 100% whether you need to buy the expansion to access fresh start if you have bought it the first or second time around but you do need to buy it for the gunslinger.

I wanted to mention it to build a little hype here, since it hasn't been mentioned but it should at least be fun for a month or two. Ill toss em $16 to check it out and fill this void I have while waiting for either TBC classic or a new EQ TLP.

aau.png

aaupacks.png

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
To clarify on the "if i need to buy anything" question for fresh start servers I found two examples, whichever you find clearer:

If you already bought aau basic game sometime before March 12th 2021 you still need to buy an Akasch Invasion Pre-Order pack to get acces to the fresh start server, Silver 15.99 - Gold 29.99 - Archeum 59.99, includes also the gunslinger skillset.

Starting from March 12th 2021 there are base packs ( The ArcheAge: Unchained Pack and the The Archeum ArcheAge: Unchained Pack) that contains the basic game plus fresh starter access but not the dlc for gunslinger skillset.

It's explained in the FAQ, but maybe it is hard to understand.

You have access to the new FS servers if:
(1) you buy the basic game after March 12, 2021 -> you don't have the DLC, but you can buy it additionally if you want to
(2) you buy the new DLC (and have bought the basic game before 12, 2021) -> you have the DLC

source: the very first question of the FAQ

you will need to purchase an Akasch Invasion Pack or purchase a base game package after March 12, 2021 to receive access to these servers. There will not be Fresh Start servers for ArcheAge Free-to-Play.

to fully understand it, you also need to read this question:

Q: Do I gain access to ArcheAge: Unchained if I purchase the Akasch Invasion Pack?
A: To access ArcheAge: Unchained, you will need to purchase the base game.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been debating playing the new fresh start for a couple months too, and ya you need to purchase the 16$ pack to play it I think. If you think of it/play it like a season game, it's pretty fun at the start. Lots of pvp, drama and gearing up.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there a decent solo pvp class? Making friends is for hobos.
Youll never go wrong with staff mage.

Theres a lot of changes coming and whether any of the "meta" will transfer from korea is very subjective, due to general server class disparity. NA seems to love playing darkrunners because its a very solo PVP playstyle.

I found a video for this patch for balance changes and the meta in this guys opinion with access to the korean version.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
It will definitely benefit you to join a guild, and there are gonna be tons of pugs for all the main stuff you'll he doing like hiram dailies and daily events (aegis, whalesong, CR, etc). For more competitive content like abyssals youre gonna start needing a guild probably. Soloing is fun too, you can roam around and gank people farming pretty easily, the benefit being you'll get honor to buy gems with. Generally you're gonna choose either sorcery, battlerage or archery, add shadowplay, and flex a third tree depending on playstyle and the tools you want/need. If I play I'm probably going archery/shadowplay/gunslinger this time around because it's new, but be aware archery can be weaker than melee or caster sometimes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Molten Core Raider
The fresh start server thing has never really grabbed me. So much stuff in this game comes from long grinds, I'm too materialistic to give it all up to start over on another server. Although that usually means staying on servers that are ghost towns.